SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_luke97

buying first remodel, 1906 four square and I have SO MANY QUESTIONS

Erin Luke
3 years ago

Good day! My husband and I (and two young kids) are in the final stages of deciding if we should move from our 1920 home that’s been redone and is totally updated to a 1906 four square that hasn’t been touched since the 1970s. We purchased our current home based on the fact that it worked really well for our family; right number of rooms, home office, lots of light, playroom, lots of bathrooms. It’s a home we could grow with. The potential new fixer doesn’t work as well for our family in terms of designated spaces but it has CHARM. So much incredible wood work, in our dream neighborhood and the capability to make it entirely our own.

The scope of work for the fixer would be as follows and wouldn’t all need to be done at once:
Finish attic
Add master bathroom
Re do powder room and upstairs bathroom
Landscape
HVAC
Electrical
Partially finish basement
Get rid of lots of wallpaper and carpet
And finally... THE KITCHEN, which is where all my headaches start.

The kitchen, is small, about 11x11. It’s in the back corner of the house and not open to anything which I actually prefer to open concept. What I’m struggling with is how to remodel the kitchen. Do we
A) add onto the back of the house and make the kitchen bigger that way
B) relocate the main floor powder room and expand kitchen with existing footprint
C) leave kitchen as is and embrace the size; get creative

Money is a factor, so if we expanded out we would have considerably less to do other work right off the bat with. My dream is to expand it and have an eat in area and really make this the hub of the house, opening to the backyard and garage. Oh, and there is currently a small room off the back of the house . I’m not sure what to call it, we’re in Denver and most old homes have a wood addition on the back that houses shoes and maybe a laundry room. They’re all a little rickety and it’s basically a porch that’s been insulated and windows added. The addition would need to be two stories as there’s a fantastic stained glass door on the second level that exists out on the existing two story covered porch.

Ok, so after all this long winded-ness I guess I just want to talk out old home renovations, ROI and the pros and cons of doing an addition OR some amazing creative solutions for redoing the kitchen as is, small and closed off. The fact that we have two little kids who are only getting bigger plays into our decision making as well. The current kitchen is rough and I’d want to do that first so we can refinance if need be with that part done, and I’m just very confused.

Thanks to anyone who read this far and hopefully we can connect!

Comments (56)

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Have you tested the paint for lead? A 1906 house would have several layers of paint that would be disturbed by remodelling. Has the house been inspected for asbestos?

• Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The neighborhood is great! Everyone just has security doors here 🤷🏻‍♀️. An elderly women has lived there along for years as well so that might be why. I DO NOT want to make it open plan. I love the layout as is. One draw for this house is after the work is done it will be worth so much more due to the neighborhood, type of homes etc. They’re all then if the century and have all been updated save the few like this one here and there. It’s got a large dining room with beautiful built ins; just beyond the bathroom that’s kind of pictured here. Our current house has a counter that the kids can eat at which is handy with little ones for breakfast and lunch but I’m so intrigued by the design challenge in the kitchen. I’d love for it to resemble its original self in the kitchen, think deVol or Hoosier style cabinets instead of a white kitchen with a ton of cabinets. I’m not sure what’s up with the porch as it is, most houses have something like that. The upstairs was originallya deck and then they added walls and a ceiling to make an additional room. A lot of people came here for TB treatment decades ago, so perhaps that’s it.

• Related Discussions

New to composting, So many questions!

Q

Comments (10)
    I use old tires personally. The auto shop I live by gives them to me for free and most others should too because (here at least) the shop has to pay to have them removed from the property and disposed of. I simply cut the sides out, wash them to get rid of any road tar, lay them down and fill them up. When they get full I start another stack. They're so much easier to turn too. All I have to do is push the top tire off, set it upright again and start filling it up from the other tires. The open bottoms are also awesome for allowing bugs, worms, lizards etc. to move in all by themselves. AND the black rubber helps keep in heat during the winter helping it break down even then, not to mention keep my lizard friends happy. I've heard some people claim that they can leech harmful metals into the compost but I don't think thats true. One of the reasons tires are hard to recycle is that the metals are so well bonded to the rubber. But hey I've been wrong before. (its also a great way to reuse pesky tires so they don't end up in dumps) If you're looking for something mobile, I've heard of people composting directly in a wheelbarrow. That way you can just wheel it around. To turn it I guess you'd dump it out then shovel it back in....
    ...See More

Some questions about my first fall square foot garden

Q

Comments (5)
    I never tried "pure Mel's mix". I merely incorporated vermiculite, peat and extra compost into my existing soil. (After all, I'd spent the previous 5 years of gardening amending my clay soil...I didn't want all the previous effort to go to waste, besides, I had finally gotten my mix to the level I was almost happy with it....it was crumbly...full of worms...and wasn't as compacted as it had been.) I have had no problems with moisture retention (of course, that's probably in large part due to the level of clay content) even when I don't water quite as often as I should (life can get down right ridiculous sometimes!). My garden takes only a small step back, but bounces right back when I water, or a big storm comes through. advaya, Your plant choices look perfect. Some others to consider: Parsnips and rutabagas...all root crops do well in the fall garden. Also, they tend to be sweeter after they are nipped by a hard frost. The starches turn to sugars so that they can survive the winter! Personally, I don't even harvest them until I am going to eat them. I just mulch over the top, and if a really cold snap hits....wait for it to thaw out. They are great!
    ...See More

Yikes I see so many white kitchens! Am I making a mistake?

Q

Comments (68)
    PineBaron I'm with your DW on white or really dark, but I've had the white (although not my first choice at the moment) and gonna go for the really dark. Glad to hear I have a buddy in the process :) Sounds like you have a similar color scheme and other ideas I'm going for. I don't know why it makes me feel good to know that I'm not out in lala land with my ideas. lol omg i just clicked on the link! are you kidding me. that is gorgeous property, view, home! Loveit! the interior, the kitchen is what i envision on a smaller scale. I even have several sizes of that long bar hardware pictured in your kitchen drawing. Love the stacked cabinets . May I ask how tall those cabinets are stacked? such a cool look. Just wondering if there is a rule for stacking sizes? I like it when the bottom one is still somewhat tall then the top more of a square. Not sure if I have the ceiling height, but looks like you will! Living room, bathroom love. wow thanks for sharing all the pics. i'm gonna go read the whole thread and I'll be following you! good luck your blessed to have all that, enjoy! thanks again for sharing :)
    ...See More

Need help with Four Square Remodel and addition.

Q

Comments (17)
    If the house has a good foundation, I would say go with it:) The decision is yours though. I have never built a house, but from what I have learned here, some of the less expensive builders limit choices - sometimes severely. There can be a choice of only a few cabinet styles and colors for the kitchen and only a few flooring choices etc. How much will it cost to get new hardwood and the good trim work your house may have? Maybe the inside is in very poor shape, but if there are well crafted elements, think about how much it would cost to replace them. If you go with what you have, you can work on it as you have funds and get what you want. If you think restore - except for the kitchen, your home will be cohesive, even if it takes several years. Are you far from Des Moines? You may have to go to a bigger city to get an architect. I am in Iowa and my countertop guy came a hundred miles to install my counters:) There are online resources for old homes: https://www.oldhouseonline.com/ https://www.oldhouseonline.com/articles/american-foursquare You can also look on Old House Dreams which has old houses for sale. Some are in bad shape, but some have been remodeled. You can filter the search (on the right hand side of the page) by picking "Prairie" because they don't have foursquare as a choice. Look online for forums and other sources for people who own and work on old houses. There are also bloggers working on old houses who blog about the experience. The most recent house being worked on in This Old House resembles a foursquare. The final wrap show is next weekend: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/newton-generation-next-house My house is not nearly as old as yours and I did not have to redo plumbing and electrical. I did have to work on every room, some just cosmetic, some a bit more. Roof, windows, interior doors, floors, AC/heat - all had to be replaced. It was a run down renal when we moved in. I've liked not being limited by a builders choices of what I could do.
    ...See More
  • Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s some of the details that I love

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Okay, I see there is some charm in these last pictures that you posted.

However, I would keep looking.

I agree that this will be a money pit and you admit your home will be overpriced. So, unless you plan to stay forever than you will lose money.

The thing about any renovation, but especially in an old home is that there is a great potential for expensive unknowns.

How old are your kids? How will they handle living with construction?

The pros: Great neighborhood.

The cons: Layout will probably never work as well as you have now.

More money than you can afford.

You will be over priced after your complete renovation.

There has to be something else out there.

• Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think you’ve missed understood. Our house would not end up being overpriced. We would be getting this house for a steal off market . After renovations the house would be worth considerably more, not overpriced. So we’re seeing this as a long term investment because this house after renovations would always be worth more than our current house due to the neighborhood this house is in (both are great neighborhoods, this is just near the country club etc. our kids are 4 and 1.5, they currently have a playroom that we don’t often use as they bring the toys etc our to the living spaces anyway. So I’m considering our house now, what we envisioned when we purchased it and how we actually use it vs this house which for example doesn’t have a playroom but has much larger bedrooms and common spaces (living room etc). We’ve done a small Reno on our 1900 rental and do know that once you open up a wall, even to replace kitchen cabinets , you’re opening up all that’s in that wall and that can increase cost, so we’re factoring that into our budget .

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

I don't think most remodels of the 60s, 70s, & 80s carried much turn-of-the-centry charm into the kitchens. As a DIY old house lover, I'd say do it, especially if you can make it fit your needs while adding back the vintage/antique feel. Having a walkable neighborhood for kids would be a big draw for me.

Can you post a scaled sketch (I realize it might not be exact if you don't have access to the house), with all windows and doors marked? Maybe we can make some suggestions to help you make the decision.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

Gorgeous house. Is there hardwood under the carpets? You're young, your eyes sound fairly open, and you've analyzed the pros and cons.

Will the family nearby babysit so you can focus on the house? It will be a lot of dirty work stripping wallpaper. At least the woodwork isn't all painted!

I'm seeing painted inset cabinets in the kitchen and maybe a reclaimed enamel sink. Maybe marble or soapstone counters. Maybe a big farmhouse range.

The exterior color is hideous, but that's why everyone isn't crawling all over this opportunity!

• partim
    3 years ago

No house is underpriced. Everyone else just sees the $$$$ more realistically than you do. And the time taken away from children, hobbies and friends while you work on the house.

• Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@latifolia you’re on the exact same page as me for the kitchen!!

• Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

I didn’t realize this when I first responded, but from the OP’s responses, it sounds like she actually has made up her mind to buy this house, and came on this forum for people to give advice just on her renovations. In re-reading the OP, I see she is not asking whether she should purchase this property or not, but wants feedback about what is ahead. Erin Luke - since you really have fallen in love with this house, I would take very seriously the comments here about electrical, plumbing, HVAC, asbestos remediation, architect, engineer, etc. and the money and stress that will be involved. I don’t think anyone has mentioned city permits, and whether there are any Preservation Society rules you will have to conform to and get approvals from. So add that to the list of things you need to be prepared for. As is sometimes said on this forum, being in love with a house is akin to having a bad but sexy boyfriend. You will sacrifice a lot to be with him, and it is uncertain whether he will be husband material at the end - but he might be.

I am looking forward to seeing your progress. Please post about it. Good luck!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Ok I see why you are smitten. I think the 300k number is realistic, and only you know if you have the patience for balancing family and renovation at the same time. Some neighborhoods you do get your money back, and some things like hvac you have to replace during your ownership of any home- they just die every ten years (usually on a Friday at six, possibly when the in-laws are staying with you)

Unfortunately no one can give you really advice based on pictures. Measured floor plans and dozens of photos and we could start to have a conversation. You really need a design professional in the space to guide you with these decisions. Even if you do the work yourself pay someone to consult on the plan.

• Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Shannon_WI, both my husband and I are very interested in the possibilities with this house. We haven’t decided yet, but you’re right, I came here to glean some first hand experience about the process. We own several older homes and I work in real estate so I’m aware of the “guts” of the house as I call them, they unpretty, often unseen elements of a home that have to be done. I’ve looked at the zoning and there’s no historical designation. The owners sons have helped her to uodated areas of the home throughout the years. The electrical has been replaced upstairs but not main level for example. Plumbing has been updated on the upper level as well. The sellers assured us theee is no asbestos or lead paint anymore but we would obviously test this during the inspection if we get that far. Given that our current home is beautiful and functions well for us we are seriously considering the time, energy and money that’s involved in a project like this to see if it’s worth it. Currently Denver is seeing a lot of remodels and updates so we’re taking into account the length of time for permits and availability of contractors. That being said most contractors I’ve spoken with are doing a lot of the same kind of work, and dealing with families in older homes. The schools in this neighborhood are also better than our current ones, so that’s a consideration as our kids become school aged. Right now we’re just trying to weight the pros and cons and think in the long term as far as what area we want to be in and how much that’s worth. We are not even considering building a new home as some have mentioned. This potential home is on our favorite block in our favorite neighborhood so if we don’t make this move we’ll stay where we are and be very happy and grateful for all that we already have.

• ericakn
    3 years ago

Our experience has been different than live wire oak‘s. Although our home was built in 1940’s, it needed a ton of work. I am so happy the previous owner didn’t do it so we got exactly what we wanted.

kitchen 30k (reused appliances)

master bath (not an addition) 30k. Additions are expensive but a master bath probably is a must have.

additional bath and half bath around 10K (new tile in full bath but kept the old cast iron tub, kept sink and floor in the kitchen 1/2 bath)

full landscaping with new patio 20k

driveway 10k

Tree removal 10k

plantation shutters 8k

we put some new flooring down in the basement and husband put up one wall of drywall. Cost maybe 2k. It is for working out and has LEGO’s so we don‘t need the fancy basement.

Our ac units are from 1987 and we say a prayer every time we turn them on. Will need to be replaced 15-20k since we are on borrowed time.

We replaced electrical and kept the cast iron stacks. The bills were not over the top. We did not move/remove any walls.

Plaster and brick.... no insulation. The house stays cool in the summer and holds heat just fine in the winter. We even have a huge, beautiful single pane window in our living room. Our gas bill is $50 and electric $123.

Our house is worth more than the purchase price plus renovations. Great location!

Not trying to make it open concept will save so much money. I think they key to roi is to shop around and keep it as simple as possible. Compromises will have to be made but I think people who buy older homes have to be ok with imperfection.

At first we wanted double sinks in the second bath. We would have had to move over a doorway and electrical bringing the cost up to 15k. Instead we got an large custom vanity with one sink. The children will survive. Also embraced the spring green cast iron tub. Those old tubs hold heat and the yellow, white and green bathroom turned out to be quite charming. Saved over $1500.

You may move in and realize you really don’t need to finish the attic or basement. Our house is 2400 and is plenty big even during quarantine. Our kitchen looks a little bigger than yours (no island... gasp) and we just use it to cook although it does have a small table. Our meals are eaten in a small dining room and I would say our living room is the hub of our home.

It looks like a beautiful home and there are certain neighborhoods that people will always be willing to pay to live in.

• roarah
    3 years ago

Lwo is correct on her estimates. I own a 1920s house. We have either already done a lot of work or were quoted amounts for jobs on your list. If budget is a concern walk away if you need all the things on your list to be done.

Here is a price list for what we finished on your list

Hvac and new gas boiler 35k

Master bath addition 8x13 above existing first floor sunroom with basement already existing 60k

Up grade electric to support new Hvac $ 2500

Face lift diy existing kitchen by restaining cabs. Add marble counters and backslash. New sink, faucets and potfiller, All new mid priced appliances 20k 15 years ago. Quotes to add the kitchen I dream of are starting at 73k.

New drive with walk 12k

We are about to reside and do a roof quotes are high!

We priced moving a master into the addict and quotes started at 159k.

We redid our existing downstairs bathroom and just materials no labor was 5k. We are very handy and did it ourselves. Quotes started 15 to keep everything in place and 30 to relocate.

We self finished our basement with no contractors or labors for 5k in just supplies.quotes 15 years ago started at25 k

Love it as is for a long time and do a little at a time or purchase it with enough cash available to turn it into your dream.

• Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ericakn you sound like us! While I love the look for perfect high end finishes, they’re not in our budget. I’ve been looking for pricing out sake, at refurbished appliances or those coming out of remodels to save money there. I really want a master bath because our master suite right now is amazing. And I’m this new house we can add a master bath right next to the kids bath saving on moving plumbing. The attic and basement are definitely down the road. After looking at comps if we finish that square feet we could appraise for much higher, but like you, we only use some of our home . We have 3300 sq ft now including a finished basement. I haven’t been in the basement for weeks except to do laundry. So that’s where we’re kind of reconsidering how much space we actually need. That being said our kids are little and are always by our side, as they grow they’ll want their own space. I realize renovating an old home in the middle of Illinois you may not see your investment come back , but denver is another story.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

It sounds as though you're going in eyes wide open. Keeping the kitchen in its original location and not knocking down walls will save considerable expense. A thorough home inspection will certainly help you make a better assessment of whether or not this can work for you. Are disclosures required in Colorado regarding any known issues like knob and tube or asbestos? Those alone can be incredibly expensive to take care of.

The built ins and woodwork are amazing. The Denver housing market is robust and I don't think it's showing signs of going anywhere but up.

• partim
    3 years ago

Remember that if house prices in your city are going up, you will benefit from this in your current home as well. It's not only an add-in to the value of the reno.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

Best street in best neighborhood with good schools? Perfect.

How about one of those Smeg retro fridges?

My brother redid their kitchen to a very high standard, doing a lot of the work, like coffered ceiling, himself. He also shopped around for appliances. They got a SZ fridge column, but he found a discontinued high-end wine fridge very cheap, and I think he got a deal on FP freezer drawers.

Sometimes you can put a chest freezer in the basement. How often do you go in the freezer anyway?

For laundry, a stacked w/d and a place for detergent is all you really need.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

Are those cabinets above the washer/dryer original?

• heatheron40
    3 years ago

Not sure what to say....some days I love our 1850 house with an addition in 1898 and some days I hate it. I did not anticipate still working on the house 26 years later. We are currently gutting/working on the last bit, back foyer 22x9 and upstairs bath above it 9x5. The furnace cracked our first winter, needed replaced. We did virtually all of the work. We did 1 addition, 5 feet on width of kitchen and a turrett for eat-in, basement below for geothermal system. Our hobby is the house. Both of you have to be "All in". That's the only way to get it done.

BTW, we now need to reside the outside, plus fix whatever we uncover.... I honestly have no idea if we would do it again if we could go back. Probably would depend on the day ;^)

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Is anyone considering what a global pandemic is going to do to the economy and house prices? I have no idea, just asking the question. If the OP is in real estate, that would be my bigger concern if current unemployment stays where it is now?

• suezbell
    3 years ago

FIRST have the house inspected by a qualified inspector that works for you (not the lender). Forget investing in "decorating" initially. There are more practical things that should be your priority even BEFORE you move in. Have your inspector tell you all the potential functioning and/or safety issues he/she finds with the the house. Then ask about these specific things.

Structural damage: You'll need to know this home does not have structural damage, including from termites and if it does, the extent of it. You'll need to know there are no places in the house -- attic, floor, walls -- where you have air exchange that makes heating the home more difficult and, potentially, letting in pests.

Hazards: Are there any hazards? In addition to structural issues and wiring, are there any gas lines or other potential hazards? Where are any utilities buried -- where can you NOT dig in the yard.

Wiring: For safety sake, getting the the wiring of an old house up to code will need to be your first priority. Would recommend you find out if you can add a 2' overhang the entire width of that back porch -- all across that back wall -- if that wire is to be moved as part of an electrical upgrade anyway.

Water supply and sewer: You'll need to know that supply and drain lines exist and in what shape they're in -- are there any leaks at all. With the water off, the inspector will need to look for indications of prior problems. Are there any moisture or mold or draining issues or stench issues, specifically including but certainly not limited to from beneath the house.

You're going to need running water from day one: While you and your spouse alone might be able to rough it, with children, you must have at least one fully functioning bath (tub shower combo), preferably on the first floor (same floor as the washer/dryer).

You'll need at minimum at least one powder room upstairs -- but making it a full bath (even with just a shower rather than tub/shower combo) would be better.

You'll also need a working kitchen sink (preferably a double stainless steel deep bowl kitchen sink with a faucet with a high arc and have it installed in a countertop/base cabinet (beneath a window) that is about six feet wide.

Heat/ac: Well before winter, you'll need to have adequate heating, which can require multiple heating systems for multi-storied homes and/or doors in place to be able to close off the upper floors and heat only the main floor when the temperatures are really low -- at least until you can get a heat/air system in the entire home.

Insulation: It is highly likely you'll need more insulation as well -- above below and all around your house. How much, if any, is in the attic and beneath the floor.

Upgrading this home is going to require a lot of time, effort, energy, money and patience. Talk with your entire family, including your children, and see if the whole family can all agree that getting the house and getting it improved is worth waiting on other "things". If you're not all on board with this decision, you could end up getting a lot more grief/stress from from this house than its worth. You and your spouse should expect to set an example in this regard and be willing to alter your own habits, especially spending habits, if you are going to be able to actually enjoy this home rather than consider it a mistake.

It might be that you could get an initial construction loan initially for essential repairs you need and then get new inspections/appraisals by the lender on those to get more money for the aesthetic changes you want.

Make a list of all your assets and liabilities and monthly expenses and income take that paperwork with you to talk with your lender. Depending upon how much debt you have and how much interest you're paying -- and what changes to your budgeting you're willing to make -- It may be that you can get a debt consolidation loan as a part of a mortgage loan so that, aside from utilities, insurance -- monthly payments you pay in full each month-- you'd have only the one large secured (by house) debt with the one payment. Or you may not want to consolidate debts if they are to be paid off soon anyway.

Beware "biting off more than you can chew" financially.

Let us know if you buy the house and keep us updated on your renovation progress.

• Louise Smith
    3 years ago

The first home my husband and I owned was a 1920's Dutch Colonial. The house was in good condition but needed lots of updates and such. I loved the wood floors, the plaster walls, the arched doorways. No a/c but a terrific double pipe steam heating system. We started the renovations. We lasted about a year before we gave up. The house consumed too much energy and time. My life became dedicated to the house. So, we sold the house after two years and bought a new center hall colonial which cost almost twice the price of the old Dutch Colonial. I never regretted the lack of arch doorways or all the other quaint architectural details. A new house allowed me to put my energies into experiences and living. Interestingly, the "old Dutch Colonial" is now worth more than the "new center hall colonial". In the end, charm provided a better return on financial investment. But moving was the right decision for me since I value my time more than my financial assets.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

If the house is solid and you can get the wiring and plumbing and heat/ac done, would you be inclined to spend some time on You Tube, This Old House, etc., and do a lot of the rest as a DIY project? Trying to build/remodel a home can cause a lot of stress on a marriage so you'd want the entire family on board with that. Before Covid-19, Home Depot had DIY classes each summer -- you might check on those if you decide to try.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

Lulu, yours is an interesting perspective, and highlights the difference between people who love a project and those who don't. We own five properties, and I am never happier than when I am thinking up, researching, supervising and doing a project.

To me, "experiences and living" means taking a pickaxe to the old rail bed in our yard, choosing new paint colors or redoing a bathroom. It makes me tick.

If the OP and her husband relish a project and take pride in the results, few things are more rewarding than restoring an old home.

• partim
    3 years ago

With your children being ages 4 and 1.5, in-process renovations need to be out of their reach at all times. We did a much smaller whole-house renovation and always had to carefully check to keep hazardous items away from them.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

You are a steward of this historic house more than an owner. Keep changes in context and respectful please.

• Janelle
    3 years ago

The numbers you get on Houzz are blown up. Nobody considers experienced diyers who don't spend $300k to renovate a home. I love it. I think you have all the knowledge you need to make the right decision.

• Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Joseph, EXACTLY. And in the Denver market I’m afraid if someone else gets this house they will take everything original away and make so.. ugly. I feel like because we appreciate the home and it’s details so much we can help to preserve the legacy of the home while bringing it up to date

• amuzyczka
    3 years ago

As an old house aficionado, I'd always suggest following your heart because if an old house doesn't own your heart you will grow to resent the time, effort and $$$$$ that you have to pour into it. If it does own your heart, you'll happily spend your vacation days stripping woodwork and not dreaming of being on the beach. My second recommendation it to keep the strange mauve carpeting on the (probably hardwood!) floor to use as a drop cloth while you are stripping and painting the walls. Oh, and definitely keep the Bradbury frieze. It will be stunning once the rest of the room is rescued. :)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

OHHH i missed the frieze- it is lovely. The ivory moire below it needs to go though!

• Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m so glad you knew the name! That’s definitely staying, it’s stunning and I’m great shape. The bottom will be cleaned up. I was planning on keeping the carpet and doing the floors last. As far as I’ve been told they’ve had carpet on them since the 1960s so hopefully they’re in good shape, and maybe even have some details inlays 🤞. I’ll add some of my very rough drawings here to give you an idea of the space bc I think I sorted the kitchen out with keeping the existing foot print and I’d love to here what people think. Stay tuned

• Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s some other shots of what’s hopefully just cosmetic work. The stained glass is broken, they have it taped up now but have a name of someone they spoke to about repairing it. It’s located at the top of the stairs landing (the stairs stop here and turn and four more stairs take you to the bedrooms). The woman who lived here was 96 when she moved out and she talked exercise classes in the family room, hence the glass and ballet bar. I’m sure the glass will be difficult to remove?

• Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And other shots of the “family room”. I haven’t seen a fireplace like this in Denver unless it’s in a craftsman , which this home has nods to, but the exterior looks like a cement rival four square. Most of the Denver square fireplaces are carved wood with small tiles and a mantle with a mirror

• amuzyczka
    3 years ago

Bradbury and Bradbury is an amazing source for hand blocked wallpaper. A great resource for you and a treasure to find in your new home, ;) Check out their website for good color and design inspiration.

• Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m on their website now 😂! It’s amazing. I actually love that the whole house is wallpapered and plan on saving some of the budget to update the paper. It’s expensive but I love it and I like to think that the owner had a great time decking her house out when she moved in

• Erin Luke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for telling me the name of the company

• latifolia
    3 years ago

So are you buying it?

Does it have a pantry? How many bedrooms?

Inquiring minds want to know....

• yvonnecmartin
    3 years ago

Think about how this project will impact your children. Will they be forever living in a house being renovated? Will you have time to spend with them, or will you be running off to look for the perfect wallpaper? Think about this potential move from their point of view.

• acm
    3 years ago

I would see if you can renovate the kitchen in its current footprint. You only showed one picture, but it looked like very underused space, so I'll bet you can get more in there than you think. My kitchen is smaller than that, and super-efficient after an overhaul (from the 1970s), although we do have a breakfast bar on the DR side of an opening.

• amuzyczka
    3 years ago

Yvonne, I'd take the children with me to look for the perfect wallpaper and ask for their opinions! The times I spent antiquing with my father as a child are some of my best memories!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

I have not read all of the comments, but in your original list you never mention fixing the outside of the house.

The exterior picture in your post does not do the house any favors. Do you plan to renovate the exterior?

• Sonny 62
    3 years ago

****following with interest

• chiflipper
    3 years ago

This project will be THE acid test of your marriage. Just make sure DH is equally as devoted to the home as you are. Updating the elec /plumb'g /HVAC will take all of your time and money B4 you "see" any difference. That said, this home is a true gem, the likes of which can never be duplicated.

• L thomas
    3 years ago

There is no ROI in an old home. It is a labor of love. If money is an issue- you need to prioritize your wish list. HVAC and Electrical need to go to the top. Master bath, kitchen, finished attic drop to the bottom. Are you willing to live with the house as is for years while you dump money into the ‘not fun stuff?’

We bought our 1921 home in 2017. The electrical was updated to current from knob and tube in the early 2000s luckily. However, the boiler was from 1951. We replaced that. $19k. Closed cell foam insulation in attic - $11k. Pulled up the carpeting on the second floor ourselves, but had the floors refinished professionally- $6k. Exterior trim painted - $13k. Plaster repair on the crown above the fireplace $1.7k. Tuck pointing two chimneys - $14k. Replace rotting wood on a brick/wood trellis thing in the back yard - $2.5k. We have two more big ticket non-sexy items coming up next: putting in a Unico AC system (bids came in between $20k and $40k - guess what, we’re not going with the $20k guy), and replacing original galvanized water supply with pex. What I’m saying is we’ve spent a ton on basics and in three years, and minus the second floor wood floors- haven’t done any ‘fun’ stuff. Our budget for those are is follows:

Kitchen (12x12): $120k

master bath: $70k

new roof: $35k

refinish first floor wood to match second: $6k

first floor powder room: $5k

second floor bathroom: $30k

third floor gut and refinish (including small bathroom): $80k

All that money is because you love the house. You’ll never get it back. Accept that before you begin. For context, we’re just outside of Detroit (COL far less than Denver) and this is our house when we bought it-I wouldn’t call it a fixer upper:

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    3 years ago

Good luck : ) .

With the new normal, I'd plan on things taking more money and more time. And not always being able to get contractors when you need them. Stock up on masks when they become available.

We live on a farm and my husband has his own building business. Kids are very adaptable, and if you include them, it becomes their usual life. They'll learn a lot, including about form and function, and grow up flexible and resilient. And hopefully handy lol.

As far as the kitchen goes, I'd read through the Kitchen forum FAQs here,

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5500754/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first#25539399

Also worth searching through the Kitchen forum for sensitive historical remodels. There are some beautiful ones. Here are a few of my favorites,

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2678448/finished-kitchen-circa-1840-working-farmhouse-ikea-budget-reno#n=107

Sayde's gumwood kitchen -- a lot of the photos in the original reveal posts were on Photobucket and have since disappeared. Here's a link to the whole kitchen,

https://www.atticmag.com/2011/09/vintagel-gumwood-cabinet-kitchen

• Lyndee Lee
    3 years ago

You will have only one opportunity in your life to buy that house so if owning a spectacular vintage home is your dream, buy it. Owning an old house is a lifestyle, not an investment. If it is worth substantially more after your updates, that's great but don't include that value in your financial planning for retirement. However fantastic the house is, I would not buy it if you couldn't live in it with the room types and sizes as it was built. Obviously the mechanicals have to be in good working order but an outdated kitchen can wait until you have spent enough time to learn about the quirks and qualities of this house. Decisions made after you live there will be different than those made after just walking through.

Our previous home looked much like the one directly above and we owned it for 26 years. We moved in when I was pregnant with my oldest, moved out when youngest graduated from college. Buying a more modest house would have been a better overall deal financially because midrange houses in our community appreciated much more than ones at the top of the range. When we did sell, the net was 25% higher than we had paid. However we had the pleasure (and occasional pain!) of living in an architect designed house with tons of natural light, top quality construction and fittings, in a desirable neighborhood.

Unlike many owners might have done, we did not update the house. We did have to redo the flat roof section, then added a few more electrical outlets and converted the coal room into a wine cellar and pantry. The mid 70s steam boiler was a cast iron monster that never failed. In particularly bad heat waves, we used a couple window AC units but solid masonry house and an attic fan handled most of the summer weather. We raised two kids in an old house with only one bathroom and no central air. We had coat hooks in a hallway, not a mudroom. We had basement laundry and a clothesline for good weather. Of course we would have enjoyed a big kitchen and a master suite but that wasn't how the house was built. My personal view is that if you want the features of a new house, buy or build one. If you love the beautiful house, be gentle and err on the side of doing less, not more

• Chicago TudorReno
    3 years ago

@Erin Luke and @L thomas - I'm in a similar boat to the two of you! We bought a 1910 tudor in January and have been working with an architect on a plan of attack to bring it up-to-date. We're lucky in that a previous owner had already restored the original quarter oak floors, and we don't have anything too terrible to unwind. That said, we need to add a drain tile, update the plumbing and electric pretty extensively, update the A/C system (1991 Spacepak installed in floors 1 and 2, but not the basement or 3rd floor), etc.

Erin- if you love it and understand there won't really be an ROI on a lot of that update work, go for it! I'd love to follow along with your future renovations :)

• cpartist
    3 years ago

The house is stunning. Make sure you have an excellent inspector to make sure about all the mechanicals.

It looks to me like the kitchen and upstairs above the kitchen are either an addition or have been remuddled, including the new windows upstairs above the kitchen/mudroom.

Living in an old home is as mentioned a labor of love. There is nothing like it.