SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsaylaflamme

Exterior stone placement help

4 years ago

Hi there,

I’m really struggling with my exterior material selections and placement for my new build. I’m going for an “updated traditional farmhouse” look that I want to feel classic. When I first started the process of this design a few years ago I was all over the modern farmhouse trend, but have realized I’m much more transitional and want my forever home to feel timeless, not trendy.
I’m in a neighbourhood that mandates using some stone, brick, or stucco. My budget is not large by any means. At one point I really wanted real wood board and batten but it looks like I am going to have to settle for vinyl (for the short term at least). What I’m most concerned about is getting the stone placement correct as this isn’t something I’m going to update later. I want the home to feel grounded and don’t want the “hip wader” look of a misplaced stone skirt. With budget in mind, do any of you have any ideas about what materials you think would work best here. I went with the black windows and I’m thinking a creamy ‘off-white’ for the board and battens (and shake or lap). The stone I’m leaning towards is overgrouted -shades of grey/cream blend. I want the contrast to come from the widows and stone but have everything else be quite tone on tone, only letting textures be a point of difference. Thoughts? Please help!

Thanks so much

Comments (66)