SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky22546

Range hood for a builder grade range?

Becky
5 years ago

I've read tons of discussions regarding hoods for high end ranges & cooktops, but haven't found much on what is needed for lower end ranges. I purchased a Kitchenaid 30−inch 4−element Induction Slide−in Convection Range With Baking Drawer Model #: KSIB900ESS. I looked through the installation manual and didn't see any requirements for a hood. I only saw a note that said, "if a hood or microwave hood combo is used, following the clearance recommendations of the hood/Microwave combo unit." I'm assuming this means the Kitchenaid has no minimum requirements/recommendations for the hood size. I want a hood that is vented to the outside, but I don't have a big budget for this. Do I have to have make up air if I vent to the outside or is that just required for the big ones? Is there a CFM threshold that triggers the need for make up air? My builder's recommendation is recirculating hood because then we don't have to worry about it, but I have been looking forward to having a hood vent to the outside instead of above my head--even if it is a low end hood. I love the look of wooden hoods. Are there any inserts that wouldn't require make up air? I've only ever had OTR microwaves, so as long as it is better than a microwave I'm a step ahead. I also don't cook with a wok or fry fish.

Comments (21)