SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
posierosie_zone7a__

Compost got hot (finally)

Hi Everyone,

I'm a lurker here and I have recently gotten access to chicken bedding which consists of droppings & finely shredded wood chips.

I assumed the bedding was more towards the green side and mixed with leaves + scraps/UCG.

I really wanted to have the two piles finished by Spring especially as I am planning on a garden expansion. The second pile is just over a month old and I know I need to cook it to get it ready on time.

The fact it was winter was workomg against me, but I also realized after obsessively watching youtube videos that 1. My pile was low and long, I should make it square and high so the center can heat 2. While we have had a crazy amount of rain, the leaves and wood chips did not get/stay wet enough. I remedied both issues last week.

A quick shallow hand thrust into the pile informed me it was still cold. I figured the chicken bedding material might not be a green as I thought. I decided to turn both piles today and add fish emulsion (the only fertilizer I have on hand) to hel it heat up.

Well, can you believe it? A good foot and a half in to turning the pile steam came out! It was already cooking. I was so proud; I made my husband come outside and witness the steam.

I still turned the whole thing and added buckets of water to the layers that had the dried outer leaves. We haven't had rain for a week (finally).

I'm pretty sure you guys are the only ones who get my excitement.

Comments (11)