SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcsend1231

NEED HELP with Kitchen Layout! please

Charla
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

WARNING: LONG POST

hello! I've been to 2 kitchen designers and I'm stuck. Nice folks, but not terribly skilled I'm afraid. Seems like I wound up designing these layouts, so any suggestions would be helpful. I even went to Cliqstudios. Funny, they created a layout JUST LIKE the "L" one I have here!

We do have restrictions in this 1829 home in a historic district: can't move the window; sink has to be 6' from the window (no room for plumbing); can't move the support column (it's in the middle of the hallway); and to switch the fridge and the oven might make it a little tight when the fridge doors are open. Anyway, I'd like thoughts on either the "L" layout, or the "U" layout, please =)

Seems like the "U" layout will only work if the cabinets on the short wall are 12" deep. Would that look odd? The area would basically be a beverage bar, with the coffee maker tucked in the corner & cookbooks on the shelf, and the cabinets would serve as a food pantry. I'd probably love it for entertaining - beverages & appetizers on that counter, etc.

I'm also struggling with the "U" layout in regards to the wall with the fridge. I can either have a 18" cabinet - the fridge - and a filler piece that dies into the corner (first pix). OR I can have a 12" cabinet next to the window - the fridge - and a 6" pull-out pantry (pic. 3). Which is better, a small pull-out pantry or a larger cabinet???

The "L" layout seems fine, but that empty wall seems like it's longing for something - other than a great piece of artwork. There would a 15" floor to ceiling pantry next to the fridge.

So can you comment: Do you like the "L" or the "U" layout best? If you like the "U" layout, would you have the pull-out pantry next to the fridge OR a larger cabinet next to the window? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Comments (12)