SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Gluten Free, Soy Free, Protein-ful Vegan Loaf?

plllog
10 years ago

Hi Everybody! I haven't been around here for quite awhile. (I've been cooking!) I hope you can help with the above title. I need to produce a meatless main dish with protein that will serve all of my picky eaters. It must be absolutely gluten free and soy free for medical reasons (not fads), as well as vegan for the no-meat people.

I did find one recipe for a red bean and lentil loaf on the web that sounded more like real food than many, and it tasted pretty good, but the texture was lumpy mush. The thing needed eggs! But, of course, even though I can get soy free eggs (i.e., no soy chicken feed), I would really like to keep things vegan so that there will be something for whoever shows up. The recipe I did had flaxseed "eggs". Not sticky enough.

So, analyzing my feeling that it needs eggs, that would be protein for the sticky glue and fat for solidity and body. Is that right?

In searching the web, I found a mention of using garbanzo flour in place of eggs. That makes sense because garbanzos have protein and are pretty rich for beans. I'm wondering if I should try using garbanzo flour to thicken the mix, or if I should substitute white beans (highest in protein) and garbanzos (higher in fat) for the red beans (and adjust the color!).

Any advice would be very welcome. I'm hoping to make a solid loaf that can be sliced, but am open to other things that can be made ahead and don't require a lot of a la minute finishing. If you have a great recipe, that will also be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks for your help.

Comments (23)