SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelnstuff

New to composting, So many questions!

angelnstuff
14 years ago

We bought a new home about 2 years ago, and are finally finishing up working on the inside and ready to start enjoying our yard more. Next spring i'd like to start a sqft garden but for now were just trying to get a proper compost set up. Our main reason for setting up the compost, is of course to help in the garden, but Also to deal with our rabbits litter/bedding, which is mostly aspen chips and timothy hay. Sometime this summer we bought a metal trash can, put some holes in it and have been using it for compost, which i think was kinda working, but its completely full now, and of course somewhat difficult to turn. I wonder if we should buy another one of these, and let the now full one do its thing, or if a larger 35 gallon black trash can might work better? I know there is a lot of plans online for wooden compost systems, but I'm not sure why but i like the idea of having everything contained in a trash can or something that we can move around better than having a wooden one. Altho I'm starting to think it would just be easier to go the wooden route. And ask Hubby to build me one in the back corner of the yard. I'd really like a tumbler of some sort, but they all seem so expensive. What kind of compost system does everyone else use? I'd love to see pics of peoples setups.

Also i was wondering what else could go into the compost, i know your not supposed to put meat of dairy, but what about old bread or crackers? Also, we have some type of watermelons growing in our yard right now, that i think the birds brought in or something, we let them go to see what they would do but we brought one in and cut it open to see what its like, and its yellow inside, and while it smelled liked watermelon, my hubby said it tasted kinda like a cucumber or something, needless to say we didnt eat it. he says maybe there just not ripe, but i wonder if because there basically 'wild' if maybe they might just not be sweet. Anyway Theres about 26 of them in ranging from the size of a basketball to a softball still on the vines. Were thinking if they don't ripen anymore it might be fun to paint or carve them for Halloween. Can these go into the compost? or should i be worried about the seeds?

Comments (10)