Averted a slow cooker fail

Feathers11

This morning I put about 7 lbs of pork shoulder into my slow cooker for Super Bowl pork tacos. Placed the slow cooker on the workbench in the garage and walked away. A few hours ago, I checked on it to discover the pork had expanded and the tip of the roast had pushed the lid open, releasing heat and steam and disrupting the cooking process. I have no idea how long it was like that. Given the timeframe, I thought about bringing it in and finishing the cooking in the convection oven to speed things up. But instead I rearranged the meat, reset the cooker on high, and placed a heavy towel over the top. I just checked it (without removing the lid!) and it's cooking again. This wouldn't work with a less-forgiving meat.

SaveComment7Like1
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jasdip

Wow, good thing you checked!!!

Save    
plllog

It should be fine. Lucky it's for tacos. If it isn't quite as done as you want, you can cut slabs and finish them some liquid in a frying pan or oven before shredding it. But it'll probably be just fine!

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

While DH and I were being married, we buried a leg of beef into a pit and a neighbor was supposed to be watching it! The soil cracked, letting air into the BBQ pit!

Thankfully, one of our guests was a butcher and was able to cut away any spoiled meat! No one died and we also had a BBQ'd goat!

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

ah, nothing like a good, mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich...

*billy crystal princess bride moment*

Save    
arkansas girl

How did it turn out? 7 lbs is huge for a slow cooker! I've put a pork butt in the slow cooker that was maybe 3 lbs and it took all day to get tender enough to pull! I can't imagine that 7 lbs would be done in time for the super bowl!

Save    
Feathers11

It turned out well! The last 4 hours were on high (we ate at halftime) with the towel over the lid to help insulate it. My cooker is oval and 7 lbs fit when strategically arranged. I had 2 roasts and cut up one to piece around the other.

The meat was tender and pulled apart with a fork. I followed this recipe. Doubled the ingredients. After the roast was shredded, I simply placed it on a sheet pan under the broiler to crisp up one side (as opposed to frying batches per the recipe). The flavors seem simple but they're perfect for pork tacos if some in the crowd do not like anything too spicy. The taco fixings supplied the extra flavor for those who wanted it. Everyone liked it. My family, in particular, would be brutally honest if it weren't good.

ETA Nancyjane now that would have sent me over the edge!

2 Likes Save    
arkansas girl

Thanks for the update/follow-up! I'll check out that recipe.

ETA: That recipe looks out of this world...YUM!

Save    

Related Stories

Holidays Houzz Call: Show Us Your Thanksgiving Fails
On some holidays you are just thankful when it’s over
Full Story
Accessories Budget Decorating: How to Decorate Smart and Slow
To make the most of your decorating dollar, forgo the disposable stuff, think vintage and free first and give yourself a splurge
Full Story
Kitchen Design Considering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
Kitchen Appliances A Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
Disaster Prep & Recovery How to Prepare for and Live With a Power Outage
When electricity loss puts food, water and heat in jeopardy, don't be in the dark about how to stay as safe and comfortable as possible
Full Story
Kitchen Design 9 Places to Put the Microwave in Your Kitchen
See the pros and cons of locating your microwave above, below and beyond the counter
Full Story
Kitchen Design 5 Trade-Offs to Consider When Remodeling Your Kitchen
A kitchen designer asks big-picture questions to help you decide where to invest and where to compromise in your remodel
Full Story
Kitchen Backsplashes Kitchen Ideas: How to Choose the Perfect Backsplash
Backsplashes not only protect your walls, they also add color, pattern and texture. Find out which material is right for you
Full Story
Most Popular 9 Ways to Save on Your Kitchen Remodel
A designer shares key areas where you can economize — and still get the kitchen of your dreams
Full Story