SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Sad - cooks are sick

nancyofnc
5 years ago

I invited my SIL and his cousin - both chefs at nice restaurants for Sunday Dinner, along with 2 grandchildren - 19 and 21. Chopping, stirring all day making chicken for stew from whole birds, to add fluffy dumplings near when they arrive, squash and sweet pepper gratin, pineapple coleslaw, cute appetizer boursin filled cucumber cups, and egg roll wrapper rangoons, plus a honey banana cake. The chefs can't/won't come because they both have roaring colds. Guess they don't want to spread germs this way, thankfully. I'll package up some "new" leftovers and take to them tomorrow (1 1/2 hr drive away.) Sooo - the grands will be here later for a real dinner at grandma's. Neither cook very much but are eager to learn and are experimenting now that they share an apartment and find the cost of eating out is not in their budget and dad lives too far away to cook for them (kids always are surprised when they move out at how many things they need were always there but find empty toilet paper rolls, no more coffee grounds, drained milk cartons, only bread tails, and band-aids, shampoo, washing machine,/dish washer soap don't live in their apartments like they did at home).

I love cooking for the chefs. They make composed meals or grill steaks, stuff I call "fast food" where grandma makes "slow food". I fiddle and fuss over things they would not get in their restaurants. Last time I made bean and cheese enchiladas with homemade sauce, and the time before was New England clam chowder. They loved every morsel and when I served them Cioppino before that they tipped their bowls up to get the very last drop. I love cooking for the chefs, and the grands.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations