SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mccartyn

Help with u-kitchen cabinet layout

mccartyn
5 years ago

I'm laying out our cabinet design for our kitchen remodel. We are going with Barker RTA cabinets which are customizable to 1/4". Our contractor has measured everything (and works) in 1/16". I'm having a really difficult time figuring out what is acceptable for the cabinet run in the 'u'.

Lower cabinets:

Right now I have blind cabinets on either side of the run that include a built-in 3" filler. Why did I do blind cabinets? Because we want larger drawers next to the range and I figure we can use a rev-a-shelf blind cabinet organizer if we want more accessibility.

But what do I do about adding filler in the 'u' run? I can get the cabinets to within 1/16" of an inch of the wall measurement. But that seems risky for the contractor to install. Should I undersize the blind cabinets a bit so there is some wiggle room?

Upper cabinets:

Right now I have 45' door cabinets in the corners. Should I add filler in-between these cabinets and the wall? I mean that seems like the obvious answer but I was more concerned with hanging the larger corner cabinets only against one wall. I guess you could use furring strips to fill the gap.

Please ignore the light placement, and the other house dimensions, they are just place-holders.

Any other suggestions?

Comments (11)