SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

In praise of bottles of salad dressing

5 years ago

So we had the thread for confessing what salad dressings we have which devolved into oneupsmanship over making our own. I make most of my own, too, though have a couple I keep around. When they get grotty I replace them. But salad dressings can be useful!

Tonight I was visiting, and we had Greek take out for dinner. It was cook's night off. It was good, and well prepared, but mine was a little lacking in flavor and moisture (I should have gotten the lamb, which was luscious, but I wasn't in the mood). I figured out what it needed was a sauce, but I didn't want it enough to rudely absent myself from the table making a proper lemon sauce or something Since I have run of the kitchen (so long as I don't upset cook), I took less than a minute to combine a dollop of Marie's honey mustard and a splash of Girard's Greek feta dressing, thinned with rice wine vinegar (the only one I could reach without a stepstool) and added a bit of French's mustard for pop. It was perfect. It was fabulous on the chicken, good on the beef, and even made the potatoes interesting enough to eat some of.

What salad dressings have is oil, vinegar, seasoning, spices and herbs already together. That can be very useful....

Comments (12)