SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ribbytine

Need help and input on kitchen floorplan/remodel

Liz
6 years ago

Hi, all - longtime reader/lurker here looking for help with a house renovation.

We're getting started with a house remodel and I need some help and input on the kitchen. We're planning on opening up the kitchen to the living room and dining room. This is what our current living area and kitchen looks like. You can see the walls to be removed. Note that the wall directly above the "landing" isn't being removed, but cut down to a half wall so that the dining room will partially open to the back landing.

We're planning on closing the current doorway from the kitchen directly to the bathrooms, and cutting back the wall that juts into our entryway.

This is what our designer has come up with so far...

My feelings is that there is room for the island to shift "up" into the living room. Also I'm concerned about the lack of counter space around the cook top so I think the pantry should be narrowed to 24" to gain 6" of counter space between the ovens and the cook top.

The area between my sink and stove as it exists now is always cluttered and hard to use a prep space because it's always cluttered with dirty dishes and people try to come get a drink or a plate from the cabinets above me. I'd really like an island with a prep sink so that I'd have a dedicated space away form the main sink and dishwasher.

Please provide me with any and all feedback on the kitchen that you think I need to think about. Many thanks!

Comments (22)