SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_885810540

Ikea Kitchen with high end appliances

Rob
5 years ago

We are knee deep in planning a kitchen redesign. As this is our fourth home in the past 10 years that we are renovating we realize the impact of a kitchen on appearance. While we have no intention of moving (we did not either with our last home), it seems every time we upgrade a kitchen we end up moving in the next year.

For our last home we installed an Ikea kitchen with Bosch appliances, and a KitchenAid fridge. It looked really nice, and the home sold in one day. Literally the third person to walk in purchased the home. We used Merillat cabinets in the previous home (same appliance configuration), along with soapstone countertops. That house also sold in a day. Ikea was 1/3 the cost, and in the end we spent nearly 14K less going with Ikea.

Now, we are back looking at cabinets and appliances. We are considering going with KitchenAid commercial line items (range, built in refrigerator), and a Sub-Zero Wine Cooler. It is a 25K appliance package. Long way of saying, can we use Ikea cabinets with these products, and still look like a higher end kitchen? Having visited a half dozen kitchen cabinet stores I honestly feel like nearly all use MDF boxes. I open each and I see an Ikea box. Does it make sense to buy Ikea boxes and custom doors? I just get sticker shock when someone tries to tell me cabinet cost is nearly 3 or 4 times the cost of Ikea, when it feels like I am looking at the same materials.

Comments (47)