SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorine_gurney

Please need help on kitchen floorplan

5 years ago

FIrst time posting here.

We are doing a major remodel of our kitchen and creating a new dining room and home office.

Both my husband and I cook, sometimes simultaneously, so we wanted to have a rangetop and oven arrangement that would reduce getting in each other’s way. We’d also like to have two sinks to likewise avoid conflicts.

We decided to close the opening between the dining room and the kitchen in order to get more prep space. Note that the wall next to the plant (across from the two staircases) is needed to support the vaulted ceiling.

We came with two floorplans (A) and (B). (A) assumes it is feasible to move the toilet of the half-bath.

We would like for you to review these floorplans in general, and also answer these 3 specific questions:

1. Q1: We have some opened space in the dining room we are not sure what to do with.
  2. Q2: We are not so sure what to do with the narrow space to the right of the fridge.
  3. Q3: The fridge is 70” tall so we can accomodate a wall cabinet on top of the fridge, however should the rest of the wall cabinet on that prep area wall be at that same height? Both my husband and I are relatively tall (6’ and 5’ 7”). Ceiling is 9’ high.

Please note that pictures below are intentionally rough; details of the cabinetry (doors vs. drawers, hinges placement etc..) nor materials are featured.

In floorplan (A) below, we moved the toilet as much as (we think) possible and ended up with a space of 30” wide by 45” deep in the dining room.

FIrst time posting here.

We are doing a major remodel of our kitchen and creating a new dining room and home office.

Both my husband and I cook, sometimes simultaneously, so we wanted to have a rangetop and oven arrangement that would reduce getting in each other’s way. We’d also like to have two sinks to likewise avoid conflicts.

We decided to close the opening between the dining room and the kitchen in order to get more prep space. Note that the wall next to the plant (across from the two staircases) is needed to support the vaulted ceiling.

We came with two floorplans (A) and (B). (A) assumes it is feasible to move the toilet of the half-bath.

We would like for you to review these floorplans in general, and also answer these 3 specific questions:

1. Q1: We have some opened space in the dining room we are not sure what to do with.
  2. Q2: We are not so sure what to do with the narrow space to the right of the fridge.
  3. Q3: The fridge is only 70” tall so we can accomodate a wall cabinet on top of the fridge, however should the rest of the wall cabinet on that prep area wall be at that same height? Both my husband and I are relatively tall (6’ and 5’ 7”). Ceiling is 9’ high.

Please note that pictures below are intentionally rough, details of the cabinetry (doors vs. drawers, hinges placement etc..) nor materials are featured.

In floorplan (A) below, we moved the toilet as much as (we think) possible and ended up with a space of 30” wide by 45” deep in the dining room.

Q1A: We think this space is too small and not very well centered in the dining room to actually fill with a built-in (small butler pantry), so we are thinking we would need to turn it into a closet. Any other suggestions?

Q2A: For the space to the right of the fridge, we have 2 different ideas: either leave the space for a 15” counter loading/unloading the fridge or move the fridge to the right to increase the prep area on the left side of the fridge. We would still need to leave some space between the fridge and the wall. Any thoughts?

Q3A: What should the profile of the wall cabinets look like on the prep side in terms of heights and depths?

In floorplan (B) below, we left the toilet where it is today. This pushes the entryway of the mudroom and reduces the amount of prep counter space. We reduced the mudroom size as much as possible so the space in the dining room gets larger (4’ 8” wide), so it seems we could accommodate a butler’s pantry in this floorplan.

Q1B: Should we create a butler’s pantry in the dining room? How would that look? Or should we increase the length of the mudroom? Or use the space some other way?

Q2B: There is only a narrow 7 ¾” space to the right of the fridge, what kind of storage can we do there? Perhaps a tall, narrow open-shelf for storing large trays? (see picture below)

Q3B: What should the profile of the wall cabinet look like on the prep side?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments

Comments (13)