SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24782280

Has anyone tried CBD oil for pain ?

User
5 years ago

It's a part of the cannabis plant that doesn't contain THC so you don't get a high. It's recommended for pain , trouble sleeping ,anxiety ,etc. I was looking into it for my DH's gout pain (he's allergic to any kind of pain killer) . I also read it can be used for dogs if they have fears ( fireworks,loud noises,etc...)

Not alot of studies have been done - in fact - they don't even have a recommended dosage . It's hit & miss.It's expensive,too. Part of me thinks it might be good and part of me thinks it might be "snake oil" ...LOL Have you had any experience with it ?

Comments (76)

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

Last night at the cannabis information session at the village church the lady from a cannabis provider said that only about 65% of the active ingredient is received when smoking ... but about 95% when vaping.

ole joyful

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

Elmer, I was smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day when I quit. It took me a full year to quit. My mantra was, “Never quit quitting”. I dont want to go thru that again. Cigarettes were my best friend.

And who says one or two hits a day with mj will be enough?

Will stick to the gummies for the time being, but thanks for caring.

• Related Discussions

Warning!Has anyone ever tried the MG soil for citrus?

Q

Comments (1)
    MG potting mixes are all peat based. This means they are not suitable for plants that require sharp drainage regardless of what the label says. Unless, like you say, a person lives in a hot, arid climate where nothing retains moisture for long.
    ...See More

The Blight is Back!!..anyone tried Neem Oil?

Q

Comments (1)
    don't think NEEM will have an effect on "blight", particularly because it's more a prentative than a cure, and there's no telling what you actually have because a number of external and internal things might cause 'blight-like' symptoms [we're pretty much past the 'early blight' period, and not yet into the 'late blight' period] - mine got hit w/ powdery mildew this year [for which I'm trying sulpher as a spray], and it seems lots of folks everywhere have had various problems - you might check over at the Tomato Forum's 'Pest and Disease' section where you'll find a thread titled 'Problem Solver 2' - need to examine the plants carefully and compare all the pics you can find linked there to get a better idea of what to do - good luck!!! Bill
    ...See More

Oil cleaning Method for face cleaning..anyone tried

Q

Comments (10)
    Absolutley oil is best for cleansing. Like you said, it is basic science. DHC makes a cleansing oil that totally removes make-up and rinses clean. I highly recommend it. It never leaves your face greasy. My mother uses olive oil for her face and I know others who do too. I use it around my eyes on days when I am not going to be wearing make-up. It does not look or feel greasy once it "sinks in". BTW the facial soap DHC makes is fabulous too. It you have a problem with dry hands in the winter it works well. You can contact them and they will send you FREE samples of their products with no obligation. Sign up to get their catalog with recipes, and beauty and fashion tips, along with two or three samples of there skin care products in every issue. DHC is not sold in stores nor is it sold by MLM reps. Their customer service people on the phone are very helpful. I am not connected with the company. I am just a very happy and satisfied customer. Like I said they do not use reps like Mary Kay or Avon so I am not making any money by recommending them to anyone. Just trying to share the joy. http://www.dhccare.com/DHC/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=300&Catalog=dhc+usa Here is a link that might be useful: DHC Cleansing Oil
    ...See More

Has anyone tried 'Pet Flora' probiotic?

Q

Comments (7)
    OK...After 10 days of treatment, I'm ready to give Pet Flora a cautious, qualified thumbs for solving Odessa's loose&stinky stool problem. She has been totally off the Flagyl for 3 days, after a week of gradually reducing the dosage...and is still making perfectly formed,dark poops. Granted, this is not based on a scientifically controlled finding...but since July when I adopted her and the vet put her on Flagyl, every 7-10 days when I would try reducing the dosage, the problem started to re-occur within 36 hours. During that period I had her on a liquid pro-biotic that didn't seem to be making a difference. I definately think that the Flagyl got rid of some kind of bad stuff she had growing in there (in addition to being loose and smelly, the color was yellow even tho she tested neg for Giardia)...and perhaps the extended length of the course of the antibiotic was ultimately responsible for getting rid of the condition. But there was (while she was still on the full dose of Flagyl)a noticable improvement in her stool the day after her first Pet Flora capsule. Her diet has remained the same...I have had her on a diet of Wellness canned chicken (very little if any dry) for well over a month. Anyway...so far, so good, but I'm still going to reserve judgement until she's been completely off the antibiotic for another week. L
    ...See More
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't know much about edibles....or marijuana for that matter, but I will tell you my experience with it.

Back in the late '70's, I decided, after trying it with friends, that I wanted to smoke it, but I would raise my own. Why not....I had a green thumb and plenty of land. I grew two plants. I had read somewhere, written by a hippie, that it helped to name the plant and give it an object of it's own. I don't remember what I named one of them, but one was Alfie, and Alfie's object was a souvenir of Galveston. A plastic sailfish backed up by a scallop shell.

We had very rich soil because the place had been a dairy for many years, but I went to a place...long abandoned...that used to raise chickens and got a big bucket of composted chicken manure. I dug a big hole for each plant and worked it into the soil. I started the plants in small pots, but set them out, once they were growing well, in the prepared spots. It was near a pond and I could turn on a gasoline pump and flood the area.

They grew like gangbusters. I had a hippie friend who grew it and used the shade leaves to make brownies, which he sold. He gave me one, and his recipe.

He said you take a pound of shade (dried weight) leaves and cook it down with butter and use the butter to make brownies. Duncan Hines had a mix that called for butter. Easy peasy.

Well...I don't know if his pound of shade leaves (those are the big leaves and don't have much THC as the buds....hence, you use a lot), were a real pound or if that was an estimate, but I did use a pound, dried weight, and that is a lot!

Since his brownies were pretty potent, I didn't need them to be that powerful, so in mine, I made them like mini fruitcakes with chopped pineapple, cherries, and a little cinnamon. I may have put walnuts in there too. And I baked them in mini muffin tins. There couldn't have been much more than a teaspoon of batter in each one.

So, I wanted to sample them....for taste as well as effect. I didn't expect them to be anywhere near what my friend had made.....after all, he was a "real" hippie, and I was anything but that. I ate two.

Let me tell you, that was the worst feeling of my life. I was basically catatonic for 24 hours. I sat in a recliner while the world spun around me. If it calmed down for a little while and I ate something, then that got it cranked up again. No way in hell I would eat any more of those. Jody gave them to a friend of his....who ate 4 and was wiped out for a weekend, but he loved them. I never made them again but I used to sell pot to some ladies in a bridge club.

I smoked pot for a couple of years, but I quit because it had an adverse effect on me. I would get so all it did was make me think of every bad thing in life that could happen to me.

I haven't smoked it in 40 years. The last time someone gave me a joint, I kept it but didn't smoke it.

Anyway, I realize that edibles professionally made are more standardized than my little foray into making them. I don't care what other people do....none of my business.

My farrier has started selling CBD oil. He says there is a big difference between brands. It doesn't make you high but helps with many ailments. I am thinking of trying it. Would buy from him....have no interest in trying to make my own. :)

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was so tempted to buy the CBD oil for my DH's gout . Our local liquor store sells it . It says "for relaxation" . I don't trust it . I'd like to buy it from a reputable store .... but how do I know it's not the same thing as the liquor store sells ? I could just buy a bottle of booze for relaxation ,and I know what's in it ! LOL

• marilyn_c
    5 years ago

I will find the name of the one my farrier sells and post it.

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

Check out Green Roads.

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

Bump

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    5 years ago

Here it just became legal as a prescribed medicine. I don't know 5he specifics. If it helped the constant pain I suffer I would try it. Being on oxygen 24/7 I couldn't smoke it though.

• roy4me
    5 years ago

I use the drops and the topical salve.

Works well for me.

• Terri_PacNW
    5 years ago

I just bought this. Purchased for son who vapes mj for sleep assistance, but will soon be graduating college and needs to be thc free for job hunting.

However my husband has tried it on his sore joints. Says it gives quick relief. Cbd oil roll on

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"son who vapes mj for sleep assistance".

Yeah? Prescribed by a physician or prescribed by himself?

If the second, is it ever used any other time?

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    5 years ago

It did not work for me.

Sue

• User
    5 years ago

I'm going to go to a cannabis store and buy my own. I've been using my husbands for the past week, and I'm finding it's helping my hands and my foot. He needs his for his headaches (he uses a 1:1, I just need the cbd by itself). Calgary has SO many cannabis stores I'll shop around to see who has the best deal.

• bengardening
    5 years ago

I am going to try it for the pain with my Bell's Palsy. I will let you know if it works or not.

• Lindsey_CA
    5 years ago

I have a little 2 oz jar of cream that my husband bought for me ($50) that's labled Arnica Cream. The ingredients list is as follows: "coconut oil, water, beeswax, hemp oil, linatural, arnica extract, cannabidiol (CBD), vitamin E oil, st . johnswort extract, calendula extract, lecithin, and essential oils of juniper berry, lavender, rosemary, blue tansy, and helichrysum. This jar contains at least 200 mg of cannabidiol (CBD)."

Hubs got it for me because I have arthritis in both knees as well as my left ankle. This stuff really helps control the pain.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

It may not be the CBD but the Arnica as Arnica when it works is a pain reliever. Niece gave my husband some when he had knee surgery. While it did not work for him the person he gave the stuff to swore that it relieved their severe pain.

• eccentric
    5 years ago

Debby, what happens if you go on a trip? Having a medical marijuana card won't help you. Serious question. I do know some people who have used CBD oil (and TBD.) and have found it does not help - and others who have used it and it did. One person who took it tried it for bad headaches but got absolutely no relief but found that her arthritis benefited from it. It probably depends on the type of problem and each person's own chemistry.

Will you be paying cash at the Cannibis store? I ask this because of the credit card history (I know I am probably into conspiracy theories here).

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

"Will you be paying cash at the Cannibis store? I ask this because of the credit card history (I know I am probably into conspiracy theories here)."

Here, where cannabis is legal, it is a cash-only business. That is ALL they will accept. In fact, most dispensaries and stores have onsite ATM's for your shopping convenience :)

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

The cash-only practice is because state laws permitting marijuana use are in conflict with federal drug laws. So from a federal perspective (including banking regulation), money from state-legal marijuana businesses is viewed as proceeds from illegal activities and banks that accept such funds are treated as participating in illegal money laundering. There are attempts to sort this out, including the use of state-chartered banks and credit unions in some places.

But for the meantime, it's a cash business in most places as far as I know. That's long been the case here in California where medical marijuana was legalized in 1996. Rent payments, employee wage payments, product purchases, etc., etc., all in cash.

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

Here is a news article from NBC. Quite interesting!

CBD

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

There was an article I saw several places yesterday about a truck driver that was transporting the raw material that was supposed to be used to make CBD that was arrested in Idaho when his shipment contained more than the legal amount of THC. The shipper and the receiving company both mentioned that the leaves were field grade hemp and did not contain much THC. One report showed that some of the bags had zero when tested. While I doubt if the leaves contained Zero THC it sort of reinforces the idea that for many CBD has a placebo effect. There are of course some that may receive a benefit but if a person is thinking the effect is from the THC they are probably wrong.

• User
    5 years ago

Eccentric, we know we can't take CBD oil (or any marijuana medication even with a prescription) outside of Canada. We are planning to go to Cuba in a year. The only thing we are worried about is how my husband will handle his headaches without any pain medication. OTC drugs do absolutely nothing for him. So we decided if we stay at an all inclusive he can drink more. lol Who knows, a few good stiff drinks may be all he needs to relax him a bit. I can handle arthritic fingers and feet. He can't handle his headaches (not migraines: his are worse than those).

• llitm
    5 years ago

I always take my CBD with me when we travel internationally. It never occurred to me that it would be a problem.

• bengardening
    5 years ago

Just wanted to let you know I will not be trying it. I went for an acupuncture treatment and my pain went away. I still have a little bit but I can take care of it with ibuprofen.

• eccentric
    5 years ago

Debby, I knew about Cuba therefore I decided to point out about Canadians taking marijuana based products out of Canada - it is horrifying the number of people who think that they can, especially those who think that having a prescription will help them. And, yes, booze should help your husband to relax! Re your arthritis, watch out for the nightshade vegetables - tomatoes, mushrooms etc. - there is a whole list. I believe that Cherryfizz can't eat certain such foods due to gout???? I could be wrong though.

• eccentric
    5 years ago

gardengal - the problem with marijuana based products in Canada is that it is now legal in all of Canada but you currently (in Ontario at least) have to order it on-line - hence a credit card. Apparently there is going to be some sort of a "card" that people can get to avoid using their credit cards, but "cards" can be traced! In the meantime, drug dealers are flourishing on a cash basis and people are smoking it in the streets.

In Ontario municipalities had the opportunity to decide whether or not they would allow free-standing stores - many opted not to allow them, others did - and now the battle goes on because while many of the users of marijuana do want them they don't want them in their neighbourhoods. Such a surprise!

Personally, I am all for medical marijuana if it is needed (ASL patients come to mind since a relative recently died from this horrible disease at a young age) - but not for those who want to use it for recreational purposes, along with a chaser of alcohol - if they are going to be driving. This is a big issue for me. However, I am biased because I grew up with the issue, although did not use drugs or alcohol. I will now drink wine, but that is it.

If your doctor will give you a medical marijuana note and you have health coverage you must submit the name of the product to your health insurer to determine if it is covered.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

A suggestion for headache sufferers is to ask for a deep tissue massage. I have a shoulder injury since HS that causes headaches. Last time I had therapy other than teaching me a few exercises massage of the neck and that area was all that was done when I refused muscle relaxants. I went for a deep tissue massage last summer because of my shoulder and one of the places on the area on the opposite side was touched immediately caused what a doctor I had many years ago called "cluster headaches". A few more touches, not deep at all, relieved the intense pain and nausea.

• eccentric
    5 years ago

whatsayyou - I know that I can't take anything cannabis related to where we will be going in Central Europe. If you are asked and you answer that you are not carrying any such products and then you happen to be selected for secondary screening then you can be in major trouble. I look as innocent as all get out and I am always asked. No one can figure this one out except that they have to ask X number of people so always ask the least likely. It is kind of bizarre.

It is the same for Cdns. travelling to the U.S. As Elmer correctly pointed out, cannabis is under Federal jurisdiction. Many Cdns. feel that as long as they travel directly to U.S. states where cannabis is legal then there will be not an issue. This is of course incorrect.

I am guessing that you have not been asked as yet if you are carrying the product.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

eccentric, using marijuana for recreational purposes is no different than enjoying a glass or two of wine or a couple of cocktails. Obviously you do not want to be doing either when driving!! That is just common sense.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"If you are asked and you answer that you are not carrying any such products and then you happen to be selected for secondary screening then you can be in major trouble"

I'm not sure what European countries you have in mind. I've flown to Europe MANY times (more than 50, probably less than 100), the only formality I've ever had is to present my passport to an immigration officer who inspects it and checks you with a database. They may ask about travel plans and length of stay but nothing else.

In some countries, that step is now automated with kiosks that read the smartchip in the passport. After the immigration formality, I've never once spoken to a customs officer. I wouldn't be surprised if Cuba and other third-world countries (especially corrupt ones) are very different.

Until I got my Global Entry card, the country for which I had the consistently worst experience as an arriving passenger is the United States.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I believe over the counter CBD oil is a "supplement" and not a pharmaceutical. Translation= production is unregulated, uninspected, and adherence to the stated contents on the labels is probably very variable from company to company and even from one batch to another. As it is with other unregulated supplements.

Also famously with supplements, dangerous adulterating chemicals not listed on the label are often found and ingredients listed on labels are often not present in the products.

• phoggie
    5 years ago

I tried CBD for 60 days and no relief from arthritis or tremor...I wish I had gotten the good results that some of you have had. Is there anyone who has used it for essential tremor?

• bengardening
    5 years ago

I just ordered my first bottle and balm. I will let you know if it helps my bell's palsy

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

Phoggie, I got the Relax Gummies from Green Roads to help me sleep. After using them for 3 weeks I realized my ET had significantly slowed down. Really made a difference for me!

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

I got a paper from the nurse's info board at the church that sponsored the talk by a C B D provider the other day. There's no indicator of the info provider or to validate the claims, and I did not see it among the materials available on the night of the talk.

It gives a list of 18 circumstances where CBD may be helpful (only the first two have the first word start with a letter in the first half if the alphabet, if you happen to be interested).

According to this list, CBD may help with:

Antibacterial

Inhibits cancer cell growth

Neuro-protective

Promotes bone growth

Reduces seizures and convulsions

Reduces blood sugar levels

Reduces function in the immune system

Reduces inflammation

Reduces risk of artery blockage

Reduces small intestine contractions

Reduces vomiting and nausea

Relieves pain

Relieves anxiety

Slows bacterial growth

Suppresses muscle spasm

Tranquilizing

Treats psoriasis

Vasorelaxant

There's list of several related agents and some of the benefits which they offer, which I may write later, if you'd like.

If you like further info, I'll try to track some down.

ole joyful

• chisue
    5 years ago

Glad to see this topic. The chemo for my multiple myeloma (or the disease itself) has caused a shingles-like nerve pain across my midriff. I'm taking five Tylenol-4 pills daily for pain. They've taken me off chemo weekly and I will resume it monthly starting Monday.

When I saw the chief doctor for MM two weeks ago, she recommended I try massage and possibly CBD. She has not had another MM patient with the nerve pain I have although peripheral nerve damage is common. She has one MM patient who has benefited from CBD for peripheral pain and who now makes and sells it. I just this week asked how to contact with her. (MD's aren't going to 'prescribe' something that is not FDA approved -- and probably illegal in the USA.)

Our library puts out a monthly "Book Page" with ads for new books and book reviews. One review in the February issue is for "A Woman's Guide to Cannabis: Using Marijuana to Feel Better, Look Better, Sleep Better -- and Get High Like a Lady" by Nikki Furrer. I put a hold on this at our library.

I know a few people who have vaped CBD this for anxiety, but I'd thought I would look for an oral product. (I am asthmatic.) It's a real downside that there are no standards for this.

• phoggie
    5 years ago

Kathyg_.... did you order your Relax Gummies from the internet?

My DD used CBD oil for a couple weeks but it caused her to be depressed and cried at the drop of a hat...got rid of it and got better.

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

Medical marijuana edibles are extremely potent for a reason. It goes back to their original formulation for cancer patients who have lose of appetite and nausea that don't allow them ingest enough to be helpful. Hence a small nibble of say a cookie will serve the purpose. Eat a whole cookie and you may find yourself in down the rabbit hole in wonderland. When the packettes are marked 5x or 10x etc. they are not kidding.

I can't speak to the effectiveness of CBD. I tend to think it's probably more of placebo effect without the THC but it seems to help people so to each their own. Time will tell. I am always suspicious of "cures" that have extremely long laundry lists of unrelated conditions they will help. It goes against science in my opinion and crosses over into the snake oil realm.

• marilyn_c
    5 years ago

It's planting time...and I don't have any seeds.

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

Phoggie, I ordered them from Green Roads, located in Florida.

• eccentric
    5 years ago

Elmer - Italy, by way of Austria and Germany. The funny thing is I never have had too much trouble going to the U.S. If you aren't asked in Europe you are good - if you are and lie, well then things will turn bad fast. At the moment many Canadians are being asked.

• bob_cville
    5 years ago

I ran into a co-worker at Lowes who ask me to help load some lumber into his vehicle because he had a painful shoulder. The next day at work he stopped by to thank me, and said his shoulder issue had been going on for several weeks, and said that he had been using a topical CBD oil product to manage the pain and praised it quite highly, saying it made a crucial difference in being able to work and get on with his life as opposed to just laying in bed in pain.

• chisue
    5 years ago

I haven't taken this search any further, but am wondering when masking pain might be dangerous. (Prompted by Bob's example of the man with the sore shoulder.) Many years ago I was prescribed a pain killer that helped with hip joint pain. It was recalled -- not sure why, but my hip had deteriorated enough by then that surgery was no longer 'an option'; I had to have a replacement.

• wantoretire_did
    5 years ago

Marilyn-c your saga has made my day! I haven’t laughed like that in a long time. Might your farrier share some seeds? LOL

DH will start trying tablets for ET next week. Hoping for some relief.

• Frederick Moore
    4 years ago

I've tried CBD oil as a remedy for my panic attacks. Sometimes it helped me. I read on Addiction Resource that it's a good alternative....

• Angla Gadapee
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Honestly speaking, I didn't use it for pain only but yes to reduce stress and for a night of better sleep, I have got CBD oil products from here. I also use it to get relief from low back pain. If you are going to get one to ease pain, then keep in mind that it usually relieves chronic pain. But somehow, people living with arthritis also consider it suitable for arthritis pain.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

This is one of the best balanced and unbiased pieces I've read on the subject. It's a longish read but I think it covers a lot of good information for anyone considering the use of or currently using CBD products. I found the paragraph about the importance of proper dosage to be especially relevant.

https://reason.com/2019/01/13/is-cbd-a-miracle-cure-or-a-mar/

• Jasdip
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hubby and I both tried the oils CBD and THC and it didn't work for us. We wanted it for anxiety mostly and to help us sleep. He didn't have much pain, from his cancer so that wasn't an issue.

I didn't like the taste of it......tastes strongly of a pine tree. I'd put a few drops in a drink, hubby put a few drops under his tongue----the preferred method.

My brother has pain in his knees and I gave the rest of the oil to him. Didn't help him either.

One time I took a few drops, when I hadn't taken it for a while. You're supposed to go into it gradually.....start with 2 drops and work your way up over a period of time. I put my usual 5 drops in my drink and I was bouncing off the walls going to bed, the room was spinning, I thought I was having a heart attack or stroke or something. I laid in bed and the room was spinning there too. Wow, if that's a good time, people that take this stuff can have it. I hated it, and was terrified. I hate not having control of my body and mind.

• chisue
    4 years ago

Today's Chicago Tribune has an article today saying that TSA has had to OK carry-on supplies of CBD products and medical marijuana. The restrictions about how much and where sourced (prescription required?) are "vague".

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022