SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncyasmin

When are cats too old for new tricks?

ncyasmin
16 years ago

My first post on this forum, and did a little searching around but could not find anything fully relevant, so here goes....

I've been having this internal debate about whether or not to declaw my cats. I was adopted by a sweet little girl who quickly bestowed upon me four cute little babies.... While we had all intentions of placing three of them in good homes (keeping one as company for Gata-Mami), they quickly developed personalities, received names, and well, totally endeared themselves, so they are here to stay. That said, I've always been a dog person and had hoped one day to adopt a puppy now that my life allows the time, but Gata-Mami had other designs. I've quickly learned that there are few similarities in training dogs and training cats. The upshot -- my babies have about destroyed my house. We have tried the bitter apple sprays, the water bottle squirt approach (which created the real risk of growing mold just about everywhere in the house), the stern "NO!" approach, the shove them away approach, as well as a few others; none seems to work. We trim their nails, they have scratching posts and a nice little cat-condo thing with plenty of scratching surfaces, but alas... they still scratch away. Is there any hope of breaking them of the habit? I really don't want to declaw them as I do think there is something cruel and inhumane about the process. Mom is just over 2 years old and her brood is just over one year old. They are 100 percent inside cats. Thanks very much for any advice!

Yasmin

Comments (7)