SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
need2seegreen

Rose trees/standards, pruning, alfalfa, etc questions.

I am not expert on roses and I have some questions about pruning some tree standards. I already read this thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/challenge-with-prunning-standard-roses-dsvw-vd~3007406?n=3

The rose trees in question are not doing very well, they have only a few canes. And one of them may even be going dormant (or is in real trouble). They are in containers and iirc, I put them in some type of special rose potting soil which I probably got at an Armstrong. When I feed, I give them Foliage Pro. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, the hot weather wasn’t that bad this year. (I flushed them out pretty well last time I fed, so I hope - but am not certain - that it isn’t a drainage issue.)

I was going to ask a bunch of questions having to do with the timing of pruning, alfalfa, and whether that helps encourage basal breaks, and whether being a rose tree makes a difference.

However, now I think I should worry more about just keeping them alive? (I have pictures but I don’t have them with me right now to post ... plus, I need to get rid of the dead growth first bc there is a lot of it and the poor things look like scarecrows.)

I think I won’t try to do any heroic pruning a) bc I’m not qualified and b) bc basal breaks happen when the rose is happy, right? And right now, mine just aren’t.

However, with luck, I will get them happy and have the same questions next year, so ... does it matter if a rose is in tree form, vis-a-vis pruning, alfalfa, and basal breaks? I am not even sure that alfalfa is a good idea in containers, come to think of it. Well, if anyone has comments, I will be pleased to know.

Thanks.

Comments (8)