SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carmen_pangelinan

gathering thoughts for master bath plans

I obviously need storage and a double vanity in this master bath.
Towers? One or two?

Lowered vanity place for nail and make up?

I plan on deleting or making the windows smaller so the vanity can go all the way across.

We will take down that shower and place a new glass one...but should their be a pony wall?

Will the slopes ceiling make certain designs look wrong?

I will post pics of what I like...but I like so much.

Comments (68)

• User
    5 years ago

The giant shower, by itself, will consume half that budget.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @green designs I am not a contractor at all. I am a home owner, children’s entertainer. My thoughts are settled. I met with the designer.
    There isn’t room for towers and a drop down manicure area, so I chose the towers.

Designer said a job with the fancy details is more closer to 35,000 with the marble flooring, sconces, fixtures, removing the window and making the other smaller, electrical, etc
  • Related Discussions

Honest thoughts on cultured marble in a master bath reno??

Q

Comments (22)
    Wow! Thank you all for responding. You gave me a lot to think about :) awm03- your vanity is beautiful!!! I love that! beverly- is that your bathroom? Gorgeous!! I also am not fond of the ogee edge, gsciencechick. Yours looks great! lol- I still don't know what to do! Looks like I need to price it all out. Another reason I like integrated sinks is bc honestly, that's one less thing to buy, or 2 in my case bc we have a duel vanity. So not only is sold surface more $$$$ but I would need to add on an extra ~$400 for undermount sinks.
    ...See More

Master Bath Reno Planning

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for the response. We have no issues with privacy, none of the neighbors can see into our backyard/windows so a bigger window should be totally fine. I do like the idea of adding the door to the bathroom between the shower and vanity vs entering the entire bathroom from the bedroom (via barn door currently). I haven't decided on a door for the shower, but potentially a glass door. Thinking ahead, since we have a toddler that roams the house and another some day in future, is a door swinging towards a glass shower door an ok idea?? We will definitely remove the soffit so we can have the mirror higher. At 6'6'' my poor husband can't even look in the mirror without squatting down right now. There are two can lights in the soffit and two bar lights above the mirror currently. I'd like to keep some recessed lighting in the bathroom and add one in the shower. I like the idea of the scones as well. The sinks are just at 4'' from each wall leaving a huge space in the middle for collecting junk. I think moving them closer would look better. Yes, we plan on converting the tub/shower combo to a shower only. We have other tubs in the house. Any advice on a linear drain? I like the idea of them, but have only just started to research.
    ...See More

Master Bath layout planning (Stable Flats)

Q

Comments (10)
    I like your vanity on the window wall too. The closet in the layout below has a different shape but it gives you the same amount of hanging space (10 ft). I have a friend who has a similar closet but 6'6" wide instead of 7'. It works. She has 2 sliding pocket doors on each side of her closet to close it if she wants to. If you were to do something like that, I would recommend that you make your wall thicker to be able to mount a towel bar on the left side without interfering with the pocket door. I suggests that the linen cabinet is accessed on the shorter side (opposite to the vanity). The reason is that the side of the linen gives you a place to mount a towel bar.
    ...See More

Master closet/bathroom plan thoughts

Q

Comments (21)
    That was actually in round 1 of design but it felt too chopped up. Plus my husband wants to be able to sprint from the shower to the closet without being in front of a full-length window. But I love the frosted glass idea. I was actually looking at reeded glass this morning. It feels more current to me than frosted. And yes on moving the linen closet. I think that toilet room is larger than it needs to be. Thanks for your thoughts. Has anyone ever built or remodeled and not wanted to change a thing about their choices? It feels so permanent.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

I see you have shown 2 drains in the shower area? It seems like the shower is so large - can you rethink it so you can have your makeup area? Are the windows operational? You can carry a counter across ?

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    So it sounds/looks like the reason you are doing this renovation is to get an additional sink, a make up area and towers in addition to changing to your preferred design style. Based on the layout you have you would have to relocate the drain to the shower in addition to the window modifications. As others have pointed out, these are 2 budget busters based on your $25k. You don’t want to squash the sink space between towers and walls so each sink area should be ideally 3’ wide each (2 sink, 2 tower, 1 make up area = 11 foot run MINIMUM). My advice would be to look at large Robern or Kohler recessed medicine cabinets - you get tons of storage without the expense or look of bulky towers. Towers and a sloped ceiling also don’t mix well visually. Good advice to start getting contractors out to budget. I’d recommend looking at a layout that has the makeup counter on the far right by all that great natural light with those existing windows and recessed medicine cabinets. Good luck!
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @debbie. The shower is HUGE! I don’t need all that space. I don’t think I can have a tower and a makeup vanity. And I am so used to having my makeup above my waist, I am not sure how I can change. (Right now my make up/ nails/ hair stuff) is in my daughter’s and sons jack and hulk bathroom.
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Giggling over the jack and hulk bathroom :) I love spell check.
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    It’s worth talking to a designer near you. I could see the make up area being custom designed on the right as a panel table so you don’t have to redo the windows.
    Sag Harbor, NY · More Info
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @thinkdesignlive! Thank Q I just learned about recessed medicine cabinet so I will definitely take a look!!!
  • User
    5 years ago

That is a single A ballpark you were given, not a triple A with marble. It certainly is not a major league ball park. I have done cultured marble master baths that cost that much, but not good quality marble. Marble costs more to buy, and is more in labor to set. Thats the first thing to get rid of when you are on a limited budget.

Once the actual specifics get nailed down, if they don't include all of the above list, start adding the thousands to that price. I'd add 10K to that 35K, right now, just because you want all of that rearranging, and they are lowballing you up front, as sales people do so that you will fall in love with individual items and not realize the grand total until it's all added up. Then they'll offer you financing for that extra 20K above your planned budget. Only they'll call it an "investment amount per month" and avoid giving you that grand total.

Find out what waterproofing system stem is being used. If there is a long pause, or they say a vinyl liner, you're dealing with people who can not give you the bath that you want. There are hundreds of posts on here where the waterproofing is done incorrectly. Don't be one of them. Do your research. Don't assume that they will do it correctly, even if they name a good brand. Odds aren't good for that.

Cultured marble is a good budget product for shower walls and for vanity tops. It's much less fussy than natural stone. There are a lot of marble looks in it. A lower priced cabinet line like Waypoint can give you 80% of what you want. Not those curved glass doors though. Those are only found on more expensive cabinet lines. Choose chrome for your fixture finishes. It's thousands cheaper when you are doing a whole bath. Skip the rain heads and body spray, but go put in a hand shower on a bar. A good contrasting porcelain in wood look or medium to dark gray for the bath floor, and a mosaic for the shower floor, will set off the marble pattern. Go for the comfort height elongated toilet.

The simpler and more classic in the finishes that you can keep it, the more longevity it will have. And the less expensive it will be.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

I would also suggest looking into porcelain tiles and maybe a shower base instead of tiling a base - these can be great cost savings and still give you a beautiful bath.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

Assuming the dimensions are close - I threw together a quick bathroom look... This estimates about 75" from the closet wall to the left side of the window. This also assumes tearing out the entire shower benches and all and doing a new 60 x 42 shower...I did not do a double sink - it looked to crowded if you want a tower or 2....

Hopefully this can get your thoughts going!

Good luck to you!

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    That looks good Debbi! It would be interesting to show her what it looks like without the towers. I think the room gets rather closed in with them - do you agree?
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Debbie I absolutely love your design, but I need the double sink. I move my husband out of the way all the time to use it and the mirror. He would have a recessed mirror on the left (his sink) and a tower in the middle, then my sink. ...
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @debbie, how do you do that? I want to learn how to play around with layout cabinet designs
  • Karenseb
    5 years ago

If you do a shower 60 inches long by 36 inches deep, you should be able to fit a 12 inch deep tall cabinet next to the shower. Maybe 18 inches wide.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    I would never have a closet entry inside the bathroom... moisture can get in there when you open the door after a bath or shower. Moisture and clothes don’t mix. You need a super duper heavy duty exhaust fan which sucks all the moisture and aromas to outside the house thru a wall or roof.
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Here's a good article about medicine cabinets - I do think you'll want the recessed for the style you are going for:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/medicine-cabinets-should-you-get-a-recessed-or-wall-mounted-style-stsetivw-vs~33521749
    As for additional storage consider a 12-15" deep cabinet only 36" tall which would be to the right of the door as you walk in and backing up the 36" width of a pony wall to the shower. If you try to put a cabinet in the corner by the window you will loose elbow room for a gracious make up area. You have room to loose this depth with a shower as wide as you currently have. The top of this pony wall cabinet would be a good spot for a potted plant or pretty jars of supplies so the surface could be detailed in the same counter material you choose.
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    And Carmen you really do not have room for a tower if you want double sinks....just map it out and see. The counter space and elbow room by each sink will be minuscule and the tower itself will be very narrow and not at all like your inspiration pics in terms of generosity in width.
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @think design live. I want to give up a lot of that shower space that I currently have I do not like it that large it is a waste of space. I want to close that window that is on the wall that the vanity would be on so that I could go all the way across with a vanity.

Those that don’t have towers. Where do you put your make up? Below your waist?
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Everyone I am NOT keeping the shower as is.
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Yes we understand. You are being shown a design that can work with the windows as is and incorporate a make up area. Tower(s) that won’t fit, window rework, plumbing rework for new glass shower, all add significantly to your $25k budget. Troubleshooting anymore at this stage doesn’t make sense until you talk to your GC(s) - but your GC can not price it unless you have put some thought into it - which is why you are here so kuddos for that. Pros have weighed in to make suggestions - take aways for you should be no tower, recessed medicine cabinets, existing windows. See where you are at $$ and you can always add scope. Post back when you have a clear understanding of what scope you can afford. Good luck.
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Okay ,, my local designer said if I remove the window, add plumbing and electrical and the top quality stuff I like, that it would be $35,000...and I am okay with that too.
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am using the same Kitchen and Bath Designer that I used with my kitchen to plan my Master Bath. Like you, I have a low window with a monster ugly green "marble" tub in front of it with a single vanity with more ugly green fake marble. I wanted a bigger shower, more storage, and a double vanity, Maybe no tub, or maybe a claw foot tub. That's where I started.

Unfortunately, I am on a slab, and to move plumbing costs a lot. I didn't realize how much! My designer warned me, and I don't know why I didn't believe her. I had probably been watching too many makeover shows! LOL! My first quote was almost 60K.

We are dialing back now, and are probably going to keep the plumbing positions and windows. Finding matching brick and all of the work to replace the windows just wasn't worth it. Cutting into the slab to move plumbing wasn't worth it either. Not for a not expensive priced house.

What is is worth spending money on to me is getting a curbless shower, and making the vanity have more storage, even if I don't get a second sink. I think we decided to just not put in a tub at all, and do a free standing furniture makeup vanity there. I will pick up something with character from a local antique store. The window is stained glass, so it won't block the view. I like oak vintage pieces, and it will be lots cheaper. I might even do that for the vanity, but I don't think I'll get as much storage as I want.

There are still a lot more decisions ahead, but I'm not going to go into debt just to get a magazine bathroom. I don't live in a magazine or need to "update" every 10 years when all of that white marble is "out". This is the only time I will do this. I want to be carried out of this house.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

What does the GC say about that 35K estimate? As for your makeup being stored in drawers below your waist, it's just a matter of habit. You can get used it and it makes sense if you're seated at a vanity. You can get pretty containers for your countertops. Perhaps you've already done this but paring down your makeup to daily essentials and storing the rest elsewhere makes sense. Only you can determine if makeup storage is worth 10K.

• User
    5 years ago

Your salesperson is lowballing you. Significantly. The labor likely is not included in that number. Only the materials that she would sell you. The 2019 industry numbers were just released. They do not come close to aligning with that guesstimate.

https://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2019/

The software that Debbi is using costs 3K, and needs a super gaming type computer to run it. Another 2-3K. Plus annual maintenance fees. And 12 months of practice to get really good at it. Plus the cooperation of manufacturers to make available their products to insert. Which is why you work with a Pro that already owns it, and who has the experience to help you with your decisions and their consequences.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I hope you all like my drawing so I have the original and I have heard everyone tell me how expensive removing the window will be so I could take that out of the equation I also hear you all saying get rid of the ideas of towers and if I do that I will have one long vanity including a make up area keeping the original window on the right and re-modifying the one on the main wall.
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Why do you want to make a window smaller? I would avoid any structural changes to keep my costs as low as possible.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    This is not too scale but shows the pony wall / linen cabinet idea. Agree w above comment - you don’t need to rework the windows at all. A good designer/cabinet maker will know to detail the counter and build the window surround to accommodate that detail.
  • AJCN
    5 years ago

I'm late to this thread, but I wanted to chime in that whether you do a tower or medicine cabinets I recommend that you install electrical inside so that you can charge your toothbrushes in there. It helps to keep the counters less cluttered.

We also enter the master closet by going through the bathroom. I can understand why some people might not like that, but it works for us. We use the exhaust fan so no moisture problems. We get ready for work at different times, so having the closet positioned a bit away from the bedroom helps to not wake up the person still sleeping when one is getting dressed. In fact, I just realized that all my siblings and my parents have the same arrangement. Maybe it's just common in our area.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @thinkalive thank you! I imagined the shower door being immediately on the right.

I would would love to hear what my contractor says the cost difference would be between a lowered make up vanity versus running it all the way across and covering up that window for a larger countertop and tower.

As far as the electric toothbrush, I’m old-school manual.
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @ssdarb. Yes we like our closet where it is.
    The designer that gave me a free consult just suggested that I better utilize the space, with a closet organizer.
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

I would like to confirm a dimension.... the 113" from the closet - is that to the left of the window? or to the wall? It makes a big difference in what everyone is suggesting... the picture I did had it as the whole wall INCLUDING the window. That leaves a 75" wall space for the vanity. A typical double vanity is 60" ( 24sinkbase - 12" drawers - 24 " sink base) . When you go wider, you typically add some dimension to the sin base ( so the person next to the wall ha a bit more elbow room) and the rest into the drawer base. So in the case of 75" space I would suggest 27 - 21 - 27 if you want to put a center tower 15" wide ( I probably would not do a full 12" deep tower - maybe 9" or less ).

You mention closing up the window - what is the outside of the house- siding stucco?? how easy is it to patch that?

Personally - I would run the counter right across the window - keeping the natural light and hang a mirror "on it"

As far as the cost of this renovation, it's hard to say - it will vary by where in the country you live and by the materials you purchase. You can make this a beautiful bathroom without having to by expensive marble or cabinetry. The countertop can be a remnant from your local stone yard. Delta makes really nice faucets that won't break the bank. Be sure to explore what's out there. Buy the best you can that fits your budget and don't let people shame you into spending more than you can. DO your research so you are making informed decisions.

Your designer should be using a program like mine ( 2020 design ) if she/he does kitchens and baths.

Good luck!

• Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    113 from start of vanity wall, to the corner of the wall not to the start of the window, but the end.
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

Yes so you would have to close the window to fit the drawing you had made with 3 sets of drawer bases and 2 sinks - that would require about 84" of space assuming a 12-24-12-24-12 cabinets size. That would leave you about 28" of space for a makeup area at the end

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    And to clarify yet again- you will not need to close up the window at all if you omit any idea of a tower and do the make up counter at 30” high. That’s why I asked Debbi if she didn’t mind showing you that option in her 3D since I think it is your very best solution.
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @think Alive
    The window is Lower than 30 from the floor
    The small cabinet is 30 In
  • thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    That’s totally fine. They are non operable windows - yes? The make up section can be detailed like a panel table (see picture I posted up further in the thread or Debbi’s perspective design). This is doable and way more economical than closing up or modifying those windows. The only window modification that makes sense to me is putting in an operable one on the right for fresh air.
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes they are non operating
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

I think this is the view you wanted...

This is a simple table that you would stand in front of the window area. It's not built in. The style of the piece is covering the window trim, but you can see the window on the side. Think of it like a desk in front of the window..

• Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @debbi Washburn the main things that we want/ need moral of all is a double sink, and as much storage as possible.
  • User
    5 years ago

You don't have room for a double sink without going well outside your budget. And you are already over budget as is. Also, code requires a 15" center to any side obstruction, and 30" minimum between centers.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Then omit the make up table and do storage drawers below a bench. You only have so many inches to work with and a set budget. I’m signing off this one.
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes I am pretty sure I’m going to omit the make up table I normally do my make up standing anyhow. As far as going over budget I really don’t see how that’s possible I am talking to another mom who is doing everything I’m doing including blowing out a wall and making it bigger, and she is only paying 21,000 and she even has a tub, and very expensive handles and fixtures.
  • Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is more along the lines I was thinking of.
    Plus we would have 28 inches to spare, that can be turned into 13 in drawers on each side.
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

The above piece is assuming you are closing the window?? Does that piece come with additional drawer bases? A setup like that done through a cabinet manufacturer would probably run about $8000 or more for the cabinets roughly. You may also be able to do a tall 12" deep piece next to the other window between it and the shower glass... although that is really where there should be towel bars. Or someone else had suggested a pony wall at the end of the shower and a lower cabinet there when you come in the door it would be immediately on your right.

• Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @debbie? We don’t use a towel bar now, we have the over the door (closet door) towel rack thing. I always thought towel bars are just for decoration.

As far as the shower entrance. I decided to make a three wall glass shower, or a curved sliding one. That way the shower door doesn’t kiss the bathroom door or intrude on my sink area (my sink will be the one on the window side.
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

Here is the floor plan I have in the computer for your space... if these dimensions are correct then you can't do a neoangle shower like what you posted...no enough room to do a nice sized one.

Are you working with someone who has a design program? They really should be doing all of this for you to see...

• Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Debbie I am going to close that window I’m going to run the vanity all the way across I rather have storage then a sit down make up session. I met with a contractor and he’s going to close that window and he still keeping everything within our range. I thought I had a designer but I’m not sure if she’s going to do an example of what you did for me because she said that she doesn’t normally like to travel to Paso Robles. So I’m trying to work on that right now.
  • pattyl11
    5 years ago

You could use Debbie's computer generated plan, but instead of the single sink and the two towers, use double sinks with two recessed medicine cabinets for storage. Leave the windows as is and have a built in bench with drawers placed under the windows. It's good to have a place to sit for dressing and grooming feet and legs. IMO the towers close in the room.

https://www.robern.com/products/medicine-cabinets/

• Carmen Pangelinan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you Pamal.
    I won’t be getting two towers, just one.
    I have a seating area now, that just collects a bunch of dust, lotion bottles, etc. I wasn’t to use all my space, so I not willing to keep the window on the vanity wall, and the other window will be made smaller (starting at a highly point and not so close to the corner)
    I am drawing up a plan.

Also, I will have large marble flooring (very small grout)