SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_513765483

Hurricane Michael Repairs - Need Urgent Exterior Color & Shingles Help

Kittiwake Coast
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, Our home was almost destroyed in Hurricane Michael. Repair work is about to begin. There is significant damage on the back and inside the house but roof repairs come first. That means new shingles and the opportunity to change the entire look of the exterior! We will be replacing the roof (peaked and flat) and repainting the exterior wood and trim.

Image 1: Back of house after storm

Image 2: Front of house after storm

We were lucky no one was hurt but we have moved 4 times in the last 6 months with kids, dogs, and too much stuff. To be quite honest, I'm too burnt out to make large decisions like choosing exterior colors right now. I desperately need help choosing an exterior palette - shingle color and type (architectural, 3 tab, or other ), exterior paint color, trim color, door color or replacement, gutter color, etc...

The house is currently dark gray with slate-colored architectural shingles but I am open to changing the exterior palette completely - I've been looking at photos of light gray shingles with white paint and dark trim, brown shingles and brown siding/trim, gray again (darker?), wood trim, etc. I've added some of the photos of other houses I like at the end of this post.

Image 3: Front, slightly left, can't see much of the garage and carport from this angle.

The contemporary home style, vertical siding, and lack of a street-facing front door poses it's some challenges. I am also considering a new garage door and front to freshen things up - Modern frosted glass panel or teak- colored perhaps? Any suggestions are much appreciated. What would you do?

Image 4: Front Left, board and batten

Image 5: Middle front with front (?) door number 1 on side of living-room.

Image 5a: Middle with front (?) door number 1 on side of living-room. We NEVER use this door since it does not have a walkway, is on the opposite side of the house from driveway, and enters directly into the living-room without an interior entrance space but I suspect it was the original front door. Board and batten.

Image 6: Front(?) door no 2 on side of house / carport. This is the door we use and has an entrance hallway and coat closet. Considering replacing this door and the garage door.

Image 7: Front right, entrance, with carport and garage attached (flat roof)

Image 8: Front right, different angle

Image 9: Full house front, gray - current

Image 10: Front left

Image 11: Full house front when it was white, white shingles and dark brown trim.

Unfortunately I don't have great photos of the house - the shrubs have taken over since the storm (everything grows fast in the south) so it's hard to get a good picture. When work starts we will cut all the shrubs down, including the huge holly that dominates the front and we will do fresh landscaping. I'll see if I can dig up some older photos of the house when things were maintained a little better.

Please be as specific as possible, I'm overwhelmed, don't have much time to decide on things, and I really am having a hard time making decisions. I'm really looking forward to all your input.

• Shingle Style and Color
  • Exterior Color
  • Exterior Trim Color (windows and doors)
  • Eve / Gutter Color
  • Under Eve Color (ours are extra wide)
  • Garage Door Replacement Style and Color
  • Front Door Replacement Style and Color
  • Chimney Color (currently painted)
  • Foundation Color (currently painted)
  • Pediment Color highlight?
  • Wood highlights?

Thanks in advance! I'll be sure to post the after photos when everything is finished! I'll be asking for help for kitchen, dining, and sun room too sometime soon.

Below are some photos of similar homes that I like for ideas. They are not in any particular order.

Comments (6)