SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

How Chinese Food in Los Angeles Emerged As the Best in the Nation

Lars
5 years ago

I have this article from Mouthfuls, written by a Chinese-American.

The same writer, David Chan, also published this article.

He does say that Dim Sum is better in San Francisco than L.A., but what I had in Monterey Park was extremely good and better than what I've had in SF.

Unfortunately, the good Chinese restaurants here are not that close to me - I'm much closer to Japanese restaurants, which I do love. I also love Sichuan and Hunan food, and so I'll have to look for some of those restaurants here for inspiration. BTW, I was never impressed with Chinese food in San Francisco when I lived there - but it was cheap. The Thai restaurants there were much better, but they're not better than the Thai restaurants here.

What is interesting to me is that the writer is called David Chan, which is the same name as my roommate in Austin in the late 1980s when I was studying Interior Design at UT. David was majoring in architecture and was known as the prima donna of the architecture department, which is one of the reasons I wanted him to live with me. He was born in Hong Kong, and his real name was Tze-On instead of David, but he wanted to immerse himself in American culture and therefore chose to call himself David instead, so that Texans could pronounce his name. I spoke to David's father in Hong Kong on the phone a few times, and his father spoke better English than David, which surprised me a bit. David had a brother who had moved to Toronto, as it was going to be easier to emigrate to Canada after Hong Kong became part of China again, and I have lost touch with David, although I am still curious about where he is and what he is doing.

Comments (12)