SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Gluten-free, dairy-free recipes which might appeal to a young man.

One of my nephews has been diagnosed with IBS, and while he hasn't been diagnosed with lactose intolerance or Celiac disease, his physician has recommended that he avoid dairy products and gluten. He has been eating mostly chicken and rice dishes. He's in his early 20's, missing his favorite fast food meals (he says salads from fast-food places are weird), and not a cook. He can scramble eggs and make pancakes from a mix, can boil water for pasta, and could bake a pizza with a pre-made crust.

My daughter purchased some gluten-free pasta, pancake mix, and snacks, along with coconut flour, tapioca flour, buckwheat flour, and quinoa flour. I have offered to try to make him some bread and pizza crusts with the various flours. I'd also like to make him some cookies--preferably simple recipes that will keep well. He can manage his protein, fresh fruits and vegetables.

When deciding which flours to buy, my DD first asked vegan friends for recommendations. My problem is--the recipes I'm finding online don't use those flours, or the recipes call for ingredients that I have never used, e.g. xanthum gum. Whenever I click on a promising looking recipe, there is always an ingredient or two that I don't have on hand. I don't mind buying a container of almond milk or coconut milk, but I don't want to purchase a lot of ingredients I won't use in other recipes, and ingredients for which I don't have storage space.

My questions: Does anyone have any simple, gluten-free, dairy-free recipes, especially for baked goods, that (other than gluten-free flours) use standard baking ingredients? Does anyone have a favorite gluten-free flour mixture that can be used in a variety of recipes? (Kind of a gluten-free version of Bisquick?) I have baking powder, baking soda, yeast, pearl tapioca, potato starch, non-fat dry milk powder, shortening, vegetable oil, olive oil, peanut butter, and all the usual herbs and spices. I suppose I am being lazy, because I don't want to click on dozens of recipes, just to find that there is an ingredient, or two, that I don't have.

I am hoping we can find a few healthy recipes that he enjoys, and are simple enough that he can learn to make (with consistent results), so he will eventually start cooking for himself. :)

Thank you

Comments (50)