SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kasue1954

Painted Floor Ruined -- Any Fix To It?

Karen
5 years ago

I wanted something prettier than a wood floor or tile. I don't like linoleum in dining rooms. Hubby cut strips from oak veneer plywood and nailed them down. I primered with a floor and porch primer then I messed up big time. I cannot recall why I used regular Sherwin Williams latex wall paint for the two coats of base paint. Maybe I thought the sealer would protect it enough? Then I stenciled a border and fake rug with apple barrel acrylic paints. Then I had a light bulb moment. Oh yeah, what was that sealer I was suppose to use? Now every place I ask online or locally, I am told that no matter what sealer I use, it will wear off. That it won't stand up at all.

So, do I sand down all this latex paint, primer again with floor and porch paint, and then put a base coat of porch paint? I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do the rug or stenciling again because it would require too many gallons of porch paint to get all the colors.

I'm 65 and my legs and knees are killing me, but I'd do it all over again if I could get all the right colors in porch paint. Can you even put porch paint over regular latex paint?

Thank you.

Comments (44)