SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

New trend on hair color

glenda_al
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Do you like? The green and pink/ red colors.

Some look good and some not, in my opinion.

Remember when I was in middle school, many years ago, my group dyed our hair with green food coloring. Principal sent us home to wash our hair, before we returned to school.

Comments (39)

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    5 years ago

I like seeing a splash of color in people's hair. I have considered having it done myself but haven't made any plans to do so. Glenda, you were on the cutting edge at an early age!!!

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

It depends. I think younger people look cute but some older people don't pull it off as well. It looks best to be on longer or very short hair. When someone does it with a wavy bob or a perm it often looks clownish.

Six year DGD loves hair chalk. It's temporary and she likes to color streaks for holidays or sometimes just for fun to match an outfit. I am surprised (pleasantly) that her school allows it. I went to the same school 50 some years ago. I got sent to the bathroom to wash of one of those water color Cracker Jack tattoos on my hand. LOL The American flag no less.

• Related Discussions

Care of Carex Comans 'Frosty Curls' New Zealand Hair Sedge

Q

Comments (1)
    Carex comans Frosted Curls usually only needs a combing through to clean. I am concerned about its health...you are on the fringe of hardiness for it. It really is only hardy to zone 7, I believe.
    ...See More

HELP! Hair loss with hair coloring!

Q

Comments (2)
    Does your hairdresser have you sit under a dryer to heat your hair and make the color develop faster? That heat has caused my hair to frizz and break off, so now I just wait at room temperature until I'm "done." Does your hairdresser keep checking your hair every couple of minutes to make sure it's not overprocessing? Natural Instincts is a home product that works reasonably well to temporarily cover grey, is not harsh and comes with a good deep conditioner. BTW, biotin has made my hair (and nails) grow faster, but it hasn't given me more hair. My thyroid hormone was found to be low, which is a common problem, and the replacement hormone I take now has given me a bit more hair -- might be worth checking.
    ...See More

My new hair!

Q

Comments (12)
    No picture yet today, at least not for me. Darn it, I wanted to see another redhead, I'll bet it looks great. I let Ashley talk me into going darker red, I liked the lighter apricot better so next time it's back to the light stuff (which means the gray at my temples doesn't show up so quickly, LOL) Annie
    ...See More

new color trend

Q

Comments (4)
    We bought our first house in 1970 - a contemporary, just north of NYC. It was 6 years old and had been the model home for that model in the development. It had orange countertops! Copper appliances!! A built-in breakfast table that matched the countertops, flanked by tall amber windows. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. When we moved out 6 years later, I never wanted to see the color orange again . . . to this day, I couldn't buy Rachel Ray's cookware because of the orange. That red hood, however, was cool! But I learned my lesson with the orange kitchen . . . I'll put the red somewhere other than appliances in the kitchen . . . where a coat of paint will make it easy to change my mind.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

To each his own...

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I did the front fringe of my hair purple a while back. I loved it and also got tons of compliments. It was a celebratory thing for me, one year after surviving the Harvey flood. It didn't last long.

I do like colors and I do like them in hair, I don't associate it with age or sex. It is fun and makes me smile. If it does the same for the individual that's awesome. We need happy smiles.

• amylou321
    5 years ago

I think its cute on others but not something I would do to my own hair.

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Myself, I would not do it. I do not like the look. But I think if others enjoy this, go right ahead. It is harmless fun.

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    5 years ago

I think it's funny that now its fashionable. When our grannies did their hair and it looked purple everyone joked about it. LOL

• arkansas girl
    5 years ago

To be quite honest, I think it looks ridiculous in my mind. BUT, whatever, everyone has a different idea of what looks cute and if that's fun and cute to you, dye it! At least it's something temporary and when you get tired of it, it just grows out or you can just color over it. I'm a very conservative person as far as my dress and appearance. Think of me as having the news anchor look except more casual. HAHA!

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

I think the "younger me" would have done it. When I was in my teens and twenties, I was very adventurous and had fun with it all. At one time or another, I had long hippie hair, red, blonde, frosted, streaked, a fuzzy mi-mi the poodle perm, a mullet and the Mia Farrow pixie cut. My old photos are hilarious!

• Judy Good
    5 years ago

Nope, I like "normal" hair colors. If there is such a thing LOL

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Years ago, this was a thing with teens. My oldest dyed just the tips of her hair a bright pink.

I can see a washable color and maybe a few strands and maybe if it's for a fun celebration. But, not on a daily basis.

The hair on that I have seen on some looks dull and damaged. yes, they get the attention because it is a shocking color.

Colleen, I looked at your closely, your hair appears healthy. i noticed you are wearing a matching blouse. Do you alway color coordinate your outfits?

• marilyn_c
    5 years ago

Not something I would do, but no opinion about other people doing it.

• georgysmom2
    5 years ago

Not a fan, but whatever floats your boat.........

• nicole___
    5 years ago

I like it on other people. I think bright colors are "happy". I'd like for everyone to "be" happy, look happy and live a happy life.

Right now......I'm rock'in a long/down to my waist, pony tail. Dark brown with auburn highlights.

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Nicole, really? How about sharing a picture?

• colleenoz
    5 years ago

I do have a lot of blue and purple clothes :-) They have always been my favourite colours! That photo was taken at a Balinese wedding we were privileged to be invited to. It was amazing!

• nicole___
    5 years ago

eld....At my age, turning 60 this year, ...I'm not going to get up every morning and spend time blowing out or curling my hair. I brush it, tie it up....and I'm off. If it's hot, I put it "up" with a butterfly clip so my neck is exposed. In Colorado....older women with pony tails and a baseball cap is a pretty common sight. Here I am....wearing a bandana...

• User
    5 years ago

It’s not for me personally but I’ve seen some colors that were beautifully done and gorgeous on the person wearing them. My daughter’s hair is black and she’ll have subtle burgundy or blue highlights added to it. You don’t notice them that much until she’s in the sun.

• Lars
    5 years ago

Purple hair looks good on you Colleen!

I used to have a turquoise beard:

This was a Halloween costume, but I did dye my beard that color, and it was not that easy.

In the 1980s, I used to use fluorescent hair spray on occasion - generally orange or magenta.

• rockypointdog
    5 years ago

It’s a fun look and a harmless way to express yourself, since it’s not permanent.

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

I have no objection to anyone's hair, it's each person's prerogative. I have complimented several people on how lovely their hair looked and they were not your average look. Same with tattoos. It's just a way of expressing your individuality. Being in the hair industry I saw lots of changes and have enjoyed most of them.

• Feathers11
    5 years ago

I admire anyone who steps outside their comfort zone.

The only hair color that I don't care for is the gray/silver that young people use. Done well, it looks almost breathless. But sometimes it can age them 40 years. Not that that's a bad thing, but I just want to say, "Hon, you'll get there soon enough. Trust me."

• kadefol
    5 years ago

I really like it on others but I am not confident enough to pull it off. Re. the silver hair on young people, there is a very young female cashier at one of our local grocery stores who has long silver hair and the combination of aged hair/young face looks stunning.

• Rusty
    5 years ago

It depends on the person, the color, the hair, etc. Some look absolutely gorgeous, some look okay, & I've seen some I think are downright awful. But if the person wearing the 'downright awful' likes it and is happy with it, that's what counts.

IF I had pretty hair, I might consider adding a small (temporary) streak or two of a pretty shade of blue. But my hair is extremely fine, very VERY thin, and it's not a very pretty shade of gray, so I'm not about to do anything that would call attention to it.

Glenda, I think you and I are pretty close to the same age, so I'm wondering where you went to school. I can't imagine anyone where I went, even thinking about coloring their hair at that age! Plaid shoelaces in our white buck oxfords, or sandals in the late spring or early fall were about as daring as anyone ever got.

Rusty

• User
    5 years ago

I love the rainbow look on (some) young people. My hair is naturally salt and pepper - that's as brave as I get.

• colleenoz
    5 years ago

Lars, I think a large part of carrying off an unusual colour lies in picking a colour that suits you. (Love the turquoise beard :-).)

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

colleen, if that's your consistent MO, then it must work for you.

For others, I will admit to a bias, one of my few. As with extreme piercings, large or extensive tattoos, and such things, I can't help but think that many of such people may be unhappy or lacking confidence and are looking for ways to attract attention that doesn't happen otherwise. Or they may be bored with their lives, "what do I do with myself". With nothing notable going on in one's life, it's something to do to get noticed.

• User
    5 years ago

Since many of the young people who try this and use silver, I am way ahead of the game.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    5 years ago

I think the hair colors are great. My own is a more or less natural shade (with help every 7 weeks from my stylist) but I don't object to vibrant tones on others...and Colleen - yours seems to suit you. It appears you have a fresh pretty skin tone to pull it off. ;0)

I have a friend a few years older than I am who is about as conservative as anyone could be. Below the knee skirts and pearls type, and rarely wears makeup. When she finished breast cancer surgery and treatment she had her hair colored purple, and wore it that way proudly for about a year. I think she rather enjoyed startling people, especially those in the congregation at her church.

• Ava
    5 years ago

I have seen it on some people that it looked very good on and others, not so much. But then I am sure those people don't care for my style.

Years ago a friend got some temporary dye that lasted either 6 washes or 6 weeks ... I don't recall exactly. Anyhow, she mixed the powder in the bathroom sink and dunked her jet black hair in. Nothing happened that we could see, so I dunked my head into the sink. My oh my, I ended up with the most beautiful natural looking shade of red hair. I loved it as did everyone. That was the only time, but lately I have been thinking I would like to try red again, just for a change. The thought of roots and upkeep is holding me back. If only I could find a product that gradually washed out, I would do it.

I think if green hair makes you happy, go for it. Life is too short.

• hounds_x_two
    5 years ago

I think it is fun. Thinking about having this done again.

• User
    5 years ago

I LOVE that color Hounds x 2 !!!! I bet it looks wonderful on you !!!

• Lars
    5 years ago

Colleen's hair reminded me of this other Australian.

• whistle_gw
    5 years ago

It's not a new trend around here. Folks have been doing it for years. I did mine (age 73) just for fun some time back. I had red streaks. The red faded really quickly and I haven't done it again. I think it looks cute on the youngsters.

• User
    5 years ago

I like the color too Hounds, it has a very soft look to it.

I found this pic on Pinterest and think it’s stunning.

• arkansas girl
    5 years ago

Often times, those beautiful hair colors are just Photoshopped. This one looks like Photoshop to me. There are a lot of examples they were showing of colored hair that the photo was exactly the same but the hair had different colors photoshopped onto it. So beware, chances are the hair would never look like this photo.

• User
    5 years ago

Yes, I saw that many of the pics are photo shopped but I love that color combo and thought I’d share it anyway. I don’t see why it couldn’t be done in real life though. My sister does hair and is really talented with color, just out of curiousity I may ask her if it’s doable.

• hounds_x_two
    5 years ago

OK! Getting “dipped and clipped” on Friday. Planning on a few purple highlights again. It is always fun.