SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Hand Miter saw with more teeth per inch, suitable for hardwoods?

I occasionally make wood projects for fun. All by hand except I do have a drill press and a small belt sander. I have the usual wood miter box and miter saw. Recently I built an oak bookcase with mitered trim. The miter saw had a lot of trouble with the oak trim. Even if I started the cut with a file, the too-large teeth kept catching on the wood. It was taking forever to cut the trim, and except for the wider base molding, they were not thick pieces.

I decided the saw was old and dull and went out to buy a new one, only to find out I was still having the same problem. I had looked for something with more teeth per inch than my old one, which I think would take care of it. But all the miter aka backsaws in the store had the same number of teeth, 12 per inch. I ended up using a hacksaw (18 tpi: but not very deep teeth, if that’s the right term) to finish the job: still very slow, plus presented its own problems, as it is very hard to maintain the right vertical angle and not tilt.

I have some major framing projects coming up. I need something better.

I bought a beautiful vintage all-metal miter box at an antique store last fall. This has slots to cut some unusual angles, which is just what I need to for the antique afghan hexagonal tile I want to frame. This has a guide device to slip your saw into; which is meant to accommodate a regular miter saw: it has a channel to hold the thicker metal top piece of the saw. So any other type of saw won’t fit. I think. I don’t have another saw to test it with.

I bought walnut molding for the upcoming projects. That might be even harder to saw than the oak was.

So: what kind of hand miter saw is suitable for hardwoods, and where do I find one? Thanks.

Comments (9)