SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Sugar free puddings

lucillle
5 years ago

I saw some instant sugar free pudding mixes in interesting flavors such as cheesecake and white chocolate. Has anyone tried them, are they delicious or yucky?

Comments (34)

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

I would imagine that if you are not sugar-restricted in your diet, they might not be the best. OTOH, if you cannot have real sugar treats, these might be satisfying.

lucillle thanked sushipup1
  • clearwaters
    5 years ago

Just made an icebox pie with the sugar free chocolate. Got sugar free graham cracker crust and sugar free cool whip. We like most of the puddings, although I wasn't crazy about the cheesecake.

I also use them to make cake with the pudding mix, eggs and oil. DH can't have sugar and I don't need it.

lucillle thanked clearwaters
  • Related Discussions

Jello Pudding

Q

Comments (7)
    I've heard warnings regarding headaches, etc, too and really don't think one should indulge often in the artificials, truly. I don't get any symptoms but the safety is somewhat in question. But the white chocolate was awesome if it were sugar-free [I'm sure it was but a long time ago]. I made a key-lime/white chocolate diet pie. YUMM. Freestyled the recipe, of course, so no clue whether I could make it again!
    ...See More

RECIPE: Fat Free-Sugar Free

Q

Comments (3)
    I use Splenda for everything that uses sugar. It's wonderful. It leaves no after taste. I'm going to try the old fashion sugar fudge next. I made the chessecake that was on the bag. It was pretty good also. I drink alot of tea, and splenda is the only thing I use to sweeten it with.
    ...See More

TrixieTx, here's the Better Than Robert Redford Dessert

Q

Comments (6)
    It sounds like you could also substitute "Lite" versions of the cream cheese and Cool Whip, use skim milk instead of whole milk, Sugar Free pudding mixes instead of the loaded variety, to make this a little bit "lighter". But could you substitute light tub margarine for the stick butter? (Light tub margarine has no trans fats. I have yet to find a stick butter that does NOT have trans fats.) PS The name of the recipe may eventually have to be updated to something like "Better Than Johnny Depp Dessert", grin. Say "Robert Redford" to most of today's youngsters and they don't have the slightest idea who you're talking about! Always on the lookout for a good lite dessert, DonnaR/CA
    ...See More

ISO:Sugar free frosting recipes

Q

Comments (8)
    There is a product that is like a non dairy whipped cream. Pastry Pride and Flavor Right are two brands. You whip it up like whipped cream but it has the consistency of icing. It tastes fine on it's own and is extremely low sugar and dairy free. You can flavor it with cocoa powders,pudding mix or custard mix. You can even mix cream cheese into it. I use it more for fillings ( makes a lovely custard) than I do icing since everyone loves my buttercream. But it does taste good and is extremely stable. It pipes well. You can freeze the unwhipped and even freeze it whipped. It can be left out at room temperature even in warm conditions for 24 hours and remain stable.It does tend to crust however after a longer time out. If I can't use buttercream for some reason I use it. It is excellent in hot weather. The only icing I can't stand is fondant. It looks good and you can look like an artist without too much practice creating fabulous "looking" cakes but I prefer not to have to chew my icing. LOL
    ...See More
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

If you are referring to your standard jello-like sugar free instant pudding, I think they're pretty awful :-( Most sugar free products have a very unnatural flavor to me and an unpleasant aftertaste that lingers..

However, I have tried a couple of the Sans Sucre products and both the chocolate and lemon mousse mixes were not at all bad! Just do not read the ingredient label.....there is nothing recognizable on them as a real food item (see above comment!!).

lucillle thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I make a strawberry pie using fresh strawberries, one small pkg of SF

strawberry Jello and one small pkg of SF vanilla pudding that is “cook and serve”. We love It! Btw, no crust'

lucillle thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

Please if you make something sugar free to share in a group put a large label next to it stating it is made with alternative sugars. Some of us have bad reactions to them.

lucillle thanked maifleur01
  • User
    5 years ago

I don't eat sugar substitutes. Add my name to Oklamoni's post.

lucillle thanked User
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

I'm unable to eat artificial sweeteners except steevia. I even have to use mouthwash without artificial sweeteners due to my autoimmune issue. So sorry, I can't be of help.

lucillle thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • bengardening
    5 years ago

We got some from my husbands DB. First thing my DH said why did you buy that. I said I didn't it came from your DB. I made a banana cream pie. I used a wire whisk to mix it up. While I was stirring it, it had the most awful smell. It had to be the sugar substitute in it. I will never buy it. I couldn't taste it but I sure could smell the difference.

lucillle thanked bengardening
  • User
    5 years ago

Cheesecake is to die for! Put some raspberries (I make syrup out of them first) on top and it's like a crustless cheesecake.

lucillle thanked User
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

I don't think the cheesecake tastes anything like cheesecake. The jello is awful! Diet Snapple is good....but not good for you.

Add my name to Moni's post.

If you want something low cal and filling....?.....a carrot satisfies....or Chobani yogurt with a few blueberries added. Oatmeal with honey on top. Raisins. A banana with peanut butter on top.

lucillle thanked nicole___
  • kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

I all ways put a sign out when I bring my pie to any function. So many are diabetic and appreciate the pie, having an option of something SF and many can’t have SF things, so they to have a heads up too!

• amylou321
    5 years ago

If you are used to sugar free stuff or diet sodas and other stuff with artificial sweeteners they are good. I buy sugar free jello and pudding for low carb sweet treats.

lucillle thanked amylou321
  • arcy_gw
    5 years ago

Low calorie???? "Chobani yogurt with a few blueberries added. Oatmeal with honey on top. Raisins. A banana with peanut butter on top." We have different standard for low calorie.

As I age the sugar substitutes taste more and more offensive. Pick your poison, is the name of this game: Sugar or artificial ingredients. I have found the SF puddings to be quite decent substitutes for what we use pudding/jello for. But I have never been accused of being a picky eater. LOL.

lucillle thanked arcy_gw
  • ghoghunter
    5 years ago

We use the sugar free jello cook and serve puddings. They are hard to find in the store so we buy them from Amazon. They come in either vanilla or chocolate and that is the only flavors we can find. We like them a lot. We are not fond of the instant puddings although I have had them and they are not too bad but we like the cook and serve much better.

lucillle thanked ghoghunter
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

All of your comments are interesting but I still did not really get a sense of whether the puddings I asked about were delicious or yucky.

So (in the interests of science, of course) when I went to Walmart today I bought approx 20 packages of puddings of all kinds: sugar free, regular, instant, cook-to-eat, in various flavors. My usual puddings are either Jello or the store brand, but I saw Hersheys and Godiva chocolate pudding in packages, and I shouldered the heavy burdens of research (lol) and got them too.

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

I would gladly be your taster!

• lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You are certainly welcome! I plan to start with the Godiva chocolate:)

• donna_loomis
    5 years ago

DH is diabetic and asked if we could try the sugarles puddings. I knew I wouldn't like them. Not because they are sugarless, but because they are instant. I don't care for instant puddings, even WITH sugar. IMHO, cooked is just better. I've never seen a sugarles pudding that is cooked. What's up with that? Anyway, I made him the packaged sugarless pudding and the next week I used a recipe for cooked pudding, sugarless, and he could taste the difference. So, homemade it is.

lucillle thanked donna_loomis
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I used instant lemon pudding for my recent cream puffs and it was good. Donna it may be that you and others have different or more discerning tastebuds than mine .

We're all different, some people like instant, some don't. When I went to Walmart I estimate that instant probably took at least half the total pudding shelf space. It may be that busy people are willing to sacrifice taste for speed, but it is possible that it may be that the two types of pudding instant and cooked are equally acceptable to them.

As far as eating pudding as pudding I think cooked is better, but I enjoyed the instant as creampuff cream. However I am very much looking forward to my research project comparisons.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

A comment about cooked vs instant. Instant is good if eaten within about 24 hours and in individual serving. I find that once the surface tension is disturbed they tend to become watery. Cooked puddings tend not to do that.

Recently I tried stevia sweetened products and although I did not have my normal reaction to most artificial sweeteners I still had that bitter tang. Before anyone states that stevia is natural I would agree if it was green leaves but it has been processed much more than simply boiling down syrup and refining it which to me changes it from a natural ingredient to something not so natural.

lucillle thanked maifleur01
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

To my taste buds, all products that contain artificial sweeteners have a bitter after taste so I don't think I'd like the sugarless puddings, although since I've never tried them, I can't say that with 100% certainty.

I'll be interested to read the results of your science project. :-)

lucillle thanked DawnInCal
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will certainly publish my findings in this prestigious journal 'Kitchen Table', but as I tried to point out previously it is neither objective nor scientific since it is my buds doing the judging, and I use a lot of sugarless products in diet soda and Splenda for my iced tea.

But it may be that puddings do use a different kind of artificial sweetener and it make be that it will be bitter. Or it may be as I pointed out previously that maybe my buds are not as discerning as other buds.

Note, the Jello artificial sweetened puddings of 3 different flavors identified acesulfame potassium as the sweetener. Moni's comment was spot on however, there are a ton of foreign sounding ingredients in the sugar free puddings. However, to me, that invites research, as foreign sounding is not necessarily negative, if you don't know about something that does not automatically make it evil although it might be.

• nicole___
    5 years ago

arcy_gw.....

Sugar free chocolate pudding = 60 calories/3.25oz

Chobani plain yogurt = 74 calories/3.25oz

???? This has been my experience....and I can add a few blueberries to the yogurt to make it really tasty.....JMHO

lucillle thanked nicole___
  • donna_loomis
    5 years ago

Yes, Lucille, we all taste things differently. But you asked if instant sugarless puddings were delicious or yucky and all I could offer was my opinion. IMO, they are yucky.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sadly, the instant Godiva chocolate pudding I made this afternoon is yucky.

• User
    5 years ago

Oh that's too bad! Was it sugar free or regular?

• lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It was regular instant. With the Godiva name I thought for sure it was going to be yummy but it didn't turn out that way. Thumbs down yucky. Tinny, watery, not very chocolatey taste.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I almost halted the experiments because I was so disappointed that the Godiva pudding was not yummy. However, today I made 'Chocolate French Silk' by Royal that is sold as a mousse or pie filling, instant, made with sugar. It is yummy. More chocolate taste and a nice texture. Still not as good as a cook-to-eat chocolate pudding, but I'd make it again. Would make a great filling for cream puffs.

• glenda_al
    5 years ago

Lucille, you need to try this recipe. Best chocolate pudding I've ever made. My opinion ONLY! :o)

Grandma’s Old Fashioned Chocolate Pudding
    The quick easy way!
    1/2 cup of Bisquick
    3/4 cup of granulated white sugar
    1/3 cup of Cocoa
    1 cup of water
    2 cups of whole milk
    Combine Bisquick, sugar and cocoa in large saucepan. Gradually stir in water and milk. Cook stirring
    constantly with wire whisk, over medium high heat, until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir
    constantly for 1 minute. Spoon into serving dishes. Cover as pudding will get a light skin on it if you
    don’t.
    Serves 6

lucillle thanked glenda_al
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you I will try it!!

I wonder if Jello is phasing out cook puddings? I went to Walmart.com to see what flavors they had and they were sold out of most of the cook pudding flavors. So I bought some of the large packs on Amazon, and I'm fixing to use Glenda's recipe so I can make my own.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I made the instant cheesecake pudding yesterday and did not like it. However, one poster did like the cheesecake flavor. My beef was the aftertaste (here is a comment from one of the posters that described it exactly Most sugar free products have a very unnatural flavor to me and an unpleasant aftertaste that lingers.) I did not detect this taste with the other instant puddings. I am wondering if some people are simply more sensitive to those artificial flavors. ?

• bengardening
    5 years ago

here is another recipe for cooked pudding that is good. 1/4 c. cornstarch, 3/4 c. sugar, 1/4 c cocoa,1/4 tsp salt, 2 c, milk Mix together in a microwave safe bowl. microwave for 8 minutes stirring every 2 minutes. Add 3 egg yolks and a tsp vanilla and stir. Let set for a couple of minutes and it is ready. You can make a meringue with the egg whites if desired. I usually mix the dry ingredients together first and then pour in the milk. That way the cocoa mixes in easier.

lucillle thanked bengardening
  • ldstarr
    5 years ago

I'm with some of the others. I prefer not to use any of the "other" sweeteners. Since I do try to eat a very limited amount of processed sugar, it means I've learned I like lots of things without adding any sugar. Unsweetened Tea (Iced or Hot), Plain Greek Yogurt. We simply don't make pastry type desserts, but often have a bowl of fresh fruit.

lucillle thanked ldstarr