SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toxcrusadr

Shopping Mid Grade Gas Ranges

toxcrusadr
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Decided to switch from our old electric coil top to a gas range. We're considering ranges in the $750-$1500 price range, roughly. 30", probably freestanding as we'd have to make a backsplash if we went with slide-in.

Seems when you jump to the next tier, you get certain visible upgrades but it's hard to justify the amount of increased cost. But maybe there's more to it. Let me know what you think.

We concentrated on 3 brands because we read they had fewer defects on newer models: Frigidaire, LG and GE.

The price range I listed is mushy because they usually sell at much less than MSRP. Here are 3 we looked at closely with actual prices at a big box store (Nebraska Furniture).

Frigidaire FGGF3059TF $669

GE JGB700SEJSS $757

LG LRG3061ST $804

These have 5 burners including an oval center burner, simmer and high power burners, center griddle. All but the LG had convection oven. All had plastic touch pad oven controls, glass door, real metal knobs (not plated plastic - those bug me!).

Seems like when you move up a class, you get things like a glass touch panel instead of plastic (likely more durable), more oven racks (the above Frig. already had 3 though), or other random things like a ball bearing extension rack, or more functions on the oven controls like a bread proofing setting. But not really a whole lot of extras that you'd use much. We looked at a GE Profile PGB911EEJES ($1069) and an LG LDG4315BD ($1589) that were in the store. The LG had a double oven, one convection, one not, but priced much higher than the GE Profile. Did not see a Frigidaire in this price class.

$300+ seems like a lot for a few extra oven settings and a glass control panel.

But you can't see what's inside/under the hood. Are there better valves, burners, oven insulation, or other things as you go up in price?

One salesguy told my wife that the GE Profile we were standing in front of had a glass panel. I ran my finger across and could feel membrane buttons so it was clearly plastic, and I said so. He said "But it's high quality plastic." LOL

Comments (9)