SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Food and drink in Brazil

Lars
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Kevin and I are having pitaya juice (I think they called it Suco de Pitaya) at Balada Mix in the Ipanema neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro (or was it the Leblon neighborhood?), and we also had sandwiches there. This was the best pitaya juice I have ever had - it was very sweet and flavorful.

I am still trying to adjust to the time zone (and season) back in Los Angeles. It was winter and five hours earlier in Rio. I am also going to have to take some time to go through the 2000 photos I took, not to mention the ones Kevin took.

Food was a mixed bag - a lot of it was way too salty, and some of it was also too sweet, but salt was the major problem. We had kitchens in the two apartments where we stayed, and we did prepare some of the food ourselves, but we mostly ate out. Probably the best thing I had was the octopus. Kevin took photos of that, but I haven't gotten them from him yet.

Anyway, I'm back home now, and still a bit groggy and disoriented, but it's good not to have to try to communicate in Portuguese any more. My Spanish did not suffice, and hardly anyone spoke English, but the friend who invited me to travel with him (Dean) is fluent in Portuguese, and he did pretty much all of the talking for us. I would not go back without taking a class in Portuguese first.

We went to a very interesting food fair in a park in Ipanema, and I'll post photos of that later. We also visited the Christ statue, the top of Sugarloaf, the botanical gardens, Ilha Grande, and a national park 1-1/2 hours north of Rio near Teresopolis - at about 7000 feet elevation.

I do not have all of my food photos organized yet.

Here I am at a restaurant at the top of Sugarloaf:

Comments (22)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!