SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugar_fl

computer bitting the dust.. Avast won't work.

sugar_fl
13 years ago

My computer is dying. Avast won't work either.. I had to do a system restore to even get my computer to boot up but Avast still didn't work. I rebooted & again had to do a system restore. I don't have a virus detector right now. I have most that I want saved.. I just hate to have to start over.. I don't like new things..it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks... not having a working virus detector scares me too..

Thanks,

Dar

Comments (44)

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

Have you tried rebooting into Safe Mode? If so, how did the system function then?

Is Avast still not working or did you remove it? If removed, how did you do it?

What else is running in the background?

DA

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I rebooted in safe mode.. was the only way I could do it..I don't know what all is running in the background.
    Avast isn't working & NO I didn't remove it..
    Right now it is working but no virus detector.
    Dar

• Related Discussions

Desert Rose won't grow, won't flower

Q

Comments (20)
    Hi guys thanks for all your help- I am not going to repost in the other forum at this time b/c I think I got some very good information here. I went to walmart today and they were out of cactus mix. Sigh. They did have a bag of perlite tho- but I wanted to check with you guys first if this is the correct thing to buy, and if so- what do I do with it. I have a bag of miracle grow potting soil- I am assuming I need to mix these two together. I also have some small gravel- about bean sized. I plan to put him in a terra cotta pot since plastic holds the water and doesn't breath. I could use some instructions on the dirt mix tho- and as an aside- I purchased a succulent that needs to be repotted- do I use the same type of soil for him? I also have two lemon trees I grew from seed that I wanted to put into citrus mix, however they didn't even carry that this year. No they don't ever grow lemons, sometimes they flower but that's ok- the leaves smell really nice.
    ...See More

Avast or Malwarebytes is slowing down my computer?

Q

Comments (17)
    No offense taken. I never recommend realtime applications other than a single AV. Without this limitation a user could inundate there system with applications running in the background which would demand resources and possibly conflict with one another. For all the postive service they could provide the potential negativity is there too. A user has to accept some responsibility for awareness, and protection such as frequent scheduled scans. Just two schools of thought. DA
    ...See More

Computer won't turn on half of the time

Q

Comments (19)
    I just turned my computer on for the first time today, Tuesday. The first time the hard drive light stayed on for a second and turned off. The second time the hard drive light flickered 3 times and then went off. The third time the hard drive light came on solid and then flickered 3 times and then the black screen came up saying "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully....." But then Windows proceeded to load and my computer is now working. I do not hear any beeping sounds. I'd appreciate any more ideas you have with this information. I am taking a video of the lights blinking with my iPhone which makes it easy to remember what happened. Thanks, Ginny
    ...See More

Shower won't work

Q

Comments (3)
    Have you checked the screen on the shower head? It could have debris blocking water flow. This is the most likely cause. Just unscrew the shower head and turn on the water. If you have water, it is the screen. If you don't, then the problem is a little bit more unusual. Check to see if the Moen handle is tightened to the Moen cartridge shaft (normally the handle would fall off it it wasn't)? If it is, the cartridge shaft may be broken. Before replacing the cartridge, I would double check that there aren't any additional shutoff valves that you missed.
    ...See More
  • bpgreen
    13 years ago

If you rebooted in safe mode, Avast won't be running. Nothing that is in your startup will be running. That's kind of the way safe mode works. It boots up with none of the usual programs running in case some of those programs are responsible for stopping you from running.

Download malwarebytes and run a full scan in safe mode. Let it remove any threats it finds.

If you restarted with networking, try running Housecall as well.

After you run both of those, see if you can reboot normally.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had to do a system restore in safe mode..when that finished it rebooted..I already did a MWB scan & it found nothing. Everything seems to be loaded that was there before..just Avast doesn't work.. everything else seems to work.
    I still have to try Housecall..should I remove Avast & try again. I call this my computer from H*** LOL
    I'm gonna try to reboot but if it doesn't come back on without a system restart I'm going to bed.
    I know very soon I'll be looking for a new computer.
    Dar

• mikie_gw
    13 years ago

Think I would uninstall Avast.. then use their removal tool.

If youre addicted to avast try installing again.. but I really like the Microsoft Security Essentials. So simple.. and 1/4 the size for downloading.. less system resources ... and it works !

Here is a link that might be useful: Avast remove tool

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    13 years ago

In a previous post, Mikie mentioned that "less system resources" is one of the attributes of Microsoft Security Essentials.

A friend uses his computer (with just 256 mb RAM) only for email and checking his investment portfolio. Security is Avast and Zone Alarm. Would it be worthwhile from a resource standpoint to trade out these two for Security Essentials?

His Dell Dimension computer is slow to boot (always has been) but, once booted, is very satisfactory. I suspect it's the low RAM. I lurk here daily and have previously tried MANY suggestions for speeding it up ("my computer is slow", etc.) to no avail.

• genes
    13 years ago

Just to chime in here and it may be coincidental, but this am when I turned on laptop, Avast came up and said there was a new update ( I have it on auto update for the signatures, so this must have been a program update), anywho, when it completed it said to finish, Avast needs to reboot your computer etc..So I did and when it finished, everything was really sluggish, page loading etc. So, I rebooted 2 more times (it sometimes helps) same deal..I restored back 1 day and it came up with...Avast had trouble downloading the last update so I let it do it again, rebooted and all was well...First time Avast has given me any lick of trouble

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I finally just got on.. I turned off the computer last nite & again the only way I could get on was & do a system restore..it rebooted after that. It takes forever to get back on..
    Everything seems to be working except Avast.
    I don't know why I always have to do a restore to boot.

Mikie does security Essentials also have a firewall?
    If changing virus detector doesn't correct this I will have to bite the bullet & get a new one.. When I have to get Windows 7 I won't be able to use some of my favorite programs.
    I have to go to the Dr in a few minutes so won't do it right now.
    Sooner or later I'm not going to be able to get here to ask for help..probably sooner :(
    Dar

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I saw genes post & tried to do an update.. it said mine was the latest..

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

no MSE does not have a firewall neither does AVAST free.

You can run any online scan with out removing your AV just go to it and run it here is one I usually recommend
    FREE Online Virus Scan

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I removed Avast.. had problems getting the remover & had to do it in safe mode..I had already downloaded Security Essentials. At 1st it didn't want to update but on 2nd try it did.. The bootup is OK now.. still slow but what's new. How can one program cause so many problems. I was about ready to throw it out the door. It still has problems but working right now.

Does that online scanner work on FireFox?
    Thanks everyone..
    Dar

• corrine_mvp
    13 years ago

Hi, sugar_fl.

An online scan with ESET is easiest if you use Internet Explorer. If you use an Firefox, it will be necessary to download the ESET Smart Installer.

In looking at one of your logs from last year, this is what showed at that time:

System drive C: has 21 GB (33%) free of 63 GB
    Total RAM: 958 MB (21% free)

It would be a good idea to go to add/remove programs an uninstall any unused program. Go to your documents, pictures, etc. folders and delete what you no longer need. Then, since your computer is aging, I suggest backing up the files that you would be devastated to lose.

Regarding the programs you said won't run on Windows 7 -- have you investigated whether they will run in Compatibility Mode? See the link below.

To determine whether the issue that you are experiencing is caused by one or more system files that are used by Windows, run the System File Checker tool. The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

-- Click Start, and then type cmd in the run box.
    -- Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
    -- If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
    -- At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow (note the space before the backslash)
    -- When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make older programs run in this version of Windows

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just check & Security Essentials isn't updating.. I tried to do it manually & that failed. I guess I am back to square one. My computer seems to be running OK but I need a virus detector that works.
    Dar

• zep516
    13 years ago

Hi,

Please see link titled definition update and click it, when it opens:

Click Run to install the definition update file immediately.

When the definition update file runs, a file extraction dialog box appears. The dialog box indicates that the definition update is installing. After the file extraction dialog box closes, you can verify that the virus and spyware definitions have been updated. To do this, open Microsoft Security Essentials, click Update, and then examine the virus and spyware definitions status.

Those should be:

Virus definitions version: 1.95.3378.0

Spyware definitions version: 1.95.3378.0

Let me all the errors in exact words that you receive in any steps you do.

Here is a link that might be useful: definition update

• zep516
    13 years ago

Don't see the run option then instead click Save File save it to the desktop, from there double click it to run / install it.

Again let us know all errors that you may receive.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jep,
    I followed your instructions BUT it still doesn't work. I believe I did everything you said.
    It is odd that 2 different virus programs won't update.
    Wonder what is going on. I have a feeling if I put in a 3rd it too would fail.

{{gwi:1446528}}

{{gwi:1446530}}
    Dar

• zep516
    13 years ago

Do you still have the hijackthis program? if so post a log from it so we can get a better idea of things ok?

If you don't have it just ask and i can give you the instructions again for hijackthis.

Not looking for malware just want to make sure avast was uninstalled correctly just in case.

• mikie_gw
    13 years ago

Microsoft seems to have a quick fix button
    Might Work !

Here is a link that might be useful: Microsoft ..quick-fix-for-windows-update-client-issues.aspx

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Last nite I got one of the false virus detector.. I hit CANCEL but it started anyway.. I Xed out & did a full Malwarebytes scan & it found nothing.

One question about the FIX IT.. will I have to put in any setting?

Here is the hijack this log..
    Thanks both of you :)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.3 (BETA)
    Scan saved at 11:30:56 AM, on 1/7/2011
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16915)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MsMpEng.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Online Armor\OAcat.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Online Armor\oasrv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    E:\Program Files\uphclean.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
    C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\Monitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Online Armor\oaui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\old-data\Program Files\Weather Watcher\ww.exe
    C:\Program Files\Online Armor\OAhlp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Jasc Software Inc\Paint Shop Pro 9\Paint Shop Pro 9.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe
    C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R3 - URLSearchHook: ZoneAlarm Toolbar - (66f2e20d-0da8-4c11-a9c8-dd8477b88acd) - C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\tbZon1.dll (file missing)
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
    O2 - BHO: Ipswitch.WsftpBrowserHelper - (601ED020-FB6C-11D3-87D8-0050DA59922B) - C:\Program Files\Ipswitch\WS_FTP Home\wsbho2k0.dll
    O2 - BHO: ZoneAlarm Toolbar - (66f2e20d-0da8-4c11-a9c8-dd8477b88acd) - C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\tbZon1.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - (AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D) - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\4.1.805.4472\swg.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: WOT Helper - (C920E44A-7F78-4E64-BDD7-A57026E7FEB7) - C:\Program Files\WOT\WOT.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - (E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: WOT - (71576546-354D-41c9-AAE8-31F2EC22BF0D) - C:\Program Files\WOT\WOT.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: ZoneAlarm Toolbar - (66f2e20d-0da8-4c11-a9c8-dd8477b88acd) - C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarm\tbZon1.dll (file missing)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBAutoUpdate] "C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster\sbautoupdate.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eRecoveryService] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\Monitor.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISW] "C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\ForceField.exe" /icon="hidden"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CheckPoint Cleanup] C:\DOCUME~1\baad\LOCALS~1\Temp\cpes_clean_launcher.exe C:\DOCUME~1\baad\LOCALS~1\Temp\cpes_clean.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [@OnlineArmor GUI] "C:\Program Files\Online Armor\oaui.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSC] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WeatherWatcher] C:\old-data\Program Files\Weather Watcher\ww.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DW6] "C:\Program Files\The Weather Channel FW\Desktop\DesktopWeather.exe"
    O4 - Startup: AccuWeatherDesktop.lnk = C:\Program Files\AccuWeather\Desktop\AccuWeatherDesktop.exe
    O4 - Startup: Secunia PSI.lnk = C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi.exe
    O18 - Protocol: wot - (C2A44D6B-CB9F-4663-88A6-DF2F26E4D952) - C:\Program Files\WOT\WOT.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - (438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - (8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: APC UPS Service - American Power Conversion Corporation - C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
    O23 - Service: getPlus(R) Helper - NOS Microsystems Ltd. - C:\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_HelperSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: Online Armor Helper Service (OAcat) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Online Armor\OAcat.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: Online Armor (SvcOnlineArmor) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Online Armor\oasrv.exe
    O23 - Service: User Profile Hive Cleanup (UPHClean) - Windows (R) Codename Longhorn DDK provider - E:\Program Files\uphclean.exe

--
    End of file - 5954 bytes

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

you never want to x out of one of the rogue fake antivirus pop ups that will install it, you want to either shut down your pc or do control alt delete and shut down your browser. Never ever click on any part of one of those, they have it coded so that no matter what you click on it is an install button.

Honestly I think you need to go back to LzD and start over again doing the clean up scans. Corrine is already aware of your problem and has worked with you before so that would be my suggestion.

• zep516
    13 years ago

I'm unable to reply to any malware related issues. Follow ravens advice.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jep, I understand.
    Thanks for the help on this up to now..
    Raven..
    going to LZD.. I take it I got a virus clicking on the X.. I'll know better from now on.
    Dar

• corrine_mvp
    13 years ago

Excellent advice, R-C!

Dar, I suspect the computer was already infected prior to the popup. That was likely why Avast stopped working. I saw you online at LzD and will be watching for your logs.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Corrine,
    I am working on downloading the things U ask to be done before posting there.
    I hope I won't be too much longer. I am glad U are familiar with what is going on in my computer.
    Thanks,
    Dar

• corrine_mvp
    13 years ago

You're welcome. Dar.

I've responded. When all is cleared up, we'll need to talk about the old programs you have that you don't think will run on a new computer with Windows 7. There may be alternatives or compatibility mode may work.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just letting everyone know that with Corrine's help everything is updated. Still using Security Essentials.
    Dar

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

thanks Corrine! glad to see Dar is getting the help she needs at LzD, I knew that would be the best option.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bad news.. MSE is not updating again..I have already put a post in LZD..I don't understand what is going on..
    Dar

• big_al_41
    13 years ago

I'm no computer guru ..but are you running TWO firewalls??? Armor and Zone alarm???

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Big Al,
    I did a search & come up with nothing about Zone Alarm.
    I too see a Zone Alarm toolbar listed. I don't know where it is or how to delete it. I looked under toolbar & it isn't showing.
    I had Avast for sometime before it stopped updating.
    Dar

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I see Zone Alarm toolbar under extensions but it isn't activated. I don't know how to get it out.

I see a lot of things for ICQ which I haven't used in years.
    It isn't listed in ADD & REMOVE but but I clicked on a folder in search & got an option to do a complete removal. If I do that I won't be causing a problem with something else will I?
    It would hopefully make a little more free space on my computer.
    Thanks for any info on this,
    Dar

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

Dar just go back to LzD and ask them to help you remove those old items it can be done more easily through some of the tools used.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I started this off at the beginning saying...My computer is dying.. Well now I'm saying...My computer is DEAD. I am on my old 98 computer right now. I won't be able to get to the store to get one for a few days. I don't know how to get into LZD to let them know..
    This seems quite different now but I guess when I have to get Windows 7 I'll really be lost.
    Boy last nite it gave me a fit & this morning wouldn't come on.
    This 98 one sure seems fast after fighting with the other one.. Last nite I was ready to throw it out the window it gave me so much trouble.
    I'm sure when I get Windows 7 I'll be calling for help..
    This is better than none for now.
    How much updating should I do for a few day. Firefox wanted to update but I skipped it.
    It has AVG 7.5 on it but isn't working.. I see no signs of a firewall. Should I install them for a few days use?
    I sure didn't have much on it. I had most I wanted saved off the other one but a few Bookmarks but they should be on Xmarks IF I can figure out how to use it.
    Dar

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Since I found out my APC backup has died I wonder if there is any chance that had anything to do with how my computer has acted the last month..it was almost useless last nite.
    I feel like it would come on now but the way it has acted the last month I'm ready to call it quits with it.
    I'd like to disable it before putting it in the trash in case it at least comes on. How would I do that? I wouldn't want anyone going into everything on it.
    Dar

• susieq07
    13 years ago

You are not rid of Avast, which is no doubt the reason you can not get update on other, conflicts, remove avast completely, I use AVG 9 on 4 PC's here 2 are XP 2 are W7, have NP's on any of them..also use mb, NP's or conflicts.And if you have anything norton, then you really got a problem..

• cat_ky
    13 years ago

Very few anti virus now will work on windows 98. You will need to completely remove avg from the 98. Clam Win is one anti virus, that does work with windows 98, and it seems to do a very good job. It is also free. Some of the firewalls also do not work well on windows 98. I have found that Tiny Firewall, (older version), actually still does do a good job protecting windows 98 y.

Have you tried the other puter without the APC. Might be worth a try. Good Luck

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

xmarks is easy no problem there that can be easily handled just ask if you need help, you just install the xmarks add on to the new pc's firefox or Ie which ever you had it on with the old one and then once xmarks is install just hit sync and it will add all the stuff that was on your old one to the new one, it will ask if you want to add the bookmarks that are already on the new one (each new pc comes with a bunch of bookmarks usually for the pc brand etc) you can say yes or no to that.

yes a failing APC can most definitely make a difference I would try the pc with it plugged directly into the wall no APC in the picture.

As cat said be very sure you check any program such as AV or firewall to see if it is 98 capable many are not.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

Dar I went ahead and posted your new info on LzD for you here is the link to your thread there.

Here is a link that might be useful: LzD thread

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susie,
    I have searched & can't find any Avast on it. I also went into the folders. I just did a search on this one & there is quite a bit Norton leftover on it still. AVG is on too & was working when I stopped using this one. I hope to have another one Monday if everyone would just get well..I don't drive (never learned) & all my rides are truly sick.

Cat,
    I think I will try the XP tonite. I do know it has a LOT of problems & need to be started over..it is not worth spending $150 to do that.
    Nite before last I was trying to fill out a form to order something.. it took over 30 minutes to do it.. The cursor kept freezing plus it wouldn't scroll without freezing. Some on here can vouch for all the problems I have had.
    If I can get it running I can at least check to see if there is anything else I want saved. I tried to keep things saved as I knew this day was coming.
    Yes I know now the APC is probably why it wouldn't turn on but I don't think that had anything to do with the other problems.
    The XP took about 20 minutes to reboot.. this 98 is very fast doing it.
    Thanks,
    Dar

• susieq07
    13 years ago

Norton always leaves something behind to cause problems, get rid of it, this is not always an easy task, but can be done..AVG usually does not cause problems, anything left behind that is..

• corrine_mvp
    13 years ago

Hi, Dar.

I agree with R-C's suggestion to try the Windows XP PC with it plugged directly into the wall outlet. If the PC isn't getting the proper power, that "could" be the problem. However, as it is a Windows XP computer, I suspect it is quite a few years old and could likely be hardware failure.

After you ensure you have everything off the computer you want to save, if you plan on recycling the computer, I suggest you remove the hard drive and smash it with a hammer. Other than purchasing government wipe software, that is the best way to ensure any confidential information is destroyed. (Note: even if you don't have anything confidential stored on the computer, if someone could start the computer and retrieve any logon information, that could potentially provide access to accounts.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is a 2002 computer which I bought in about 2006 reconditioned with a new 1 year warranty. I have always said the problems started a couple years ago when I did a upgrade on Firefox.. may be a total coincidence.
    It has been making a lot of noise..kinda a whirling noise like when U 1st turn one on. I really think there is a lot wrong with the computer. I'll see tonite..

Can I just delete the folders that Norton & Avg is in?
    I don't know if it is worth trying to get a virus detector in for a few days. I turn it off when I'm not on it.
    If I can just delete folders I'll probably try. I see a uninstall for AVG. I must not have had a firewall.
    Thanks everyone.
    Dar

• mikie_gw
    13 years ago

Page below has some basic instructions and links to some tools you can use to clean up after removing antivirus programs.

After using add/remore or revo uninstaller ,, any related folders you find before or after using the 'tool' you can probably safely remove.

Here is a link that might be useful: /antivirus-product-removal-tools.html

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't tried the XP yet but got Clamwin installed & it seems to be working.
    I was looking at Tiny personal firewall & not sure which to get 2.0.9 or 2.0.15A. My guess is since 15 is higher than 9 that is the one but not sure.
    It may be a few days till I can get a new computer.. I'm hoping for Tuesday but wanted this protected till I get it.
    This 98 seems pretty fast. It rebooted in less than a minute.. Maybe compared to the XP being SO SLOW makes this one seem fast. It is nice to have one to fall back on. I hope to try the XP tonite.
    Dar