SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ifoco

Need Help with Floor Plan Please

ifoco
5 years ago

We bought a house last year much of it not to our liking. It is too big the rooms are odd shapes the kitchen and bathroom don’t work for us at all. We have deduced that we will definitely make over the kitchen and the master bath. At this point in our lives we just don’t feel up to gutting the entire house. Have done too much building and remodeling but want to feel comfortable in at least the kitchen and master bath. Most likely this is our last hurrah.

I have been living here alone since Nov and definitely have a feel for the house and what I like and what I want to change. My problem is the houses are constructed in a nonstandard way. There are no attics; all roofs are flat with rubber membrane and parapets. The houses are built to look like adobe and have modules attached to each other, most of the modules are not square or rectangular. There are no visible downspouts they are built into the walls. There is a lot of wasted space from my opinion. When we get ready to actually start, I will have a local architect who knows exactly how things are done around here. Is that ceiling chase for AC, plumbing wiring or what? I don’t know but he will.

I’m hoping someone can see beyond my vision or lack of vision how to build a floor plan for my style of kitchen and cooking. The existing kitchen floor plan is large, the dining room huge and the adjacent living room bigger yet. I would like to incorporate a round kitchen table somewhere in this scheme and open to suggestions of moving the kitchen to another place. I’ve thought of putting it where the dining room is but there are three windows and the other side large doors and another door out to the pool. The house is full of windows and doors. There is very little wall space anywhere. I have always had a galley type kitchen, or a galley kitchen with a walkway at the end then a wall of cabinets, appliances etc.

I like 60” walkways.

I don’t like “helpers” so don’t want seating to encourage chit chat or help.

I don’t like sinks with windows above even though most people do,

I absolutely hate islands despite their popularity I find them totally inefficient. Presently, I spend a lot of time walking around this island, round and round!

I will have a 42” subzero side by side, a subzero under counter wine cooler, a Ge Advantium, probably Blue Star Range top with most likely 6 burners and a griddle. I also will have a French Door Wall oven. The water is exceedingly hard. The entire house is treated with a water softener. For drinking water there is an under the sink RO system which I think also goes to the ice maker.

There’s a lot of fun activity out of the existing kitchen window where I’ve wasted a lot of time watching the various critters go about their daily life. To put our round table there would be nice but the window is too high to see out. I’ve thought of a banquette built up but Nixed that as I don’t want steps or sit on a banquet and it wouldn’t utilize the table that we love.

I’m not looking for an entire kitchen design just help in getting over a mental block of how to make this kitchen work. Thanks.

I’ve tried to take pictures of the existing kitchen and have failed miserably trying to transfer them from my phone and my camera so floor plan is it for right now. Sorry.

Inga

I must be an idiot. I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to upload a floor plan from my PC.

I click the Photo, it takes me to my PC and I click on the file and zip. Nothing happens. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong> Is it me or is it the new Houzz. I've posted photos before on garden web without any problem. Obviously my long explanation above is worthless without the fl00rplan. Thanks

Inga

Comments (7)