SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewjagor

Zoysia vs. Fescue in Backyard + Seeding Fescue in Front?

generals1992
5 years ago
Landscapers - I’m not an expert on different types of grass by any means, just know some general guidelines and looking to get some clarification on conflicting advice I’ve received.

When I bought my house ~15 months ago, I was told that my backyard received too much sun for fescue and knew sodding was cost prohibitive with my other renovations, so I have left the issue alone. I recently broached the subject with my landscaper (who is also a family friend) and he told me that he actually thought fescue would do well in my backyard. Other family members have had their yards seeded with fescue but one particular company who has done excellent work I have seen first hand - they are telling me no to fescue but that they can seed for zoysia. Sod is not an option at this point as I have too much else to do and can’t afford to sod my front and back yards.

Issue #1: Fescue vs. Zoysia

Take a look at these pictures of my backyard - it is truly 60/40 full sun/partial shade. Current Bermuda/weed combo won’t touch the shady areas, which leads me to believe Bermuda/zoysia would have trouble growing in the same spots. On the contrary, the center of the yard gets a good bit of morning sun and makes me concerned it might get too hot for fescue in the summer. Is that something I can overcome with thorough watering? I would prefer fescue, but want to make sure that it can indeed tolerate some morning sunlight and will be OK in backyard.

Issue #2: Is seeding zoysia worth the cost savings?

My front yard faces west and has no shade from trees or structures. It is clearly best suited for zoysia. The cost to till/aerate/seed with new zoysia is minimal compared to sodding, but is it worth the time commitment to save money with seeding? If it’s going to be 3-5 months for it to fill in like fescue, that’s one thing - but I don’t want to be 16 months in with bare patches. Has anyone done this?

For perspective: the back of my house faces true east. These photos were taking around 6pm.

Comments (4)