SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danrmnc

Bermuda front, Fescue back

Dan M
7 years ago

Happy New Year everyone! I have a tricky lawn dilemma that I'd love some suggestions on.

I moved into a new home in NC 3 months ago. The neighbor to my left and all the homes across the street have full fescue lawns The neighbor to my right and I both have seeded fescue in the back yard and bermuda sod in the front and sides of the house. My last home was full fescue and I understand what it takes to maintain a successful fescue lawn. As the weather turned colder and the lawn turned more and more yellow, my neighbor and I are contemplating what to do with the bermuda. Our options seem to be:

1) Keep the bermuda and hope that eventually the edge of the bermuda grass and fescue grass will blend over time. The bermuda will gradually overtake some of the fescue and we'll have to deal with a few bermuda spots in our lawns and our neighbors' lawns. If we want the bermuda to be green, we could use one of the bermuda spray paints that are on the market.

2) Overseed the front with rye so that we have some green during the non-summer months. But then we'd have fescue, bermuda, AND rye to deal with.

3) Convert the back yard to bermuda-NOT something we want to do. I'm at a little under 1/2 an acre and most of my lawn is in the back. Plus, I really like the fescue.

4) Convert the front to fescue. The sod is relatively new (I can still see the edges of the pieces put down), so maybe I can pull it up. I've also seen on here that Roundup, a tiller, time and patience will also get rid of the bermuda grass.

5) Maybe I'm missing something?

Any suggestions or discussion would be great.

Comments (3)