SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psychologynart

gold bathroom faucets and gold trim around shower

psychologynart
5 years ago

I am looking to get my house ready for sale. The small master bath has a shower with gold trim around the shower doors and gold shower faucet and gold sink faucet. Gold trim on the wasterbasket, too. It looks very nice and was bathroom redone about 5 years ago, with nice ceramic tile with stone trim. Yellowish tan paint on walls. Do I need to get rid of the gold in order to sell at top price? It will be expensive to get rid of all of it but I will do what is necessary.

Comments (37)

• PRO
    CAP Construction, LLC
    5 years ago

Do you have a photo?

psychologynart thanked CAP Construction, LLC
  • jojoco
    5 years ago

Last spring I sold my house, complete with brass fixtures. I was consoled by the fact that Renovation Hardware had brass fixtures on the cover of the spring catalog. We ended up buying a home with gold fixtures in the master bath. I love them.

Good luck!

Jo

psychologynart thanked jojoco
  • Related Discussions

Calacatta Gold Bathrooms - slab question

Q

Comments (5)
    Personally I don't like the look of mixing honed and polished. Also, when marble is honed, the color tends to look different from the polished marble. At least that was the case with our botticino. At first I wanted honed but didn't like the color so we went with polished. It seems that you have seen the slab--is the color the same as the marble in the rest of your baths? I would make them fix it because you will probably regret it later. There is a reason that you made the choice in the first place. Don't let the money be the factor--these baths need to last a long time. As far as looks go, I like polished on the vanity top and deck.
    ...See More

Bathroom gold hardware recommendation needed!

Q

Comments (3)
    What about Brizo? It is the upscale sister company to Delta and has similar good warranties and good reputation for quality. What specific accessories are you looking for? To some extent not all accessories need to be from the same company because they aren't necessarily next to each other. My bathroom is hardware is principally oiled rubbed bronze and so all of the shower trim and bathroom faucets are from the same line as is the toilet paper holder. However the grab bars and hinges from the shower are from someplace else. My knobs and pulls are not matching as I went with an enameled vintage design. My bathroom fixtures are from Phylrich and they have some gorgeous finishes including several different "gold" ones - e.g. several different brass finishes https://phylrich.com
    ...See More

Gold Faucets & Coordinating Bathroom Drains

Q

Comments (1)
    I sure would use another gold before black or white
    ...See More

Gold finishes in bathroom not matching

Q

Comments (6)
    Why aren't all your faucets and other plumbing fixtures from the same brand and therefore the same finish? I also used "gold" but my sink faucets, tub filler and shower fixtures are all Brizo. Towel bars and TP holder are also all Brizo, so they also match. I did use a very specific handheld shower bar brand, but I bought it a plumbing supply showroom and was able to match their wide selection of sample chips to the Brizo "gold" and order the bar in that color. My "gold" sconces and pendant are both slightly different but it works just fine. My Robern medicine cabinets were also supposed to be "gold", but luckily I got to see a sample before the order was finalized. It was a really hideous yellow gold, so I canceled and just did chrome. I would have preferred just a bevel edge mirror, but they only offered a metal border in this size med cabinet. So 4 different "golds" in this photo ... Brizo faucets & towel bar, sconces, pendant and drawer knobs.
    ...See More
  • chispa
    5 years ago

Gold? Do you mean brass?

Brass has been back in style for a few years. As long as the fixtures look nice, function as designed and aren't pitted or corroded, I would leave them alone.

psychologynart thanked chispa
  • psychologynart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

They are gold, not brass.

• psychologynart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• psychologynart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Gold trim, not brass.

• jojoco
    5 years ago

Ours are also gold. Not brass

• beaglesdoitbetter
    5 years ago

If it isn't expensive, I would change it out. The whole rest of the bathroom looks modern and updated and that kind of gold trim just screams outdated to me. Maybe that's my personal bias b/c the shower in my parent's house before it was sold had a similar gold around the edges.

psychologynart thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • Fun2BHere
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I agree with the posters who say to leave it unless a good realtor in your area says that it's a big negative.

psychologynart thanked Fun2BHere
  • psychologynart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maybe I could find shower doors with no trim and then I could leave the rest gold and the shower doors would not look old (they are only about 5 years old)?

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

Listen, to some people, your tile will also seem old, because it's of a trend that was en vogue before the trend that now goes away for yet another trend. So one can re-tile the shower while at that. Should he though? I don't think so. It works together? It looks nice? Cohesive with the room and with the house? Okay then. Whoever doesn't like it-won't like it with frameless doors more. Whoever does like it-will like it as is.

Of course sometimes it's easier to guess what other folks would like. Often that guess is not a good enough guess, and not good enough justification to start ripping apart things either, for not neccessarily better result.

Ask your realtor, of course, depends on your area and who your potential buyers might be..

But I wouldn't touch a thing in this bathroom except for staging it some(taking some stuff away like toilet cover, etc)

You know what'll make it hard for me? Do you have a bathtub? I need a bathtub. For real. If you don't have it-huge minus, in my eyes. Install a tub, or I won't buy it:)

(it was a joke. I know having to sell makes one very anxious. I sold three houses, I was anxious too. You'll have enough stuff to be anxious about, without changing perfectly normal fixtures in hope that maybe somebody'll like whatever you put instead more)

psychologynart thanked aprilneverends
  • jojoco
    5 years ago

The bathroom is pleasantly neutral. As a former realtor, I would suggest you simply remove the wreath and hanging art and the gold knickknacks on the shelves. On those shelves, I would put folded hand towels. Also, I would remove the toilet seat cover and what looks like a matching garbage can/hamper (?) next to it. All the bathroom needs needs is to be super clean and uncluttered. You are 99% there .

• psychologynart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks for all the advice. I do have a bathtub in another room. The tile in both is still in style, just not great photo. Both bathrooms were redone in the last 10 years. I like the idea of putting folded handtowels in the cubbies. I love all the flowered stuff: wreath, toilet seat cover, matching garbage can cover....but realize this could turn off a lot of men and younger people. Thanks!

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

Don't take me too seriouly-I was just trying to explain my opinion, and make you less anxious:) Sorry if I wasn't too successful. Your bathroom is quite lovely. Good luck with your sale!

psychologynart thanked aprilneverends
  • User
    5 years ago

I think it's fine and if it really stops someone from buying your house, then those people will be finding ALL sorts of nit-picky things to drive you crazy over----and then will probably back out of the sale anyway.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

In relooking to see the cubbies I noticed the rug on the floor. At least I hope it is a rug. It has to go. It and the seat cover makes me cringe and I am older.

• User
    5 years ago

The gold fixtures would not deter me from buying. The floral items pictured do not compliment the rest of the bathroom, but again would not influence my decision to buy or not.

• PRO
    CAP Construction, LLC
    5 years ago

I would leave the gold fixtures, but remove all of the personal items (knick knacks), toilet seat cover etc. Let the buyer visualize their own items in the space. Add a soap dispenser on the sink & white towels (rather than off-white).

• homechef59
    5 years ago

Remove all knickknacks. Get a set of new, never laundered towels to display during showings. Consider it done. It should be fine. There isn't so much of the gold that it detracts. Repeat this process in all the bath rooms. People like clean, spartan baths.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I'm personally not crazy about gold, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. In fact, the tile you have there would sell me (all other things about the house being equal).

For showing, I'd remove that toilet seat cover... but even that wouldn't deter me if I were otherwise interested in that house. (If that conveys, it would convey into the trash...) Fresh towels are great, but the removal of knickknacks to my mind is a bit over-sterilizing. (I rather know that a previous occupant actually enjoyed the space!)

Addendum: In my case, I'd note that I'd want a curtain rather than doors on my shower, and that if I bought it would be easy/cheap enough to fix (unless I was just starting out). Other people want doors, even if they don't want curtains. Still, easy enough to fix. What I am trying to say is that you can't predict what everyone will want.

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

I haven't read all the replies, but I'd remove anything flowery, like the wreath, the toilet set cover, all the knick knacks.

I can't see the paint color properly but would go for the lightest off white in the tile. Then new fluffy white towels, some fancy soap in the soap dish, and maybe a white orchid in a gold pot/vase. I'd remove the storage above the toilet, even though it's practical.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

LEAVE the storage above the toilet. One less thing for a new occupant to think about having to put in as an immediate thing.

And the towels don't have to be white, simply clean and not worn out. Something you'd want to use in your new digs.

• User
    5 years ago

I agree with the others...I think when you're selling, just keep in mind what a nice hotel looks like....

• nini804
    5 years ago

Definitely remove the little wreath and hanging thing under it. Agree with putting towels in cubbies. Also agree with removing toilet cover and that floral thing next to toilet. Personally, I’d paint the walls a soft white bc I just can’t stomach tan/beige, but it probably doesn’t bother most. I wouldn’t change faucets/hardware...but the door bothers me. I can’t believe it was redone 5 years ago...I didn’t think anyone did framed doors with that textured glass anymore. So it’s just a shower, not a tub/shower? I’d leave it then. If it were a tub shower I’d do a gorgeous fabric curtain with liner.

• Rebecca Avery
    5 years ago

I've done a lot of home staging in the Dallas area before moving to NC. I think the brass fixtures are great. I'm in the beginning stages of preparing to build a new home and we're going with brass fixtures in our baths and kitchen for faucets,drawer pulls, and knobs. I agree that you need to lose the wreath, toilet seat cover and brass knick knacks above the toilet. It will look more spa like with folded hand towels. A beautifully wrapped large bar of soap in the white soap dish in the shower which stands out a bit will be great camouflage. I go to TJMaxx, Marshalls, or Homegoods for the pretty soaps and the most beautiful textured towels of any store at the best prices. What I would check into if your budget allows is the clear glass frameless shower doors. I think the doors on your shower date the otherwise great bathroom. Clear, frameless glass doors are worth the cost. Check with a Habitat for Humanity store in your area. Sometimes they have overstocks and sell them at discounted prices or do a major search online for a sale on those doors. I agree that it shouldn't be cluttered and needs to be squeaky clean at all times. The universal scent for cleanliness is lemon. You can just wipe everything down with a lemon cleaner before a showing. I clean my kitchen counters, stainless appliances, and bathroom surfaces with a mixture of equal parts alcohol and water in a spray bottle to which I add a few drops of essential oils so that when the alcohol evaporates all you smell is the faint scent of the oil. I personally use jasmine drops but when I put my current home on the market I'll switch to lemon essential oils. There's no rinsing required. The alcohol gets rid of the fingerprints on stainless appliances and if I have spilled wax from a candle on my granite counters, straight alcohol melts the wax and I can wipe it right up. It's great for grease splatters on the stove top and vent hood as well. I know I digressed from your bathroom fixtures, but I can't stress enough what a turn off some fragrances are to potential buyers. If I smell vanilla, it's so sweet I have to get away from it. Don't burn candles during a showing or it may appear as though you're trying to hide some foul smell such as mold. If you have children and a spouse, explain the need to keep everything super clean at all times. Don't have too many things on your walls, especially no family photos, or too many knick knacks sitting around on furniture and counters. Also, organize closets and put anything that is out of season in boxes in the attic so your closets appear larger and less cramped. Think of your home as though it's a luxury hotel suite. Nothing about it reminds guests of other families who've stayed there. Good luck.

psychologynart thanked Rebecca Avery
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I'm on board with clear frameless glass doors - if you have to have doors. You probably already have the runways for them so yes, switch to that if you can.

I still wouldn't worry about a FEW knickknacks. When I house-hunted, it was always a positive feature to know a house had personality, even if it wasn't my own, and I could picture my OWN knickknacks in similar locations.

psychologynart thanked artemis_ma
  • nosoccermom
    5 years ago

I mean "knick knacks" like in a fancy hotel, so luxurious soaps, lotions, some art, some flowers....

Four Seasons in Paris.

psychologynart thanked nosoccermom
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

Check with the realtor about the gold fixtures. I wouldn't replace the fixtures but would consider replacing the shower doors with frameless ones.

And sorry, but when I leave your house I might identify it as the one with the ugly toilet seat cover. I understand the idea of loving flowers but it doesn't flow with the more upscale gold fixtures.

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

Gold/Brass looks much better on black, but i love the brass/gold look.

psychologynart thanked Designer Drains
  • psychologynart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree it would look better on black but I do love the gold. I do think I should change the doors to the frameless.

• psychologynart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

nosoccermom That's a lot of gold! I will take all this advice to heart. The walls are a yellowy tan, not beige. So they look cheerful even though there is no direct sunlight.

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

I meant the flowers, vases, crystal, art. And don't forget the candles and champagne :)

psychologynart thanked nosoccermom
  • jojoco
    5 years ago

Here Are a couple of pictures of my bathroom with its seamless shower and black framing and gold fixtures. Hope this helps.

Isn’t it funny how the light changes colors? The tiles really are green.

• Helen
    5 years ago

As others have posted, get rid of the toilet seat cover and any other "cute" stuff that makes it seem "grandma" - meaning no disrespect to grandmas who can be stylish. Any towels should be very modern and hotel/spa in feel.

Make sure everything is clean clean and more clean. Investing in a professional cleaner for all areas in the house is money well spent.

Otherwise leave it as be because remodeling a bathroom for sale is a slippery slope and given that your bathroom tile is lovely and the fixtures look well with it, I doubt very much that a serious prospective buyer is going to reject the home based on it having "gold" fixtures.

I just finished a remodel of bathrooms and my bathroom style is completely unlike this bathroom. However, if I were in the market for a new home, I wouldn't pass on a home if the bathroom wasn't the style that was my personal favorite so long as it was clean and met my functional needs in terms of having a comfortable shower; adequate storage (hate hate hate pedestal sinks because no place to put things. Your bathroom is a perfectly find bathroom - attractive to most people even if it's not the height of trendiness - but I think most people don't have bathrooms that are the height of trendiness anyway - after all how often do people actually remodel a bathroom - and if you change the color of fixtures - that starts a chain reaction - it's not the same as painting or putting up wallpaper or even changing the sconces or mirrors.

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

Sorry if this was already said but all I would do is add a new frameless glass shower door and paint the walls a fresh modern neutral. The non-clear glass and thick frame shower door there now will really show up in photo’s in a not good way. Leave the rest of the gold in the room.

A new door would change the look of the whole room.

• psychologynart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks. This is my plan.And I do see gold in designer magazines now