SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Teaching An Old Dog New Tricks!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
16 years ago

Ever since we moved here in 1999, my garden methods have been closely scrutinized by the local gang of "old farmer" and "old rancher" types who haven't missed a chance to tell me that I do everything the wrong way.

Among the problems they had with how I do things: I plant in wide raised beds with narrow pathways. ("You can't even get a tractor in there..." they said.) I interplant and companion plant my veggies with tons of other veggies, herbs and flowers ("Why do you plant those weeds in there?" queried one of them constantly.) I don't use chemical pesticides ("The bugs will get everything and you'll get nothing.") I mulch. ("That doesn't look as good as nicely plowed soil.") I often plant in a grid pattern, with rows offset from one another on purpose. ("You can't plant a straight row, can you?") I plant tomatoes in containers. ("You can't keep that thing watered all summer. It will dry out.") I don't use chemical fertilizers. ("That liquid seaweed junk isn't any good for your plants.") I plant "too early" say some of them, and "too late" say others. (I plant by soil temperature readings and not by the calendar.) In general, I think they regarded me as one of those "organic-gardening hippie freaks". LOL

It has been a trial to keep on doing my thing and listening to their comments without turning every conversation into an argument about whose method is best. I have always tried to be respectful and explain that I grow plants in a biointensive method that is employed by people in many nations (most notably, in France), and that I KNOW I am not planting the way a standard farmer does. I think, in the beginning, they just thought that I didn't know what the heck I was doing.

So, after almost ten years here, I have converted some of them to mostly-organic gardening but they still think I do too many things "the wrong way". However, every year they criticize a little less, and every year one or two of them has tried one or two of my methods and found some reason to decide it is an "acceptable" way of doing things.

On Thursday, one of them stopped by and watched me plant tomatoes. He is in his late 80s. I will say that he has come a long way since I moved here (and he is one of my favorite people). He now grows some heirloom tomatoes, grows some tomatoes in containers, uses less chemicals than before, and even has conceded (to my DH, but not to me! LOL) that "she knows what she's doing. She's really smart."

He looked at my landscape fabric, mulch and soaker hoses and told me "I'm gonna plant my tomatoes like that this year." Oh, really? After almost ten years of giving me grief, he's finally come around. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so I played it cool and just said something like "Oh, that's good. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me."

So, after all these years, I guess he's not going to keep on trying to change my gardening methods and is even going to adopt some of them himself. I didn't think it would ever happen. Most of the other "old farmers" or "old ranchers" are no longer with us, (or they are still here but too frail to garden any longer) and I almost (but not quite) miss hearing their nagging-type comments.

Anyway, I am just glad that somebody around here finally conceded that I was doing things "right" after all. I have always shared my produce, flowers and fruit with them, and I guess nothing succeeds like success since my garden tended to outperform theirs. And, no, I am not gloating. It is more a feeling of relief and of finally (maybe, just maybe) being accepted. (To life-long residents, those of us who moved here will always be newcomers though. Recently a lady in town said, "Well, I've been here 30 years and I am still an "outsider". LOL)

Dawn

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES