Chase’s roasted red pepper soup

Louiseab Ibbotson

After all the accolades I’ve read about it I’d love to try it, but after searching I can’t find the recipe. Anybody have it to share? Also, I would assume that it calls for roasting your own peppers. Could jarred roasted peppers be used in a pinch?

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

louise, in case Sharon doesn't come back soon, here is the one I have. She gave it to me when Elery and I visited her in Toronto:

Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Source: Sharon(chase)

4 Red Bell Peppers,roasted, seeded and peeled
2 TBSP Butter (or margarine)
1 Red onion,chopped
2 Garlic cloves,minced
4 cups Chicken broth
1 TBSP Lemon Juice
Salt & Pepper to taste

Saute onions and garlic in butter until soft. Add red peppers. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add broth cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add lemon juice. Process in food processoe until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Place back on stove until ready to serve.

NOTE: To roast the peppers place whole peppers under the broiler or on a hot grill. Turn peppers until blackened on all sides. Place hot peppers in a plastic bag and tie shut. When the peppers have cooled completely remove from the bag. Remove all the skin and seeds.

I don't see why jarred roasted red peppers wouldn't work, although the flavor might not be as sweet as red bell peppers.

Annie

Save     Thanked by Louiseab Ibbotson
chase_gw

Thanks Annie, that's the one. It's my go to recipe for company because it's easy yet elegant. Of late I've been adding a dollop of creme fraiche when serving.

Each Fall I roast and freeze a bushel of red peppers so making this soup is a snap. I've never used jarred peppers so can't comment on that but for sure they would have to be packed in water , not oil.

Save    
catticusmockingbird

Chase, is that your original recipe? The one I have includes 1/4 cup of cream or half 'n half.

I make it at least once a month. I used to roast my own peppers, but it's just as easy to use jarred. I buy them at Trader Joe's.

I sub shallots for the red onion and add some minced serranos. I grow serranos and let them turn red before harvest. I keep a supply in the freezer for year round use. Gives the soup a nice little kick.

Don't forget the lemon wedges for serving. Adds a wonderful flavor profile to the finished soup.

Save    
chase_gw

Not sure what you are asking catticus......

Yes that is my original recipe, although I got it from somewhere so it isn't "original " in that sense. I think maybe from the " Best of Bridge" but that was decades ago.

I have never added cream but I can see how that would be good.

Save    
catticusmockingbird

My copy of your recipe calls for cream. I did adapt it with the shallots and serranos, but thought the cream was on the original. Maybe it said creme fraiche and I changed it to cream. It was in the Trattoria cookbook that Eileen put together.

Save    
chase_gw

That's odd, I have never used cream and it's not in my copy of my recipe. I just started using a dollop of creme fraiche on top lately. I can see how it would be good with cream but I've never done that.

You have me curious, I'm going to see if I can find where I originally got the recipe.....it was a million years ago.

Save    
catticusmockingbird

I found the Trattoria cookbook, but I don't think it's complete. There's no soup category and I could have sworn that's where I got your recipe ... but maybe not.

view

Save    
chase_gw

My copy doesn' t have a soup section ether which I find odd. However, what a great trip down memory lane and a reminder of some dynamite recipes I haven't made in ages.

1 Like Save    
Lars

My copy starts with soup, and yes, your roasted red pepper soup recipe is in there. My copy has 242 pages.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Great Lakes Gardening Great Lakes Gardener's August Checklist
Pick the peppers and drink in the scent of lilies this month, while you mull over a mowing strip to make fall gardening easier
Full Story
Kitchen Design Houzz Call: Tell Us About Your First Kitchen
Great or godforsaken? Ragtag or refined? We want to hear about your younger self’s cooking space
Full Story
Edible Gardens Cool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Beets
Give canned versions of this fall and spring garden favorite the heave-ho and discover its true flavor and colors
Full Story