SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ms_s

Help! I have so many obstacles to overcome in my kitchen design!

ms_s
14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

First of all I want to thank everyone who gave me advice in my previous question

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0602392613177.html

Please take a look at this question because you will see posted a picture of what I wanted my kitchen to be. Which is basically an L-shaped kitchen, made into a U-shape by adding a pennisula bench on one side to seperate my kitchen from my living room which is currently open plan.

Now my huge problem is that where I wanted to put my stovetop, I can't put it there because the builder reminded me that there is a supporting wall there and we cant put an extractor fan there because you can't, or atleast it isnt wise, to drill holls in supporting walls. So my only choice is to put the stove top somewhere on the wall-side arm of the U, (the right side in my sketch) but because that wall is only 2.3m (because of a door) it really messes up the plan of where to put everything else.

You see I really want a wall-oven cabinet unit with the microwave in its cabinet above the oven, but if I have the fridge, the wall-oven and the stove-top on the 2.3m wall....not only do I think you'd be really squeezed for space, but you'd have the entire kitchen in one space and then like 3m of empty bench space on the top wall. My husband suggested that the wall-oven cabinet be on the top wall, but then I thought that it would look so odd by itself, one tall thing by itself just breaking up the space. I just don't know what to do, my husband has no idea what Im talking about, he is not a visual person, he is a hands on person. He has to have the kitchen physically in front of him before he understands what I mean and then he'll say...oh now I get it, yes doesnt look good. Not even with sketches can he visualise.

I am stumped people and the electrician is already in the house (we are building it now) putting in all the wiring, so I have like NO time to finish this. I had my plan all set, that supporting wall making my plan impossible is whats thrown me.

My last hope is that I can have exactly the plan I want, the sketch in my last post, and instead of a tall floor to ceiling corner cupboard/pantry just an underbench corner cupboard and then a wall corner cupboard with a pipe leading from the extractor fan underneath the wall cabinets to the wall on the right which is not a supporting wall, it would only be about 70cm of piping. Or even better on top of the cabinets which won't go completely to the ceiling (which are 3m high). That would totally solve things, my husband says not, but we have this done in our rented house now....my husband says its stupid, but for me it would solve everything and the kitchen triangle and aesthetic won't be compromised.

Thanks so much for any help!

Comments (11)