SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drtthompson2014

Help! Brand new build, GREEN HAIR!

T2 Jay
3 years ago

We finished our new home construction almost a year ago. We are in the country and needed a private well. The water was very hard, so had a professional water softener company install a top line unit. Water tests are all perfect. Then, about 2-3 months into livingning in our beautiful new home my processed blonde hair starts turning blue-green! I phones the water softener folks immediately and they came out to retest the water. All normal water tests (pH, chlorine, etc.) All normal. They didn't know what to make of it, said the plumbing all looked normal. I started using expensive cleansing treatments on my hair that seemed to help some with the discoloration. Then, my son's bathtub formed a green color around the water line. Ok, so now it's not just my hair...
After A LOT of googling I learned that it MAY be from hot water sitting in the copper pipes causing leaching, from our hot water recirculation pump. That, or a grounding problem?
I shut the recirculation pump off for now to see if anything changes, but boy did that thing make a difference in hot water at the ready. Any knowledgeable folks have advice or thoughts?

Comment (1)