SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
west9491

cutting back, pruning, etc.

16 years ago

Hi i had some questions about pruning and cutting back. I know that they CAN be beneficial and that only select species can be cut back and pruned. By the way, if you can't tell i am a new gardener. I would like to tell you some things i am growing and would like to know if they should be pruned, cut, ded headed, or left alone....and if so...when in the year?

I only know that ornamental grasses such as my maiden grass should be cut back in early spring, so if that tells you what a newb I am. Anyways heres my stuff.

Crepe Myrtle, Appalachain Dogwood, Japanese Maple (bloodgood variety), Hydrangea (both macrophylla and paniculatas [limelight]species), Golden rain tree, rose of sharon (bleeding heart variety, sweetbay magnolia, and barberry.

one more question, i made a once made and started a compost bin, I recently surrounded it with straw, which will probably wind up in there as well once it warms up, do you think that this is a good idea to keep cookin during the winter? (sux cuz right now, my compost is frozen!

thanks

Comments (2)