SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Hard pruning, compost, alfalfa, and manure

strawchicago z5
11 years ago

I didn't visit Cantigny rose park until today. I was shocked at how tall their roses get. LAST YEAR they were cute babies, loaded with blooms from 2011 Chicago blizzard and winter-die-back. THIS YEAR we had the warmest winter in over a decade, no die back, resulting in "Carefree Sunshine" triple in size, Jude the Obscure at 7' tall (it was 2' last fall), and all Austins are taller than me.

My 2 Knock-outs were so huge this year that I had to killed them. Now I can see how roses look like in a warm zone with no yearly die-back to the crown. In 20 years I have never seen the rose park looking that bad, roses so tall, and so little bloom after a record-heat year.

The best looking bush is Gene Boerner floribunda with the most bloom, almost thornless, slender and compact. The second best is compact "Singin' in the Rain", more blooms than leaves, and the color is stunning with cool & wet weather. The minis are wiped-out by recent rain. Carefree Celebration went from cutie-pie last year to elephant-size 4' x 4' - too massive for a private garden.

I came home and saw my Marie-Pavie looks like a beauty queen compared to the massive sparse bushes at the park. I look at my Firefighter with 20+ buds/bloom and Sweet Promise loaded and realize that my baby roses have it good with alfalfa meal and horse manure. The leaf-compost in my no-water-zone also made landscape roses loaded.

Hard-pruning, or winter-kill really make a big difference in vigor, health, and beauty. Sadly I didn't see any beauty to capture at the rose park, so I came home and took picture of my "Lynnie" and "Firefighter" instead. Below is Kim Rupert's Lynnie, almost thornless, humming birds and bees like this one:

Comments (34)