SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

Which roses have the strongest "old rose" fragrance?

While I enjoy the other fragrances like tea, citrus etc, I have yet to come across the "rose" fragrance that is really strong. (I am a newbe).

I only have a couple of spots in my small yard, so am looking for the strongest, rosy smelling roses. If it can go in a container, even better. I will be clearing a small corner this year, so a mannerly climber or larger bush is ok, but definitely need to be repeat blooming.

Thanks a lot!!

Comments (48)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

climbing Crimson Glory or bush Crimson Glory. I also find munstead wood quite strong.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

For a modern rose, over here, they would say 'Gertrude Jekyll'... it used to bloom twice for me, two good flushes, and during those times it was difficult to resist..

'Munstead Wood' is another, but sometimes it's not always there for me..

A repeating Bourbon, 'Mme Isaac Pereire' or 'Mme Ernest Calvat' would have the scent you are looking for.. they are supposed to repeat quite well..

One that is rarely mentioned, a hybrid perpetual, is 'Eugene Furst'.. dark crimson and wonderfully scented... but repeat is sparse...

For scent and repeat you can't get much better than old 'Blush Noisette'..

Everyone has their favourites according to where they live...what does well for them..

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked User
  • Related Discussions

My favorite old roses for fragrance

Q

Comments (14)
    Wow, not many of those grow down south but I have enjoyed the Compte all season and the celebration of the summer is when Great Maiden's blush casts her magic over the garde and I lead my friends around soemnly proclaiming "This is what the 12th century smelled like! I love her and yes that scent is so good. la
    ...See More

Do you have the book 'Tea Roses: Old Roses for Warm Gardens'

Q

Comments (14)
    Ronda One of my favourite rose books was recommended by Rosebud, a former forum enabler, I'm not sure of the name of the book, it's at home in Oz and overseas so this is guess work ....Landscaping with Roses and I think the author's last name is Cox ???? I like it because it has lots of ideas for how to use roses rather than just describing individual blooms and bushes. The Tea Rose book is very good, it has quite a lot of technical information for the identification of varieties and as Jon said tries to explain some of the common mis-identification of roses. The whole thing about the Duchess being called Countess something or other makes me want to sulk though!!
    ...See More

Which miniature has best old rose form?

Q

Comments (5)
    Here are some pics from the www.selectroses.ca website of the Patio Wonder series. I grow all of these and have raved about them on here lots of times, in terms of winter hardiness, disease resistance, form, vigour and bloom production. Most have good scent too. Here is Graduation Day. Here is White Patio Wonder. Here is Pink Patio Wonder. Here is red Patio Wonder. The only problem being of course...is that Brad Jalbert and Select Roses do not ship to the U.S. currently...
    ...See More

Which old roses do you consider to be classics?

Q

Comments (33)
    Indeed. I have Tuscany and love it. I would certainly consider Kazanlik & Ispahan to be classics. Conditorum is available in Germany, so it has not really fallen into obscurity in the EU. I think chance plays a part in distribution. My first introduction to old roses was the Will Tillotson catalogue in the house of a family friend, a writer who lived in the country, which we rented for the summers when I was 15 or so. The catalog was so well written I had it practically memorized with no effort on my part. Then there were also the garden books of those years, which I took out of the library & read with avidity, and the Shakespeare gardens in NYC parks which displayed some of the roses mentioned. Those set the standards for me. -- I think there must be is a distinct "founder" effect -- or bottleneck in what gets chosen as representative, thought there is also much consensus among aficionados based on observable qualities. We now have so much more info. at our disposal. I only discovered Conditorum a few months ago!
    ...See More
  • jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

Rekha - as you are a newbie, I will mention that you really need to pay attention to where the advice you get is coming from. It turns out some roses like some places, and hate others. It is really important to find roses which like your climate. I am also in zone 9, but the climate where I garden is Mediterranean - hot, totally dry (for 6+ months) summers, and mild, very wet winters. Are you in a dry summer or humid summer zone 9?

Having said all of that, I would second Crimson Glory, at least here. Even the climbing version does not get much taller than 8-10 feet here, but you might want to get the bush version. Fragrance is exactly what you are talking about. In my garden, a very old rose which has the old rose fragrance as strong or stronger than Crimson Glory is 'Eugene de Beauharnais'. In my garden it stays 3-4 feet high. Here is a pic:

Jackie

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked jacqueline9CA
  • mariannese
    5 years ago

Not a modern rose but one with the true damask scent is Rose de Rescht. Damask scent is usually considered to be the most typical old rose smell. It repeats fairly well for me.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked mariannese
  • plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    5 years ago

I don't know what roses you already have, but two roses that are always fragrant for me here in Houston are Cramoisi Superieur and Maggie. If I was ever forced to reduce my rose numbers to just a few, I think these would always be on my list. Neither are what I would call small, but Maggie is smaller for me than Cramoisi Superieur. You could grow either one in a large pot for a couple of years, but I am doubtful about how well they might do potted long term.

Another favorite for fragrance is McClinton Tea. Not everyone likes its often blowsy look, but I do.

If you have ever been to the Antique Rose Emporium's Fall Festival of Roses that is held at the beginning of November every year, then you will have surely seen a vase of Chrysler Imperial. The fragrance is always outstanding, although I don't know if the plant is as easily grown as the other three I mentioned.

For David Austin roses, Munstead Wood is a real winner, in my opinion - lovely fragrance, lovely flowers, good disease resistance. It will produce flowers in the heat of summer, too. I have grown it own root.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
  • K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    5 years ago

I have no idea how it will do for you, because I am in Seattle, but I can also testify to the outstanding fragrance of Gertrude Jekyll. This spring I made a bunch of rose jam and jelly from her flowers, and so am still enjoying my rose in the middle of winter. As Marlorena indicates, this rose also gives me two big flushes, with sprinkled blooms between.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
  • erasmus_gw
    5 years ago

Rouge Royale has a superb old rose fragrance. First bloom on my new plant from Roses Unlimited:

Subsequent blooms were a little darker red, really a gorgeous deep color.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked erasmus_gw
  • ladybug A 9a Houston area
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jackie, I am in humid 9a, houston has to be up there for year round humidity.

Marlorena, I have Mme Ernest Calvat which was bought by mistake last year, it has not bloomed and is in the wrong spot size wise, so will move her and see. I am eagerly waiting for spring for this one! After reading several reviews, I almost feel like when I was going around searching for fragrance, this rose came to me:). Now, I am petrified of damaging while transplanting...

Plantloverkat, I like the way Maggie looks, will read up more

Lots of red rose suggestions, I will have to find a spot. My garden is mostly pastels.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Wild Edric, an Austin rugosa, probably comes closest to an old rose fragrance in my garden; another is Bishop's Castle. I have mostly tea roses which have a light fragrance except for Duchesse de Brabant, although her lovely fragrance is not exactly old rose, I don't think. My climate is not really supportive of roses with that true old-rose fragrance, unfortunately.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Ingrid, I want to try bishops castle, but have to find a source for own root. I have Duchesse de Brabant, find the fragrance more tea like.

I don't usually bring my Rose's inside so fragrance may be hard to detect. Although I am now finding most of the blooms ball due to our wet wet weather, so I find myself bringing a few blooms that survive in.

• monarda_gw
    5 years ago

The true European old roses may or may not be suited for the climate of Texas. I believe some report that they need winter cooling to blooms properly (on the other hand, hot weather is not unknown in Syria, Persia, and Egypt where these roses originated so I don't exactly know why this should be so). More to the point they bloom but once in mid-Spring. Cool weather prolongs their season and enlarges their blooms, whereas hot days cut it short and blast the flowers. In any case, the safest bet for the true old-European fragrance could be those earliest Hybrid Perpetuals which have some China (rose bengal) admixture. I have to say that Bourbon roses, which are a mixture of old European and more tropical Asian kinds have fragrances that are intoxicating, perhaps the best of all.

The fragrance of the true "old European" rose is a very simple, sweet scent that has been described as like baby powder, and indeed the old rose attar has been added to soaps and other personal products for millennia.

I have been eyeing David Austin's The Mayflower and its white sport Susan Williams-Ellis, myself, because on Helpmefind the commenters are over the moon about what they term its wonderful old rose fragrance: http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.35262&tab=32 and I'd like to see for myself if this is true.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked monarda_gw
  • Darren Harwood
    5 years ago

Gertrude Jekyll and Mr Lincoln :)

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Darren Harwood
    Original Author
    5 years ago

mme ernest calvat bloomed yesterday and the fragrance is to die for. I love the bloom shape and color as well. Unfortunately I have to move her this weekend. Hoping I don't mess up!

I had been extremely windy today and most of my blooms have lost all the petals, but she is still hanging on looking good. Not sure how she performs in hot weather, but will report back.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    5 years ago

May want to look at Grandmother's Hat, The Portland from Glendora, Yolande and some of the other older roses that would do well in your 9a zone.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • pippacovalent
    5 years ago

Sheila that's beautiful!

Original Author
    5 years ago

That is just out of the world beautiful Sheila! Heirloom showed it out of stock...hope its it's back soon.

Original Author
    5 years ago

I have been searching for bishops castle, pat austin and lady EH own root...no luck..

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    5 years ago

I think I got Lady Emma Hamilton from Pat at Roses Unlimited:

https://rosesunlimitedsc.com/2016/12/13/english/

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
  • suncoastflowers
    5 years ago

My Compte de Chambord rose reminds me of my Grandmother's rose scented face powder.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked suncoastflowers
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    5 years ago

I've been following this thread with interest, but not commenting because I was curious to see how others answered this question. Which roses have the strongest "old rose" fragrance? To answer this question I'd have to ask a couple of questions first: how do you define "old rose fragrance"? There are a lot of Old Roses, and how a rose is defined as an Old Rose can vary, but frequently described as roses that were bred before 1900. These roses have quite a variety of fragrances, so in your mind, is "old rose" fragrance something like 'Cecile Brunner' which is described by some as "pepper and spice"? Or other Old Roses known for their fragrance, like 'Maiden's Blush' which can be described as "sparkling wine"; or 'Madame Isaac Pereire' which has a strong but sweet and well-rounded scent; or the heady scent of the alba rose Alba Semi-plena; or the musky wafting scent of 'Marie Pavie'? When I think of the term Old Rose scent, I think of all of them.

Also, are you looking for a modern rose that smells like what you have in mind? Otherwise, how about just growing an Old Rose?

Since you are self described as a newbie, I would suggest taking a walk around a public rose garden in bloom and smelling as many as you can to see what you think. Bring a little container of coffee beans so that you can clear your nose with it if you get fragrance fatigue. It will refresh your scent receptors. Also, to go off-topic a bit, I would suggest noticing the differences in the classes of roses as you go around the garden. A rose is much more than the flower, but also characteristics of the plant, and the class of a rose tells you not only what flowers might be like, but how it grows. Some plants may have gorgeous flowers but not many of them and be susceptible to disease. In your area, you might want to notice the difference between a Hybrid Tea and a Tea rose. I wish I had done this before I planted my roses, but on the other hand, I think I would have still chosen the same roses.

Once you decide what type of fragrance you like, I'm sure many of us will have additional recommendations. Have fun investigating. I'm eager to hear what you decide upon!

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nosometer, great questions.....sometimes in my mind something is so clear, but when I look back to what I posted, I can see how its not!

What I meant was, I'm looking for Roses , old or new, with the "rose " fragrance. Which is an absurd statement I guess as all the fragrances that Roses have are rose fragrance. In any case, I was referring to the rosewater type fragrance, if you bought a fragrance oil that said rose, the fragrance that you would expect. My mme ernest calvat seems to have this. Cant smell much from my

Cecile Brunner , I have other roses with different fragrances. I think autumn damask grows in India, and if that is the one that I recollect, I equate that with the typical rose fragrance.

I am in Houston and as far as I know, no rose gardens around. Herman park claims to have one, I have been there many times but have not seen the rose garden.

I have been reading up on the various classes of. roses, and the history! Its It's all fascinating, but mildly frustrating as I dont have much space. Most of my roses are from ARE, a handful from other sources.

This forum is a great resource!

Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, forgot to add, I have clothide Soupert and I find the fragrance amazing, but different from the typical rose fragrance I tried to describe. Not sure how this is classified, but would love to add others with similar fragrance as well. Mine unfortunately balled this yr, I got no open blooms.

• monarda_gw
    5 years ago

Mme Ernest (or Ernst) Calvat is a bourbon rose, if I am not mistaken, a sport of Mme Isaac Pereire, both said to be among the most fragrant of roses. And most of the bourbons are repeaters. What's not to love? One of them, Louise Odier, is a founding parent of the David Austin "English" roses. If you have space and the right conditions, you could explore this group.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Rekha, I understand you right from jumpstart but I never made any suggestions. I am still finding better scented roses. I know what you meant. I did ask this question before over a year ago. I am so drawn to scent first then bloom types that is flushes or nearly continuously then the last is colours.
    I Google yp many but have none yet Bec of my zone. So far it will be Kazanlik, Autumn Damask, Nahema, May which I can't find here that I read about in France and Channel no 5 used May rose.
    I have done rose water last month and I love it. Now I am trying to oil rose soon it will be jellies/ jams, soaps...cooking. You have no idea. Some of my roses has good strong scent but I too want to know which is the strongest.
    I used all the roses below and made rosewater. Fun experiment.
    So, I am also reading on your thread to see what is suggested.
    jin

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Glad you posted this Jin. Do you have any of the Roses you mention? I would love to find one Hardy to my zone even if it's a Once bloomer just to see and nyhima and adore her although she is still a slip with only a couple of blooms.

• monarda_gw
    5 years ago

Rose de mai is said to be rosa centifolia, no?

That's a big group with many available cultivars, but perhaps you meant this one: https://www.roses-anciennes-eve.com/arbustes/821-ROSIER-ROSE-DE-MAI-CONTENEUR.html  used in perfumery today, so they say, but sadly unavailable in the US. I wish the botanic garden could procure it. I'd like at least to smell it, myself.

5 years ago

No, Vap, I don't have above I mentioned. I was looking into what Nosemeter said about MIP. I did smell that and it is very strong. It took my Rosy friend about 5 years to have blooms. He finally did when he almost gave up. Huge blooms tho.
    I have to dog more information about some of the roses Bec if they need chill then it is useless for me to get them.
    Maggie is great and so is Mr. Lincoln but in my mind I wonder if there are any roses there that is meant for me and I don't know about or should I say my taste.
    I have Evelyn and many other scent ones. But which roses are the strongest scented that we can grow ?
    I totally understand Rekha's and it is not necessary to be old rose scent.
    I got maybe another 50-70 roses I can plant but I am being very choosy now. So, I am taking my sweet time looking around.
    Vap, I am going for a trip next month to 2 gardens.
    Country Care Roses
    McKee Garden
    Maybe I can find answers there. I hope and remember to bring coffee beans :)
    jin

5 years ago

That is a beautiful picture! Do you have Crimson Glory? This Rose has amazing fragrance especially in our humid climates.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Jin, thank you so much for your post!! That is exactly what I am looking for, fragrance, repeat peat bloom...color is the last criteria. I do love the old fashioned full blooms.

My problem is space..or the lack of space. I would love to have enough space to grow Roses just for fragrance, even if once blooming, but I have very little space, so looking for the biggest bang for the buck so to speak.

I have a corner that has a playset that is in bad shape, my little one keeps getting splinters every time he uses it, he is also outgrowing it, so that is all I have. One bed. With probably 10 ft on each of the sides and maybe 5 to 6' deep. Full sun. So I dream. And take notes. And maybe order some that live in containers, maybe to go in the bed, maybe to live in containers permanently.

My climate is similar to the Florida climate, its humid year round. And hot in summer. Roses are challenging. No one I know grows anything but knockouts. I do occasionally come across a house with some HT's that look nice, but that is not my cup of tea.

Its challenging, but all I have is a few sq ft, so I am on a quest!!

Jin, do keep me posted on what you find...

Monarda, I am exploring the bourbons, you are right, as far as I am concerned, they have everything beautiful full blooms, fragrance,repeat, ,have SDLM, and the fragrance is nice, but not strong.
    Love the bloom shape. ..its just hard to figure out which ones are more fragrant as I dont have space for too many.

I cant move!!

• monarda_gw
    5 years ago

I feel your pain, Rekha, and believe me, I am in the same situation. If I had more room and more sun I would have more Bourbons and once bloomers in a minute and many others beside.

5 years ago
    I am also in same boat. Too many beauties and too many roses in commerce. I have a small yard which I actually showed a few on threads but empty just grass growing.
    I hate to waste money and rather buy what works in my zone and no regrets. Patient is a virtue that I don't have and I can be very impatient. It is a huge challenge for me. Grrrrrr !!

jin
    5 years ago

Rekha, thanks for clarifying. When I lived in a house with a postage stamp garden I researched long and hard to decide on a single rose that had the characteristics that you are looking for. I only had room for a single bush. I eventually settled on Madame Isaac Pereire, and since you like Madame Ernest Calvat, as monarda says, you might like her also. I find the fragrance to be sweet and rosy, not fruity or citrusy or myrrh. MIP does get to be a big bush (or climber) though, and disease resistance is said to be poor in your climate! but if you can grow MEC, it should be fine. The book I have says that Kazanlik is what is used to produce essential oil in Bulgaria, Turkey, and Iran. Rose perfume, they say, is made from R. X centifolia. I think that Gertrude Jekyll has somewhat similar fragrance, Bishops Castle (previously mentioned) doesnt have quite as complex or mellow fragrance as MIP to my nose, like a Beaujolais Nouveau, instead of an aged Pinot Noir. Both delightful though.

Jin, I'd love to hear more about how you make rose oil! My friend just got a still for her birthday and plans in distilling varietal rose fragrances with it!

5 years ago

I only did rose water. After my skin change so silky and hydrated ...I just went and bought rose oil on Amazon. I drop all my skincare using it for 2 weeks day and night. $19 dollars on Amazon instead of $29 in Ulta. I am in love with rosehip oil which is stronger than rose petals. I just signed up on Trilogy website.
    The rose oil is the easiest to do but since you friend got the distilled equipment is done differently. I think there are videos out there but I am not sure. I saw a video in England how they do it using an oven. Australians loves rose oil also. From all the videos it is putting roses in a jar filling with oil ( unscented, oil that you like ) and putting it in pot of water than boil it slowly with a cap on then cooling it down. strain the oil into another jar and using it. Easier said than done but videos shows you better. Experiments I have to do in future :)
    I absolutely love roses more now and totally respect what it does for skin. I wish I would have discovered this long time ago.
    Good luck to your friend. Let us know how it goes :)
    jin

• monarda_gw
    5 years ago

I think we can learn from the Japanese that a single flower can be a whole garden, in some cases.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    5 years ago

Rekha, I am 2 hours from Houston in east Texas so our climates are much alike. Firstly, I would suggest you join the Houston Rose Society - its $12/year with a monthly email newsletter. There are many knowledgeable rosarians who would be delighted to help and give advice as they grow these roses in your area. Secondly, I am starting to add some of the older hybrid teas that have marvelous fragrance. A favorite is Fragrant Cloud. I just planted Comte de Chambourd, found at Lowe's in a body bag for $6.88. I also got in a body bag Tiffany, pale pink. Mr. Lincoln, Chrysler Imperial, Double Delight are very fragrant. If you can get to Tyler in the spring, visit their huge and beautiful rose garden. You can stroll for hours, smell the roses and decide what you like.

Judith

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • Ellen W.
    5 years ago

For a small yard I'd say Mr. Lincoln is a very good option - it will grow straight up, the flowers last nicely when cut and I've had bouquets of Mr. Lincoln scent a room. And I'd say most people like the way Mr. Lincoln smells. The one thing though is that Mr. Lincoln doesn't smell like rose-scented soap. I can't think of any hybrid teas that do- but I'm sadly unaware of all but the most common.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Ellen W.
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What does mr. Lincoln or Chrysler imperial or Oklahoma smell like? Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to smell these in person...and I'm the type that if I buy something, I will keep it even if I don't like it! Especially plants.

My mme ernest calvat smells awesome to me. So does clothide Soupert, even though its different. Jude the obscure smells good. I can smell the teas ...but they dont really appeal to me.

Tough trying to figure out what to try without being able to smell them in person.

5 years ago

Having a small space and stringent requirements actually helps you to narrow down your choices quite a bit. What do you want your space to look like? I agree that Mr. Lincoln has a fantastic and extremely strong fragrance, but I wouldn't describe it as rosewater. It is more sandalwood, dark and rich. If you are not too attached to the rosewater fragrance, it's worth looking into. People often describe it as "that's what a rose should smell like" (a very strange description to me, since I always wonder why a rose "should" smell like some preconceived notion, but that being said, I love the fragrance which for me is a heady experience). I think that Chrysler Imperial smells similar, and for me, Oklahoma doesn't have as strong a fragrance. Fragrance is so subjective, though. Mr. Lincoln is known for being tall and skinny (6-7 feet), with bare lower canes and large thorns. This may or may not be something you want to look at in your garden. I personally like that look, but it is not a relaxed, "covered in blooms" look that the shrub roses can have. Does MEC bloom often for you? Although the bourbons do repeat, they don't repeat as much as the modern roses. Because fragrance is so subjective, I still think that the best thing you can do is smell (and look at) roses in person. You may also find, like Jude the Obscure, that there is a fragrance that isn't rosewater, but is one you have got to have! You mentioned that you get roses from The Antique Rose Emporium. It is only a little more than an hour away from Houston, so this might be worth a trip as they do have display gardens.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Nosometer, I visited ARE last fall, its it's around a 2 hour drive to get to. Most roses were sold out, and were not in bloom late August. It will be very difficult to make the trip between work, kids and DH travels a lot. I was hoping to go this spring, but not sure if I can make it.

MEC has been with me only since last year. She was picked up by mistake from ARE. I had to move her to a large container as she was in the wrong spot. So far this year 3 to 4 blooms. But she was just transplanted, and with a few exceptions most of the roses are just starting to bloom.

My jude does not bloom much at all either.

I dont need something to be covered in blooms all the time, there are some that do bloom a lot like Belindas blush. I'd like to mix in the bloom machines with the blooms and fragrance to die for roses.

I think I have space for a dozen or so, maybe more if I get rid of some that I dont care for. I plan to be super picky!!

• Ellen W.
    5 years ago

I've been thinking about how to describe how Mr. Lincoln smells to me and the best I can do is if you've ever smelled a bunch of fresh red or pink apples but without the identifiably "apple" part of the smell.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    5 years ago

Marie Pavie... not a mannerly climber but it is a small bush that looks nice next to other roses... a climber in a pot... The fragrance is stronger than that of every rose I have managed to compare it to...

Others:

Grande Dame... should become tall in your zone but I am not familiar with its disease resistance. In full bloom, the fragrance can stop you in your tracks...

Bolero... short... nice strong fragrance

Bishop's Castle... will create a big bush

Madame Isaac Periere ... very fragrant... can be trained as a climber. Will send out 9'+ thick canes.

Comte de Chambord... I do not know how large it becomes???

Young Lycidas... crazy growth... maybe it could produce a plant suitable for your needs... beautiful fragrance...

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    5 years ago

Not "old rose", but mesmerizing nonetheless: Sugar Moon. I think it's about my favourite.

• hippiechick33 8B, TX
    5 years ago

If you are looking to make real rose oil, like in ancient times, you will need a rose that is a damask-scented rose. Ispahan comes to mind. You will sacrifice some things for the fragrance, but it will be worth it in product satisfaction.

If you are just looking to grow a rose that is highly fragrant, there are so very many to choose from. I do not grow hybrid teas, but if you like them and are looking for "that rose smell," ( I read that as florists roses) then Mr. Lincoln is the rose you are looking for, for fragrance. I was once sent two dozen roses in a bouquet, they were Mr. Lincolns. My whole house smelled of "roses" for a long, long, time, lol. It ruined all other florists roses for me, forever. They smelled so good.

The advise on antique roses that you got here was good advise, but no one can know what smells "right" to you. Go to a nursery, and smell around. I say that as if you dont know "roses," then the fragrance you are remembering/looking for must be from hybrid teas. However, if you want a great smelling container rose for a small space like you have and like the look of antique roses, go with the advise from above and grow Munstead Wood. Great repeat blossoms, highly fragrant, disease resistant for the humid areas, as well.

Best of luck in your search, and welcome to the world of fragrance.. umm.. I mean roses :)

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked hippiechick33 8B, TX
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Desert garden, have Marie Daly and Comte de Chambord on my list to order. Thank you for re affirming...I have mme ernst calvat, and I am in love with her fragrance. Will check out the others for my corner

Vapor, can you tell me what sugar moons fragrance is like? Most sources say citrus..

ETA: Hippychick, your post did not show up when I was responding. I will try to sniff Mr. Lincoln and Chrusler Imperial as they are mentioned often.

Original Author
    5 years ago

I did get a chance to stiff Mr. Lincoln and the fragrance is insane...I kept going back and smelling it like an addict!! I cant reconcile the modern look and the intoxicating fragrance, but just ordered it. DH likes the high centered modern Rose's and I can pretend I got it for him ...evil laugh...

Does Chrysler Imperial have the same fragrance? Oklahoma and Heirloom were also there, but the fragrance, although along the same lines, was not as powerful.

Marie Daly and Comte de Chambord are hopefully on their way as well..

5 years ago

I couldn't begin to describe Sugar Moon, but wouldn't call it citrus... it reminds me more of a luscious cake.Definitely sweet, but not classic rose. I also love the look of it especially when itopen as it has pretty red stamens. I'm very sad as I think mine may not have made it through the winter. ((

5 years ago

This is from an [old post,[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/nearly-lost-this-one-most-fragrant-votes-2005-06-dsvw-vd~1719150?n=7) which I found interesting and helpful. Houzz sometimes deletes old posts, so I will copy it here. Since this was from 2007, I wonder if this opinion pole were repeated today, how it would be different.

Posted by jpw_chi 5b Chicago, IL (My Page) on

Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 13:47

Due to hard drive crashes, I nearly lost this list. Thanks to a thoughtful, wise Gardenweb member who clipped the results, I would have lost voting results to my informal survey of fragrant roses altogether. Counts were based on frequency of being mentioned in response to the question "What is the most incredibly fragrant rose that takes your breath away?"

RE: the most incredibly FRAGRANT rose that takes your breath away (Follow-Up #122) 
posted by: jpw_chi on 10.08.2006 at 11:11 am in Roses Forum 
Here's the updated list for "most mentioned" (as opposed to true "favorites") for fragrance, with Double Delight and Mr. Lincoln now in a dead heat: 

23x Double Delight (creamy white swirled with strawberry red) 

23x Mr. Lincoln (dark red)

15x Fragrant Cloud (coral red) 

13x Chrysler Imperial (burgundy red) 

13x Gertrude Jekyll (rose pink) 

13x Jude the Obscure (honey) 

10x Crimson Glory 

10x Lemon Spice (pastel yellow tinted pale pink) 

9x Abraham Darby (Austin, apricot blend) 

9x Francis Dubruiel (dark true red) 

9x Papa Meilland (dark red) 

8x Evelyn (Austin, apricot pink blend) 

8x Heirloom (dark mauve blend) 
8x Rose de Rescht (vivid fuchsia) 

8x Secret (white tipped pink) 
8x Sharifa Asma (Austin, pearly pink) 

8x Sunsprite (bright yellow) 

8x Sweet Chariot (purple blend) 

8x Tiffany (pink/yellow blend) 

7x Angel Face (1968, dusky mauve) 

7x Melody Parfumee (deep plum fading to clear lavender) 

7x The McCartney Rose (ruffled, few petals) 

7x Yves Piaget (Romantica, hot pink)

6x Granada (yellow, orange, scarlet tricolor) 

6x Just Joey (clear apricot)

6x Mirandy 

6x Scentimental (white striped with red) 

6x Secret Garden Musk Climber 

6x Zephirine Drouhin (cerise pink)

5x Blanc Double de Coubert (pure white)

5x Frederic Mistral (Romantica, light cool pink) 

5x Heritage (shell pink) 

5x Intrigue (rich reddish purple) 

5x Madame Isaac Periere (raspberry pink) 

5x Memorial Day (lilac pink) 

5x Oklahoma (dark red) 

5x Reine des Violettes (cerise pink deepening to soft purple) 

5x Rouge Royale (Romantica, cherry red) 

5x Souvenir de la Malmaison 

5x Sutter's Gold 

5x Velvet Fragrance 

5x William Shakespeare 2000 

4x Alec's Red (1970, subdued red) 

4x Baronne Prevost (medium pink) 

4x Blue Girl a/k/a Blue Moon 

4x Elle 

4x Full Sail

4x New Zealand (flesh pink) 

4x Othello (inconsistent maroon/blue-red color) 

4x Tamora (Austin, clear apricot) 

4x The Prince (Austin, imperial purple) 

4x Tipsy Imperial Concubine (pink blend) 

4x Yolande D'Aragon (rich rose pink) 

3x Bella Roma 
3x Buff Beauty (soft apricot yellow)

3x Cécile Brunner 

3x Compt de Chambourd (lilac pink) 

3x Darlow's Enigma (pure white) 

3x Distant Drums (mauve blend) 

3x Falstaff (raspberry red) 

3x Fragrant Memory a/k/a Jadis 

3x Fragrant Plum 

3x Golden Zest 

3x Jardins de Bagatelle (creamy white edged pale pink) 

3x La Reine Victoria (dusty pink)

3x Louise Odier (medium pink) 

3x Madame Hardy (snowy white) 

3x Perfume Delight 

3x Radiance (pink blend) 

3x Red Radiance (HT)

3x Royal Highness 

3x Scentsational (clear mauve tinted orchid pink) 

3x Sheer Bliss 

3x Silver Shadows (pale silvery lavender) 

3x Sombreuil (creamy white) 

3x Sonia Rkyiel (soft coral pink) 

3x Veteran's Honor 

2x Apothecary Rose 

2x Barbara Streisand 

2x Belle de Crecy (cool medium pink) 

2x Blossomtime 

2x Bubble Bath (light pink) 

2x Celsiana (light pink) 

2x Clothilde Soupert (blush white with soft pink center) 

2x Compassion (salmon pink) 

2x Dainty Bess 

2x Dolly Parton (garish orange red) 

2x Dublin (MD) 
2x Earth Song (rose pink) 

2x Eglantyne (Austin, clear porcelain pink) 

2x Eugene de Beauharnais (crimson purple) 

2x Felicia

2x Felicite Parmentier (light pink) 

2x Fisherman's Friend (violent magenta) 

2x Fragrant Hour

2x Halloween (soft orange) 

2x Harrison's Yellow (bright yellow) 

2x Hot Tamale 

2x Jaune Desprez (buff apricot) 

2x Julia's Rose 

2x Konigan von Danemark (pink blend) 

2x Lady Hillingdon (egg yolk yellow) 

2x Lagerfeld (silvery lavender) 

2x Love Potion (florabunda)

2x Lyda Rose 

2x Madame Alfred Carrier (blush white) 

2x Madame Pierre Oger (soft white tipped lilac pink) 

2x Maria Shriver 

x Marie Pavie (ivory white) 

2x Midnight Blue 

2x Mrs B.R. Cant 

2x Neptune 

2x Peace 

2x Petite de Hollande (medium pink) 

2x Pure Perfume 

2x Radiant Perfume

2x Rosa foetida 

2x Sheila's Perfume 

2x Shocking Blue 

2x Sophy's Perpetual (pink blend) 

2x St. Swithun (Austin, soft warm pink blend) 

2x Star Of The Nile 

2x Sterling Silver

2x Sunday Lemonade 

2x Thanksgiving 

2x Topaz Jewel (yellow)