SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elliejoy_whiteman

Old to new hardwood floor dilemma

El G
5 years ago
We are in middle of remodeling our kitchen. Prior to this project we took our all carpet and refinished the original 1938 hardwood floors that were underneath ourselves. They are 1 1/4” oak.
Once we finished demoing our kitchen, the hardwood that is throughout the rest of the house was not underneath the 2 layers of linoleum we pulled up. We decided to install unfinished red oak and stain the same color we re-finished the other oak floors with. (Although we could not find unfinished 1 1/4” width wood at a reasonable price so we settled on 2 1/4” thinking if we used the same stain it shouldn’t be that noticeable of a transition)
Seems like that was a major oversight. I just began staining the new floors last night with ZAR 116 cherry hardwood stain that I used throughout the rest of the house to match all of the original trim and crown moulding.
And it. Is. Red.
The rest of the house took it with a nice warm shade. I am at a loss of what to do. Do I go completely different color in kitchen? Or try to match? Anyone have experience with this?
I will add pictures of what it looks like in rest of house vs. kitchen last night
Maybe it will look better once I get a second coat down?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths