SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

O/T Travel to Brazil

Definitely off topic, but not sure where to post this. I checked the "Vacations" forum, and the only info on Brazil I found there was regarding cruises, and so that was not helpful.

A friend of mine who lives in Oakland has invited me to go to Brazil with him in June. He has to go there to settle an estate left to him by an uncle in Rio, and he has been to Brazil several times to visit his uncle in the past, but now he wants a traveling companion. At first I thought it was a good idea, since my friend speaks a bit of Portuguese (enough to get around in Brazil), and I thought it would be nice to visit Brazil, although I've never considered going there on my own, for various reasons. My friend wants to visit other areas of Brazil besides Rio as well.

After doing a bit of research, I am now concerned about the crime in Brazil, but besides that, there is the danger of Zika virus, and mosquitoes seem to love me. I took quite a bit of insect repellent when we went to Costa Rica, but I did not notice mosquitoes there. I am not sure how dangerous Zika virus is for someone who is not pregnant, but last night I dreamed that I was pregnant, and so I wonder if this is a warning for me. I've never had a dream like that before, and it was something like Rosemary's Baby, and I was Rosemary - not at all realistic, since I am male, but still a bit scary. I generally do pay attention to dreams that I think may be prophetic, but regardless of that, I do now think that Brazil may be more dangerous than I want to deal with at this time. I was also thinking of taking Kevin with us, and perhaps there would be more safety in numbers. I think I will tell my friend that I will not go without Kevin.

Should I go or should I stay? (To quote The Clash) Alternatively, Kevin and I were thinking of taking a road trip in July/August to Mono Lake, California, and Oregon. I've been to Oregon many times, but Kevin has not. I would also like to go to Banff, which Kevin has visited and I have not, but I think it is too late this year to make reservations for that.

Ricky (Fawnridge) has already told me that he would not go back to Brazil without a bulletproof vest and a loaded handgun, neither of which I have.

Comments (46)