SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connie_wiener

Design my kitchen - help overcome my concerns

Connie Wiener
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are adding 6 feet to the first floor of our new home. I'm frozen with fear of making a mistake. I envisioned the process would have be similar to an 'HGTV Flip or Flop' designer coming in with wonderful ideas to improve & better utilize our space. What I actually have is a builder friend of my husband adding 6 feet and that's that. Both my husband and our builder are opposed to seeking the advice of an architect or designer. Frankly, I feel ill and paralyzed to move forward.

I prefer frameless cabinets. It would be nice to incorporate a desk. Other than that, smart & functional is important as well as being resale appropriate.

Some of my concerns include:

1) what to do with mandatory column between family room and kitchen

- hiding it within a 6-foot floor-to-ceiling coat closet (wall E) as proposed by my husband? Would
that be too bulky?

- create 1/2 wall E and bench with built in shoe storage?

- ignore the column to keep an open feel?

2) Should wall D have 12" or 24" cabinets or be left open for foot traffic from the basement/laudry
room? Would cabinets make the wall look to cumbersome?

3) Should the cabinets go just on wall A to avoid feeling cluttered or wrap around walls A, B & C?

4) Should the sink be in the island or under a window?

5) Entry door from back yard - we currently have sliders and I do love the light, but the width of the house is narrow and they eat into kitchen real estate. Perhaps a single door with vented sidelights?

I have tried playing with cabinet placement, but am totally conflicted with pros and cons. I would love, & be grateful for your input.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!