SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Chinese Dinner on Sunday

John Liu
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My aunt is visiting the US from Taiwan, and I've volunteered to host dinner on Sunday. We'll be about 12, including my sister's family from Portland, my little cousin from San Francisco, aunt, uncle, and a couple others. I was talked into making a Chinese meal, which I do with some trepidation given that auntie is used to some of the best Chinese food on earth, but its the thought that counts, right?

I may not be able to talk DD into making the two hour drive from college to assist, so I'll probably be single-handed and I have hardly cooked since the holidays. So I'm not looking to do too much here; think simple and reliable home cooking rather than anything adventurous. Aunt is trying to eat very healthy due to some medical issues, and one attendee is gluten-free.

Initial thinking:

- Pork and shrimp shao mai - basic and easy, a make-ahead-then-steam dish

- Lo mai gai - which is sweet rice balls steamed in lotus leaf, also simple and can be made ahead

- Hot and sour soup or suan la tang - this is an old school dish, but I really like it when there's not too much corn starch. Made proper restaurant-style, it involves a lot of ingredients and cutting, but even so it is a make-ahead dish like most soups. It will be soup weather this weekend.

- Steamed whole fish with leeks and mushroom - also easy, now that you all taught me how

- Beef short rib - I have a process which involves slow cooking, refrigerating overnight, then deep frying and finally stir frying in sauce, it is time consuming but tasty, the idea is to get soft interior and crusty, crisp exterior

- Braised sea cucumber - this is a dish from my childhood that I've trying to learn

- Fragrant rice - this is your basic steamed rice, cooked with aromatic herbs

- Lychee ice cream - time to break out Ice Cream Boy [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/simac-il-gelataio-800-the-ice-cream-boy-dsvw-vd~2254923[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/simac-il-gelataio-800-the-ice-cream-boy-dsvw-vd~2254923)

What else? Some greens I guess. If DD comes home, I will have more hands.

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County