Are you making a pi-pie?

l pinkmountain

My husband is making pot pi for dinner tonight. I can't wait to get home and sample his handiwork. Here's one of mine from days gone by - Apple cranberry!

SaveComment20Like4
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

Nope, no pi here, or pie either, unfortunately. Still participating in what The Princess calls "The Diet of Death", LOL. Well, it did deal a death blow to my chance of having pie today, so maybe she's right.

I'll just drool over everyone else's.

Annie

Save    
party_music50

Beautiful pie, lpink! My BF just said he wanted something like a chicken pot pie for dinner, so he's headed to KFC for pi day. I asked him to stop at Wendy's for a grilled chicken sandwich for me. :O)

Annie, you must be having something good! How about a shepherd's pie?

Save    
l pinkmountain

Yeah, my pie days are limited. Last one I had was at a friend's on New Year's eve, a vegetarian pot pie. It was great but I couldn't convince my husband to make it. He said, "Since I'm making dinner, I'm in charge." No complaints on my part for that!

I think that was the only pie I had all of last year. Summer was a blur of wedding stuff. Maybe this summer will be different. I love summer fruit pies! Heck even fall or winter ones . . .

Save    
Martha Scott

Did -- cherry

Save    
plllog

i 8 Σ π

3 Likes Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

I love that!

We didn't cook, I bought an asparagus quiche and half a Dutch apple pie.

Save    
l pinkmountain

I just might have to get that pi dish. Hubs couldn't find a round pie dish so made the pot pie in our 8×8 square one. Kinda contrary to the spirit of pi day. My stoneware deep pie dish appears to have gotten lost in my last move.

Save    
party_music50

Contrary to pi day for sure! lol! I hope you find your stoneware dish. I have far too many pie dishes, but I find that I use certain ones for certain pies, and the excess glass ones are great to use as trays under large potted plants, so they all get used. :)

Save    
annie1992

I also have far too many pie plates, and use a couple of favorites most of the time. However, I've gotten a dozen or so Pyrex pie plates in auction boxes and haven't brought myself to throw them away. Plant trays is a great idea.

Still no pie, I caught some kind of bug and ate nothing on pi day. Toast and peppermint tea right now, before we go to get the taxes done and that's going to spoil any appetite I might have that would return!

Your DH's pie looks good, L, even if it isn't round.

Annie

Save    
party_music50

ugh, poor Annie. I just did my taxes so I know the angst. You'll feel great once they're done! We should have a thread of photos of our favorite pie plates. :)

Another tip: those glass trays in microwave ovens make excellent plant trays for REALLY big pots. :)

Save    
l pinkmountain

I went shopping at the Goodwill today and found one pyrex deep dish one but it was dirty (as in still greasy from the last pie made in it) and cost 3 bucks. Pyrex wasn't my ideal anyway, I was looking for stoneware. If it hadn't had two strikes against it I would have brought it home and washed it. 3 bucks did sound high to me considering. They had a stoneware one but it wasn't quite deep enough.

Save    
party_music50

lpink, $3 does sound too high. I found a stack of various pyrex pie plates at a Salvation Army store a few years ago and paid 50 cents each.

Save    
l pinkmountain

Yeah, I saw a new one just like it on Target's web site for five bucks. I still would have bought it for 3 if I had really wanted a pyrex one. But I'm holding out for stoneware.

Save    
writersblock

I saw a new one just like it on Target's web site for five bucks.

Yeah, but I'd pay extra to get the old one, if it's old enough to have borosilicate glass.

Save    
l pinkmountain

Nope it was this exact one: https://www.target.com/p/pyrex-grip-rite-9-5-glass-pie-pan/-/A-14580725

I love the old pyrex but not so sure about a pie dish one. I'm even wondering about a stoneware one. I have enough trouble as it is getting my pie bottoms to not be doughy.

Edited to add: Maybe next time we'll remember and use our cast iron frying pan. OR, I'm kinda feelin' this pi plate although it is 35 bucks: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TXYP0RM/ref=psdc_14067421_t3_B00IUQNCXS

Save    
annie1992

Well, my FAVORITE pie plate is one that David/Lakeguy gifted to me, it's an Emile Henry and it's the perfect depth and size. I really love it, though, because it was a gift from a good friend. I'd just dropped and broken my Grandmother's old FireKing Peach Lustre pie plate and I was so unhappy. And of course, it had a newly baked pie in it, to add insult to injury. I posted at CF and a couple of days later I got a package from David with a note that said it wouldn't replace Grandma's pie plate, but maybe it would make it a little easier to bear. He's such a nice guy, I miss him.

L, I think your cast iron pan could make an awesome pie crust, definitely try it!

Annie

1 Like Save    
plllog

My favorite pie plates are Pyrex. The old glass was nicer, but the new works fine for pies. The clear glass seems to help on double crust pies. I'm not a pie expert, but have never had a problem with the lower crust baking. For blind baked pie crusts and things like quiches where you don't want browning, I tend to reach for white Corningware. I love my stoneware, but not for pies. Maybe try a Pyrex if you happen on one for 50¢. :)

Save    
annie1992

plllog, I often use the deep dish Pyrex, I find the others to be just a little too shallow.

I do like that I can SEE the bottom of the pie and tell whether it's browned "enough". I don't really seem to have a problem with unbaked crusts in glass, in ceramic, in stone or in metal. I do watch more carefully as the crust seems to get browner on the bottom in the metal. Yeah, THOSE pans are really old...

Annie

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Late to this, but...

All my pie plates are Pyrex, I like that glass is non-stick.

I made something called a pie, but it turned out more like a cake. It was pretty delicious anyway!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Pi Day + Pie Stuff = Yummy Fun
Add these tools and accessories to your baking arsenal and watch smiles multiply
Full Story
Life Spring Forward! 7 Ways to Make the Most of This Weekend
Wild birds, Pi Day or an extra hour of daylight in the evening — which of these pre-spring pleasures tops your list?
Full Story
My Houzz Warm Up Fall With an Apple Pie Party at Home
A pie enthusiast shares a recipe, ideas for pretty crusts, and tips on how she makes the most of her rental kitchen
Full Story