SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cotehele_gw

Cooking for a very sick cat?

cotehele
14 years ago

My 13 y/o cat, Peter, (Lord Peter Wimsey) is very sick with renal failure. He has been in the hospital, but we brought him home Friday on antibiotics and subcu fluids. The night shift Vet thought there was little chance Peter would recover because his lab work was worse rather than showing the improvement they expected.

There is a chance the renal failure is caused by a kidney infection. The urine culture results came back yesterday and the organism was not sensitive to the antibiotic the Peter had been taking, so his usual Vet changed antibiotics.

Peter seems a little more alert today. He has not eaten anything for almost a week. He has no interest in his favorite foods (butter, cream, whipped cream, eggs, chicken) and does not like tuna or salmon. He licks the gel around the canned cat food, but will not eat the meat. I am vegetarian, and have not the least idea if I can make something similar. Would beef broth and a little gelatin work? Any other suggestions? He is on a low protein diet, but the Vet said try to get him to eat anything. I really appreciate your help.

This is the last thing we needed this week. Andy & Tina's wedding is Friday. Tina's grandmother (who has lived with the family all Tina's life) probably won't live until Friday. The family is all with her today. I am doing the food for the rehearsal dinner Thursday with no help. Our family doesn't plan to arrive until a few hours before the wedding. And to top it off, an aunt of the friend (who has the B&B where the wedding is held) died. The funeral is Wednesday. Her house is the family homestead where everyone will gather. I spent yesterday helping her wash windows. What is left to happen I cannot imagine. At least no rain is in the forecast for the outdoor wedding :)

Thanks for your suggestions for Peter.

Judy

Peter last year.

Comments (50)

• mudlady_gw
    14 years ago

Buy some bone in chicken parts and simmer them for a long time is some water--until the meat falls off the bone. Try shredding and fine chopping the meat and also offer the broth.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Throw some beef or chicken ( chicken will be easier) into a pot...skin bones and all cover with water put a lid on....simmer as long as you can....4 or 5 hours is good, taking care it doesn';t boil dry.
    Save the broth...strain....pick some meat out of the mess yous trained out....the resultant mess should gell from the protein which cooked out of the skin and bones.
    More specifically buy 3 pounds of chicken wings, put in a pot with water to cover and simmer long hours....add water aas it boils off so as to keep it just covering the chicken.
    Since you seem to have many other demands on your time....see if you can buy canned consoumee ( spelled wrong...but too lazy to look it up!)
    Also see if he will eat rice....he may know his kidneys are compromised and avoiding protein.
    Linda C

• Related Discussions

Too sick to cook but everyone will still want dinner

Q

Comments (26)
    Thanks everyone. Much better today but it couldn't have gotten worse LOL Nice to know that in a pinch they won't starve. Thanks for all offers to help. My bff did bring over some chicken soup on Monday night so that helped a lot too. I had no idea how much worse Tuesday was going to be, though. I'm going back to bed for a quick nap before everyone comes home from school. Wish they would eat PBJ sandwiches but none of them like them - not even for school lunches.
    ...See More

Suggestions for hand feeding moist cat food to sick cat.

Q

Comments (8)
    The no-ring 30cc catheter tip (which have a longer tip) and no-ring 10cc syringes available at the following link are my favorite syringes to use for syringe feeding. The rubber o-ring in most syringes tends to get "sticky" after a while and results in spurts of food instead of a steady, slow stream of food. The no-ring syringes available at the link below have no rubber o-ring, so they keep giving a smooth, steady stream of food indefinitely ... plus they're easier to keep clean. Oh, and the plungers are removable. I love them! Laurie Here is a link that might be useful: no-ring feeding syringes
    ...See More

Cooking While Sick / Coughing?

Q

Comments (18)
    This year I've been sick more than anytime in my life. I'm working on my third cold, and had a stomach virus in between. I'm guessing that for the first time in several years, I'm exposed because my grandson is living with us, and he's in Kindergarten this year, and he's been real good at sharing. For the first cold, I was very careful, didn't cook, didn't clean, (the only thing good about being sick!) but it didn't do much good. Now, I'm still being careful, but not nearly as worried as I was at first, because as was pointed out, everyone got sick with the colds, anyway. DH gets a flu shot every year provided free by the city. He works at the library, so he's exposed to tons of germs. He's the only one in the family that didn't get the stomach virus. Jessy, if you have a chronic cough, please, if you haven't already, get it checked out thoroughly. Sally
    ...See More

My cat is sick and I don’t know what to do.

Q

Comments (2)
    Over the years I've learned that ER isn't always the most expensive. When my cat had an abscess the ER visit ended up costing me half what my vet would have charged. How long were you gone, and was the cat by itself? He could be suffering from stress. If he is acting normal in all other ways, you might consider just watching him tonight, add a little pumpkin to his wet food, and see how he does thru the night. Also, ask your vet if you can do an early morning drop-off and then pick up your cat before they close.
    ...See More
  • cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, thanks Mudlady and Linda. Headding to the store now.

I was just copying your recipes for chicken salad, veggie pasta salad and fruit salad, Linda. Thanks for those. You are a lifesaver!

Judy

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

I've had good luck mixing baby food and pedialyte for a sick kitty. The vet can get you a tube of Nutrical which is made for sick animals. It is a calorie dense gel that you just squeeze out a dab at a time. I've put it on the end of my finger to encourage a sick pet to take it.

Best of luck for you both.

: )
    lyra

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lyra, I'll ask specifically for Nutrical. I asked for a calorie dense gel, but he said he didn't know of one. I think he may eat that well.
    Thanks!
    Judy

• petra_gw
    14 years ago

Definitely try baby food, but make sure it's meat only, no onions or garlic. Most cats can't resist it, even when very ill. Also, if you have access to organic liver (chicken, beef, whatever), try that. If he is anemic due to his kidney problems, that might give him a boost. With kidney problems, high quality protein is important. Best wishes for his recovery.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Peter has always been a finicky eater. I've tried about everything, including baby food. I'll try it again.
    Thanks,
    Judy

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Judy, you sure have your hands full right now, I'll be thinking strong healing thoughts for your kitty.

I agree with the baby food, my old cat used to love the stuff. I actually bought it for my old dachshund, the one before WonderWeiner, but the cat just loved the stuff, especially the Gerber lamb in lamb gravy and, believe it or not, the sweet potatoes and turkey (which contained just sweet potatoes, water and ground turkey) I'd check the ingredient list, it's short but I know they change periodically.

As petra mentioned, some cooked liver might be something Peter would like too. Don't overcook it, or it dries out, but you could put some cooked liver into the blender or food processor, add enough broth to make it moist and maybe, just maybe, he'd like that.

Good luck, on everything you have going on!

Annie

• maureen_me
    14 years ago

Also, don't forget the blender. We cooked for a cat who had recurring breast cancer and then got her jaw broken in two places. Everything that she wouldn't or couldn't eat in solid form got pureed with a little water so she could "drink" her food instead.

I'm sorry about the hard things that are happening in your lives now. It sounds as if you can all use the happiness a wedding will bring. Best to the bride and groom--and Peter.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sorry, we must have been posting at the same time. So he doesn't like the baby food. Darn.

Lyra had a good idea with the Nutrical and some Pedialyte in that liver wouldn't hurt either.

Annie

• noinwi
    14 years ago

I'm sorry you're going through so much right now. I've lost a few kitties over the years to CRF(chronic renal failure), so I'm adding a link to a website that helped me with the last one(1 1/2 years ago). If you have the time, read as much as you can. There is info about labwork results(interpreting), what to feed your kitty, and what to do if he/she won't(or can't)eat. There are medications that may help with his appetite. I hope this helps even a little.

Here is a link that might be useful: CRF

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

Cats "taste" through their sense of smell. This being the case, smellier foods are better to entice a cat who has lost interest in food. Unfortunately, you also want foods that are easy on the empty tummy, so a lot of the stinkier things that tempt appetite would not feel good once in.

I had a very ill kitty once, who'd lost interest in food, so I bought some chicken livers (which have a stronger smell than plain chicken) and sauteed them in a bit of chicken fat (to add some more calories, and flavor) and pureed them. She seemed to like the smell, but wouldn't actually eat until I smeared some on her front paws. A cat on the mend, who still doesn't want to eat, sometimes has just enough interest in life to want to be clean, and in this case it worked, she slowly licked her paws clean.

In another 15 minutes I did the same thing, and 15 minutes after that, she licked some from my finger without me having to smear her paws. After that, she began to eat a little at a time. Remember how you feel when you've been sick and not eaten anything, and how shrunken your stomach is at first, and don't expect kitty to scarf food at first.

Another kitty who was ill wouldn't be tempted by anything but tuna water (the water drained from a can of water-packed tuna), but it got her going.

Try different things. Remember too, that odor is stronger when the food isn't cold. Cats tend to like food that is a bit warm (not hot!) as it releases it's scent better. So if you take some food out of the fridge, zap it just for a few seconds to take the chill off, or drizzle it with a bit of melted chicken fat or butter to add aroma.

Good luck!

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

how do I cook liver? I'll try that, too.
    Linda, lamb and lamb gravy is worth a try.
    My grocery cart will be so full of kitty food, there won't be room for the rehearsal dinner stuff, lol.

I would not have thought of the blender, maureen. Thanks for your good wishes.

Thanks, rachelellen. I'll try to saute the chicken livers and get a can of tuna.

noinwi, the link helps a lot. It has a lot of good information. In a former career I was a critical care nurse, so some of the treatments and diagnostic labs are familiar.

If I forgot someone, I am sorry! I'll read through this again when I get home.

Judy

• mudlady_gw
    14 years ago

Smearing on the paw is a good idea. That is the only way I can medicate one of my cats.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Judy, I cook liver just by putting it in a pan with some kind of grease (butter is my first choice, or bacon grease, LOL, but my arteries say olive oil is better) and cooking it until it's tender and just barely pink in the middle. Some people like it more well done, some less.

You could probably poach the stuff in broth too, although I've never done that.

Process the whole mess with enough broth to make it the consistency you want.

Annie

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie, your message came just as I was going toward the checkout, so I made a detour for chicken liver. All they had was frozen. I'll try cooking it later.
    4# chicken wings are simmering. It has our dog's attention!
    Peter ate a little baby rice cereal mixed with low sodium beef broth, yea!

Judy

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Well, hooray, he ate something! That's very good, I'm happy!

Annie

• starlightfarm
    14 years ago

I was the mgr of a 5 doc vet practice for 13 years and we went through TONS of chicken baby food! It's pureed enough that you can syringe it in their mouths if needed (get a larger catheter tip syringe... has a larger opening than a regular syringe).

If cats have not eaten for a while due to illness, it's hard for them to regain their appetite (they think anything/everything will make them nauseous again). If you can get some food in his stomach via syringing it in his mouth (just enough to swallow each time, not much)... it will help to stimulate his appetite again.

Oh, it's so tough dealing with an oldster like this. It's a rollercoaster of emotions... good days, bad days, worse days, one good day, two bad days, etc....

Hang in there.... he will let you know when he's done.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

starlightfarm, thanks for the encouragement. You are so right about up and down emotions. I am just happy he came up stairs and hopped on our bed. He has not done that for more than a week. I am hopeful the change of antibiotic is helping.

If he doesn't eat again, I have the dropper from the discontinued antibiotic I can use to assist feed. The vet suggested a feeding tube, but DH didn't want to do that.

Judy

• starlightfarm
    14 years ago

Glad that he has perked up for you... it makes your heart smile doesn't it?!

Yes, a feeding tube is an option... but before you go that route (if he goes back downhill and won't eat for you).... try to syringe feed him. Sometimes it only takes a day and it will stimulate their appetite and they start eating again.

• jimster
    14 years ago

If I were a cat I would not be able to refuse some well prepared chicken liver, gently sauteed in a little butter. Either that or some poached fish or shrimp.

Jim

• cookingpassion
    14 years ago

I don't post on here much, but I am sorry to hear about your cat. My cat almost died last year due to what the vet thinks was renal failure. She wouldn't eat for a week, vomitted most days, and had to have fluids intravenously for many days.

She would barely touch her favorite foods. I got desperate and bought a bottle feeder and some kitten milk. I bottle fed her for a few days until she regained her strength. Turns out she was born with one functional kidney and one suboptimal kidney. The functional kidney was blocked with kidney stones that sent her health spiraling downward.

The bottle feeding took a few hours a night to get her to take half a bottle, but I believe it helped sustain her until she passed her stones. To look at her now, you wouldn't think she almost didn't survive her ordeal.

You may want to try this route your kitty is still not eating enough. Good luck to you.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim, will you come for dinner if Peter doesn't eat chicken liver? :)

Cooking Passion, your heart must sing knowing your cat survived such a serious illness. They must have done extensive tests to discover the suboptimal kidney. I am glad your cat is doing well. I have looked for kitty milk, and cannot find it in the grocery store. I will be in a bigger city tomorrow and will look for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Judy

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim, will you come for dinner if Peter doesn't eat chicken liver? :)

Cooking Passion, your heart must sing knowing your cat survived such a serious illness. They must have done extensive tests to discover the suboptimal kidney. I am glad your cat is doing well. I have looked for kitty milk, and cannot find it in the grocery store. I will be in a bigger city tomorrow and will look for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Judy

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

You can probably get the kitty milk either from your vet or from one of the big chain pet stores. The link is to what you will be looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement)

• User
    14 years ago

Cats are obligate carnivores, and because of that, they don't get thirsty enough to keep well hydrated (in the wild, most of their fluid comes from the animals they catch); they should get canned food every day. I've seen a few with acute renal failure and diabetes because they were only given dry cat food. You might try canned kitten food.

My cats like the shredded beef and shredded chicken from Friskies. They do lick up the gravy and don't eat much of the "meat". I think Purina made/makes a cat gravy, and I would imagine a few other companies make it too, you might find it at a big box pet store or a small, local pet store that carries exotic things.

Good luck, I've been through this three times in the past few years (other illnesses), it's heartbreaking.

• trsinc
    14 years ago

Awww. Sounds like he's perking up some. I have a big, but very fat, Tabby also. She is also very finicky. She does not like any people food. She only likes dry cat food and certain flavors of Fancy Feast. She prefers that I add water to the F.F. so she can just slurp it up. Maybe you could buy one can of every brand to see if he'll eat one? You might could add water and strain it so it's just 'broth'. It's so hard when they won't eat.

Good luck to you both!

• cookingpassion
    14 years ago

Judy, you can find the milk at any pet store. I warmed it up for her before feeding her. It's a chore and you have to be careful not to tip the cat's head too far back or the cat will get some fluid in his lungs.

As far as the testing went, the vet just took an xray of her and could physically feel one huge kidney and hardly any kidney on the other side. I also tested her stones to see where the stones are coming (either kidneys or bladder). This helped us determine what food to feed her. She is now on a very restricted vet-prescribed diet of low protein. She is doing well now...it was a close call and no vets said she would make it after looking at her test results.

I also wanted to stress that it's important to get your cat to eat something because cats can die from fatty liver disease if they go too long without eating. Also, make sure your cat gets PLENTY of fresh water. I give my cat fresh water with plenty of ice cubes in it twice a day. She likes to play with the ice cubes with her tongue so she ends up drinking quite a bit. That was one thing the vet told us that cats that have renal failure need...lots of water.

You can also ask your vet if your cat would benefit from taking a blood pressure-reducing pill. My vet swears by it that it will take the pressure of the heart and kidneys of compromised cats so the organs don't have to work so hard.

Sorry this is long-winded, but I hope this will help you somewhat. I hope your kitty will get better. It's hard when our furbabies are sick.

• slowlane
    14 years ago

Cotehele, I hope your poor kitty is better soon. My daughter recently saved her dog by feeding it honey--just plain honey. I googled it, and this ok:

"One of the simplest ways to combat lethargy is to boost blood sugar with honey or maple syrup, given every four to six hours. I recommend this for any pet who has stopped eating," explained Dr. Levine, who added that rubbing the syrup or honey on the gums can help in instances where the pet will not lick it voluntarily.

The sugar contained in the honey or maple syrup will help reverse the effects of hypoglycemia, and in many cases this will trigger the cat to resume eating and drinking. One tablespoon is sufficient for every 20 pounds of body weight, given every four to six hours, depending on the animalÂs activity level (more activity requires more sugar)."

Once he's had a little honey and is feeling better, try offering plain yogurt. Just as it can help humans overcome infection, it can help a cat, too, and it's milk based, so he'll probably like it.

I hope all goes well.

• cseim
    14 years ago

What a beautiful kitty! I'm so sorry he's sick.

I had a cat that used to go nuts for cheese. Particularly cream cheese and Kraft Mac & Cheese (even the microwave kind). Sounds wierd, but it' worth trying anything to get his appetite going.

Also, I know someone else touched on this, but heat up the food for better aroma. When my basset hound was very sick and severely dehydrated, she refused to drink any water. I heated up some chicken broth until the aroma filled the room, then mixed it 1:1 with water to cool and dilute it for her. She lapped it right up! It's worth a shot if your kitty isn't drinking either.

Good Luck!

Chrissy

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

momj47, I am sorry you have had such heartbreaking experiences. Pets are so much a part of the family it is hard. Peter would seldom drink from a water dish before he got sick. Now he sits on the counter and drinks and drinks.

trsinc, In the best of times, it is a challenge to get him to eat. He likes food about 2 cans worth, then he wants something else. Friskies is one of his favorites. He has shnubbed every brand on the shelf from cheap to expensive. He ate about half a teaspoon of FF this afternoon.

Cooking Passion, I am so glad things turned out well for your cat. Peter is drinking more than usual, but not enough. He is getting IV fluids once a day under his skin. He is also hyperthyroid. It can cause hypertension that can mask renal failure because of the increased fluid going through the kidneys. They took his blood pressure while he was in the hospital. It must have been OK.

Judy

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

Judy half a teaspoon of FF sounds pretty good since he hasn't been eating at all! And he's drinking a lot. Good. The livers, chicken or baby beef, just saute a bit in some butter since he used to like butter. Cream cheese is a favorite of several of mine and the heating a little does help. I will thinking of ya'll and sending healing thoughts.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Peter is about the same. He ate a few licks of chicken & gravy baby food and a few bites of fancy feast.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am furiously making the rehearsal dinner, so I'll not be able to post much today.

Judy

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

I noticed Nutri-cal is spelled different then I had posted.

Reminds me we have a house rule that "there is always time to pet the cat". Just me and seven cats living here so they get to make most of the rules.

: )
    lyra

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Peter died this afternoon in my arms. He never would eat, and could not keep anything down I gave him with a medicine dropper. Thursday he stopped drinking. He became progressively weaker until the last few days he had to be turned every hour. We buried him beside a holly that adopted us just the same as Peter did.

Thank you for the many suggestions, stories about your own cats and the hope it gave me.

Judy

• trsinc
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry, Hun. I've lost pets and people and a pet is just as hard to lose as any person I've ever known.

Hugs,
    T

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Oh Judy, I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost Peter. He knew who he was adopting, someone who would love and care for him to the end.

Hugs to you.

Annie

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

Judy I'm very sorry to hear about Peter. It's good you had those last weeks with him. As hard as it is I'm grateful he was able to have the comfort of your arms at the end. You have my sympathy. Rest well Peter.

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

Oh, I am sorry for your loss! Well, you really tried, and Peter died in the home he loved, in the arms of someone who loved him. I have had pets all my life, and whatever animal behaviorists might say or cynics might claim, I know they recognize love and kindness and give love and kindness as well.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your kind, comforting words. The last three weeks have been a roll-a-coaster of emotions. Funny how a few licks of food gave my spirits a boost :) I am glad we brought him home rather than leaving him in the hospital. As nice as the techs are, it is a very frightening place. Animals do know how people feel about them, and sense when they are in a caring environment. It is very clear you all have a very special relationship with a pet. They know how lucky they are!

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

I too am sorry for your loss but hope the memories of him always bring you pleasure. Losing a pet is hard, we get so attached to them.

At least you got to ease his suffering in the end simply in the comfort of your arms

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry that you have lost Peter. Like the others, I'm glad that you were at home with him and he felt love and warmth in your arms.

Lee

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Judy I'm so very sorry to hear that you've lost your dear Peter.
    He was lucky to have you and your love with him when he passed away. My condolences.

SharonCb

• starlightfarm
    14 years ago

So, so sorry. I can only imagine what an emotional few weeks you have had. Sweet old animals tug at our heart strings.....

I'm sure that Peter appreciated everything you did for him.

Hugs to you and your family.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It would be so nice if animals could talk. We would know when something is wrong much earlier, and if they hurt they could say so. We just stumble along and hope the interpretation of the body language and behavior is correct.

Thank you. There is solace knowing he is at peace.

Judy

• noinwi
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry, Judy. My heart goes out to you. I hope Peter will visit you many times in your dreams to let you know he is well and without pain. Hugs.

• gssh
    14 years ago

Judy, it sounds as though those last weeks with Peter were precious, and I am sorry for your loss. We had a 15-year-old cat die from renal failure, and it was painful and heartbreaking.

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I didn't post earlier on this thread because so many had already given good advice. When I saw the thread show up again, I was afraid of what it meant. Even though I didn't chime in earlier, I want to extend my sympathies to you on the loss of Peter. At least he was able to be in your arms and loving care as he passed. My heart goes out to you.

Sally

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

noinwi, thanks. I couldn't sleep Saturday night. I did feel little feet walking across the bed as well as hearing the sweet sounds of kitty talk when the house was quite. I don't know if I believe in visits by those who have passed, but my mind was certainly on Peter.

gssh, I am so sorry about your cat as well as the heartbreak and pain you went through. Yes, our time was precious, I hope yours was, too.

Sally, thank you. I appreciate every word of advice, and I tried just about everything. I must say the chicken wings and sauteed liver were mouthwatering to my dog, lol.

Judy

• lindac
    14 years ago

Judy...I am sorry you lost Peter. But he knows you loved him....and loved you back.
    Linda C

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022