SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sirienne

Some help with small U-shaped layout

sirienne
10 years ago

I don't post much, but I've been lurking around a few years. I'm about ready to get started on the serious planning phase of my kitchen remodel. It's a small kitchen - exactly 8' x 8' - so there aren't too many major layout changes that can be made to it, but I am stuck debating a couple of "lesser of two evils" type questions.

The House:

My house is a townhouse built around 1990, with its original kitchen cabinets / appliances / etc. I'm not planning to make any structural changes (moving walls, windows, etc) and really with the setup of it there'd be nowhere to move anything to anyway.

Me:

I live alone and probably will for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't exactly call myself a gourmet cook but I do prefer to cook my own meals so I'm in the kitchen multiple times per day. Having multiple cooks in the kitchen or a space for people to hangout during parties, etc. isn't really a concern for me (which is good because it wouldn't really be feasible anyway).

The Current Kitchen:

It's a basic U-shape with the stove at the bottom of the U. The two walls framing the entrance to the kitchen are pony walls, and there's a sliding door that starts right where the left (exterior) wall ends in the drawing.

There's not a lot of base cabinet storage in general, and most of it is tied up in those 2 blind cabinets in the corners. The one to the left of the stove is nearly unusable, the door is so small.

There's no dedicated pantry anywhere and no space for one, so I have to keep my food items in a cabinet somewhere and I'd prefer to keep them (or at least some of them) in a lower cabinet because it's easier to store larger items that way, but right now there's just no space to do that. Most of my pantry items are in that ridiculously long 48" wall cabinet, with a few larger items like cereal boxes elsewhere.

I keep most of my dishes in that diagonal corner cabinet, but it's hard to use all of the space in it because I can't get to the far corners. So I have like 2 stacks of plates/bowls on each shelf and a bunch of empty space around them.

The Proposed New Kitchen:

I've played around with a lot of plans for like 2 years now, and this is the "best" I've come up with. It seems like, especially with the base cabinets, every good solution for one area I come up with has a corresponding detrimental effect in another area. Some of the older versions of my townhouse model have galley kitchens instead of U-shaped kitchens, but technically that results in less cabinet and countertop space.

Issue 1: Where to put the dishwasher. Currently it's next to the stove, which I don't like, and I have a tendency to not want to stand in front of it even though that's prime counter top space, because it sticks out a few inches past the countertop (though that could be remedied with a new one - I think?). I thought about putting it to the left of the sink - that allows me a lazy susan in the corner, but puts the sink off-center relative to the window. And I'm pretty sure that would drive me nuts. (And no, I'm not moving the window). An 18" dishwasher would fit better, but I don't want an 18" dishwasher. So I came to the conclusion that maybe it's best left where it is.

Issue 2: The corners. I moved the stove into the center and that gives me room to put a lazy susan on the right side of it, but it means the left side is dead space in all likelihood. They make 6" filler pullouts but they have to have a cabinet on each side, so that wouldn't work there. No one seems to make 6" regular cabinets. I don't know what else you would do there. I could move the stove over another 3" to get a bigger susan but then the stove would be slightly off center. And it would bug me.

Issue 3: The lazy susan. I have a 33" x 36" one in the design. It has to be 33" on one side to have the stove centered. A 33" and a 33"x36" susan have the same actual carousel space, the asymmetrical one just has a bigger door. So if I get the asymmetrical one, I can have a bigger door, but if I get the 33" one, I can have a bigger pot drawer next to it. Which one is more beneficial ultimately? I don't know.

Issue 4: The microwave. I can't figure out what to do with it. I don't like the over-the-range microwaves, they have to be mounted too low over the stove to be able to reach into them. I have one on the counter now, and I don't like that, it takes up too much valuable space. I don't use it that often (maybe once a week?) but I don't want to get rid of it entirely either. So I thought the best solution might be to put a countertop model on a microwave shelf. And then the question is, where to put the shelf? All the cabinet specs I've read say they have to be between 2 other wall cabinets (which I CAN do, in one place, but it's not my preferred location). Half the photos of installed microwave shelves I've seen have them at the end of a cabinet run. And it's not clear whether a cabinet over a fridge counts as a cabinet to attach the MW shelf to.

So yeah. I realize that parts of the layout actually depend on what the options in the cabinet line I choose are (e.g. I'd prefer a 21" wide microwave shelf, but it seems like most cabinet lines don't carry that). But does anyone have any advice or ideas that I might not have thought of?

Comments (28)