SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

What to watch? Some recc.s

mtnrdredux_gw
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Ok this may be random or may be repetitive but I have a few things to recommend. I've always appreciated recommendations of what to watch because otherwise I spend an hour looking for something, and watch nothing.

So, somewhat randomly,here we go.

Just saw Bohemian Rhapsody. It is in the theatres and that is where to see it, on a big screen.The only thing that stops me from giving this movie a zillion-star rating is that it is always better to have low expectations for anything. So, ignore the next few sentences if you have not seen it. I like movies quite a bit, mostly arthouse stuff or foreign films, not much in the block-buster Hollywood ilk. OMG this movie was fantastic. Great performances, music, great story, great acting. And, PS I do not like Queen, could remember only one hit I thought, and did not know the story at all. Eight of us saw it, 15 to 50-something, and all loved it.

Next, the Netflix series Atypical. Sweet, funny, interesting. This is about a teen boy with autism. I read that some feel that it is unrealistic because he is a very high functioning boy with autism, but everyone in movies and film is really high-functioning in a way, yes? (no one wants to see ordinary). Anyway, that aside, i started watching out of curiosity and thought it was almost a learning exercise. Maybe it is to some extent, but it is also excellent entertainment. It is really a family drama centered on teens that happens to have a boy who is different. My teens also thought it was very good.

Crazy Rich Asians .... for a somewhat formulaic romcom, this is interesting, fresh, different. Enjoyable if not deep. (Amazon)

Lastly, DH and I have just started watching the much ballyhooed "This is Us". The director is that hunky guy a million years ago from Thirtysomething and it reminds me of that in some ways, but there is a lot more going on. Great story and great writing and really holds your interest. (Amazon)

Comments (69)

• maddielee
    5 years ago

Ken Olin is connected with This Is Us, he’s still a hunk.

• User
    5 years ago

Thanks Maddielee. His name didn't come up in my director search.

• Related Discussions

Weekend: Windy, Fire Watch West, Freeze Watch East

Q

Comments (3)
    Jay, Once the cold weather passes, it may be tomato planting time here......maybe about Tues. or Wed. depending on what the forecasters say and on what I feel "in my bones". I think that after this cold spell passes, zone 7B "ought to" be done with the cold, but I might be wrong. I'm making progress too, but there's so much I need to do that actually involves "planting" and, with this cold spell, planting of warm-season crops just isn't smart yet. Imp, I hope you're not in the part of NW OK expecting wind gusts up to 60 mph between about noon and 3 p.m. because that kind of wind is so hard on plants (and power lines, etc.) The last time we had wind like that here, trampolines went flying hundreds of feet and, in more open areas, hundreds of yards. And, of course, some power lines came down. I hope you can throw bedsheets or blankets or something over your ornamentals and save them. This certainly is challenging weather. Dawn
    ...See More

Watching 'The Voice'? (or did you watch?)

Q

Comments (17)
    I did watch it and liked the new spin on this show. I am already sick of Christina though, she just keeps talking and talking and not letting the others talk, thought there was going to be some boxing gloves coming out there for a minute. I like Blake too and I like the ones he picked.
    ...See More

ever watch a series U love but dread watching?

Q

Comments (4)
    Glenda, what "gets to you" about Fri. Night Lights? We watch it, well, Hubby watches it, and I'm usually on the laptop. We don't see anything uptight about it or anything. Now, Criminal Minds is one that I can mention. I love that show, but some of the episodes are so creepy, and I get sick thinking that some sicko could and would do these things.
    ...See More

Did You Watch Watergate? Watching Now?

Q

Comments (65)
    Someone on Hot Topics has posted a video of Sasha Baron Cohen accepting an award from the Anti-Defamation League. It's worth looking up. Cohen makes the point that lies and hatred are being spread far and wide by Facebook and Google -- unchecked -- as some sort of 'entertainment'. I agree with him that these for profit companies should be held to the same regulations as newspapers, broadcasters, magazines, movies, etc. NOT to disseminate fake news and foment hate. "Free Speech" has bounds. Journalism slid into this when it began presuming that *everything* has 'two sides'. No, not everything is 'debatable'. Facts do not have 'alternative meanings'. A pound IS 16 ounces, not some alternative number. Regarding this thread, President Trump DID withhold aid to Ukraine while demanding that Ukraine announce an investigation that he could use to smear his political rival. It is not "OK" to so abuse the office of the President, nor to use taxpayer money for personal profit.
    ...See More
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

In the past week I’ve seen Widows, Creed 2, Fantastic Beasts 2, Narcos: Mexico, the new Agatha Raisin episode, and The Final Table. I’m currently watching The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Have Deutschland 86 on the DVR. So much in both Netflix and Amazon Prime queues.

• User
    5 years ago

Ken Olin is the producer of This is Us.

• runninginplace
    5 years ago

"I didn't see any politics or correctness in this at all..felt like a helluva human pain to me. Just people, you know? As they are. Especially as they are if something hits them hard."

I loved Three Billboards--there was one sequence in which her former husband, whom the audience knows used to beat the wife, starts to erupt physically and knocks over a chair. The young adult son stops the rising violence and then.....they casually, almost instinctively, just start to pick up the chairs that have been knocked over while the dialogue continues

That small cinematic moment struck my heart; such a subtle but crystal clear delineation by the director of what life is like in an abusive family; everyone knows what to do when the furniture is slammed around--or the mother.

• 4kids4us
    5 years ago

May I pretty please ask a favor and ask that you post where the show is broadcast when you mention a worthwhile show? It’s helpful to know where to search for a show whether it is on Netflix, Amazon, AcornTV, etc. For eg, I can’t seem to find the Deutschland series mentioned. If I knew ahead of time it was on a streaming service or channel I don’t have access to then it would save me some effort looking.

I just finished The Bodyguard on Netflix. It was a miniseries originally on BBC I think -a British cop/political thriller. For the most part, it was enjoyable.

I’m currently watching The Heart Guy which is being broadcast on WETA UK. It is an Australian series aka Doctor Doctor. The first season is currently on WETA UK though I think there are three seasons so far. It’s about a narcissistic heart surgeon who gets sent back to his hometown to work in the local hospital as a punishment for some bad behavior in Sydney.

For anyone looking for a quirky dramedy series, The Offspring is great. It can be a little out there at times, but my friends and I really enjoyed it. It’s an Australian series that can be found on Netflix.

• Sueb20
    5 years ago

So interesting — a friend recommended Blindspotting this morning, then I come here and cawaps mentions it! I think I need to watch it tonight.

Can‘t wait til Mrs Maisel starts again!

• beaglesdoitbetter
    5 years ago

I haven't started season 3 of The Good Place yet. We like to wait until a show is finished for the season before we watch. That is also why I haven't yet begun watching season 3 of This is Us

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

Deutchland 86 was running on the Sundance channel, I think is it done now.

I must watch Blindspotting, I adore Daveed Diggs.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

I forgot to add My Brilliant Friend on HBO. Not my usual fare, very engrossing.

The Legend of Buster Scruggs is streaming on Netflix.

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

Yeah Cindy, the Kominsky Method overall didn't hang together for me, but had some wonderful moments. I admit to fast forwarding through a lot of Michael Douglas' scenes, particularly with that woman who was nothing more than window dressing, her character and that relationship was just weird and relatively pointless, as was his relationship with his daughter. But the last episode really touched me. It's Alan Arkin dealing with losing his wife that I found compelling.

• Arapaho-Rd
    5 years ago

As far as movies go, I don't know if anyone mentioned, but I loved A Star is Born. IMO, a must see.

• User
    5 years ago

Sharp Objects, a southern melodrama, is an HBO mini series based on Gillian Flynn's novel.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

Sharp Objects was good..great cinematography

• nutsaboutplants
    5 years ago

How do I watch Sharp Objects if I don’t have HBO? TIA.

• terezosa / terriks
    5 years ago

We went to see Bohemian Rhapsody this weekend with my brother and my 88 year old mother and her boyfriend. We all loved it. It was very well done, and for a 2+hour movie it didn't drag at all.

• User
    5 years ago

Good Place - season 1 - haha. Season 2 - huh? Season 3 - oh, ok. Verdict? It has some good laugh moments.

Australias Best Home - Netflix. I liked it. Very good assortment of homes. Easy series to just space out to.

HBO - free HBO weekend allowed us to catch up on Game of Thrones. I liked Wonder Woman. The 2017 remake of Murder on the Orient Express - wonderful sets, props, costuming. The story was meh. Bladerunner 2049 - fantastic.

Showtime - catching up on Homeland.

• jb1586
    5 years ago

So many shows, so little time! We just finished The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu last night. Excellent, even though the finale of Season 2 was a little bit of a head scratcher. Casual on Hulu just ended after 4 seasons, a really funny half hour show. Hulu, by the way, is running a special, 99 cents a month for a year. Can't wait for Veep to come back, Mrs. Maisel, also. Enjoyed Goliath on Amazon, I think. And Bosch. Will be starting House of Cards tonight. We also watch Leah Remini's show about Scientology on A&E. Oh, and if you have the TBS app, watch "People of Earth", which was sadly cancelled. I think it was two seasons, a really funny, clever show. It is amazing how little we watch on the networks anymore.

• User
    5 years ago

Nutsaboutplants, Sharp Objects is out on DVD now, so you might be able to get a copy at the library. If they don't have it yet, you can request it.

• nutsaboutplants
    5 years ago

Thanks CindyMac!

• Gooster
    5 years ago

I really enjoyed the Good Place, Season 1, but am still working my way through the whole series -- the first season was pretty inventive. Also love Mrs. Maisel. Also worked through Jack Ryan, I thought the Krazinski brought something new to the role, a little dorkiness, though I had a few little plot niggles. I really liked Salt Fat Acid Heat as a food show combined with travelogue -- the first three, that is.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

I saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald in the theater last weekend, I enjoyed it very much.

Started watching Hidden on Acorn TV, Welsh crime drama. I like the new Dick Wolf series, FBI, airs on CBS.

One that I cannot finish on Acorn is Keeping Faith, way too slow plot, horrible music playing all of the time.

• oldbat2be
    5 years ago

DH and I were recommended Blacklist by a bartender at a favorite restaurant. We love it! It gets better and better. Here's a shot from Rotten Tomatoes:

When we asked (made!) DD, a junior at BC, watch an episode, she loved it, immediately identifying Raymond Reddington as Robert California from The Office.

Edited to add we are at the start of season 3. The seasons are nice and long - 20+ episodes.

• User
    5 years ago

Love The Blacklist! Next season starts January 3.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

Killing Eve will start on Hulu tomorrow, 12/1.

• bpath
    5 years ago

Well! We just watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, and it was quite excellent.

• rockybird
    5 years ago

I just finished “the Grand Hotel” on Netflix. I really enjoyed it. It takes place in a hotel in 1905 in Spain and has subtitles. 3 seasons.

Sneaky Pete was good also (Netflix), Anne with an E was GREAT (Netflix) and I love The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I also really enjoyed Love in Morocco, another Netflix series from Spain. El Chapo was good too. I’m watching Narcos now.

• ratherbesewing
    5 years ago

I am a little late to this what to watch party, but I recent;y viewed "The Clinton Affair" on A&E On Demand. It's a 6 episode documentary encompassing the Arkansas to White House years of Bill Clinton. This documentary takes you from Whitewater to Monica Lewinsky. Lots of interviews with the big players (Ken Starr, Paula Jones and Michael Isikoff). I highly recommend.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

I want to add a few more. Counterpart, cold war Germany in parallel universes, on Hulu (season 2 begins on STARZ 12/9). Barry, hitman would rather be an actor, Amazon Prime. Pose, drag queens in the 1980's, Amazon Prime. Unforgotten, cold cases in the UK, on Amazon Prime. The new version of Howards End, also Amazon Prime.

• oldbat2be
    5 years ago

rockybird - I will look for "the Grand Hotel". I loved the first season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel too. You made me smile with your reference to "Anne with an E". Dear younger brother recommended it to me as well (haven't watched it yet). My middle name on my drivers license is Lynne (with an E), which I'd forgotten does not match my birth certificate (no E). The 'E' is a big deal to some of us dreamers!

• oldbat2be
    5 years ago

Adding - for CindyMac - that I finished the Audible version of 'Sharp Objects' about 3 weeks ago. Wow. Made you a little crazy at times and didn't entirely flesh out certain opportunities.

It would be nice to have a thread about what we're listening to, which is more usual for me.

I tend to listen to non-fiction and classics far more than read them.

• User
    5 years ago

Quick update; we started watching Escape at Dannemora, the true story of two murderers who escaped a NY state max security prison with the help of two employees. It's dark, well acted (Benicio del Toro, wowza, he's excellent), well written and does a pretty good job depicting life in the North Country of NY. They got the accent wrong, the nasal "i" doesn't start until Syracuse and points west, but that's just a quibble from someone who grew up just across the lake from Dannemora and worked in Plattsburgh for years.

We also watched season 2 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maizel, and it was a real disappointment, and felt like a cross between a musical (a genre I loathe) and a contrived rom-com from the 1950's. We loved season 1, a LOT, but this season was very uneven, and seemed to be focused on how much of a dick her father is, and how much her mother wants to marry her off again, I'd rather they focused on her doing stand up, which, to me, is the best part of the show. The show is very well acted, but feels over-acted at times, and just totally unbelievable, especially that we never, ever see her children, and her romance with whats-his-name the doctor (clearly a forgettable character to me).

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

lakeaffect, and this Escape at Dannemora, where one can watch it?

I'm waiting for couple new seasons of other shows to come out..three more days. "True Detective season 3 (the second was nothing to write home about but I hope they impove)..and I heard they ecranised "Vanity Fair"-some new version hopefully better than last one, and both supposedly come on Dec 21 I think..?

I watched several series of "Durrells"..well if it's based on the book then extremely loosely. Remember Gerry's turtle/tortoise? There are several pages dedicated just to habits and character of that turtle..after which I somehow had, just had to get myself a turtle(not as easy in Ukraine)...in short animals take much much more space in the book ..of course main characters of family and friends still exist, and descriptions of characters and events are hilarious, but I don't even know where they took two thirds of events described in the series, and whether mentioned somewhere else maybe, and I hope the family was consulted beforehand.

It's a nice show , but it's not the book. And the book still was funnier))

As for "The Marvelous Mrs Maisel" I love cinematography, a lot..and some characters of course..the rest to me is slightly irritating (as they insert lotsa nonsense if you ask me) and a bit tiresome this last season. I do like how they slowly develop characters more deeply, or at least try to do so..

Yes, I also always asked myself where the kids are)) lol

• 3katz4me
    5 years ago

We just watched the movie Law Abiding Citizen (2009) last night. Amazon or Netflix - I never remember where we find things. DH had seen it but I hadn't. It was excellent but a bit gruesome and disturbing. We also started watching the series The Dr. Blake Mysteries which we like a lot.

• User
    5 years ago

April, Escape at Dannemore is on Showtime, the only drag is that unlike amazon or Netflix, all episodes in the series don’t “drop” at once, you have to wait till Sunday for a new episode. Our daughter has some student promotion and has showtime, Hulu and one other channel for $5.99/month. We are taking advantage of her subscription, we’ve never had showtime before.

• ninasmom
    5 years ago

Hi lake affect, small world- I am from Syr & went to school in Plattsburgh.

Will see if your recs are available! Have a good weekend.

• User
    5 years ago

Hi ninasmom, several bars and restaurants (and the mall) in Plattsburgh are featured in the Escape at Dannemora, and they shot on location, so the landscape will be familiar. We live about 45 minutes north of Syracuse and there is another poster in Home Decorating Conversations who is in our area. Great to hear from you, Happy Holidays!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

On Acorn TV: Blood, Mayday, the latest Agatha Raisin

MHz via Amazon Prime: The Sandhamm Murders

• sas95
    5 years ago

Add me to those who liked season 1 of Mrs. Maisel but am not enjoying season 2 much.

Very much liked both seasons of GLOW.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alert - DO NOT go to see Second Act. One of the worst movies I have ever seen. And I was open to a junky, fluffy rom com. It did not work on any level.

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago

We buzzed through The Kominski Method (Netflix) and both DH and I really liked it. I laughed out loud at something in almost every episode and probably snorted a time or two. It's rare that I find something enjoyable that's also 'easy' to watch. For the moment I'm done with dystopian realities, head scratching dialogue, painful truths etc. I need a mental and physical break.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked DLM2000-GW
  • rockybird
    5 years ago

Agree about Mrs. Maisel. I loved season 1, but couldnt get through the first episode of season 2 and quit watching it.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

There must be something wrong with me - I barely got through the first episode of Mrs. Maisel.

On Acorn I'm watching Agatha Raisin, Striking Out.

Netflix - Quartet with Maggie Smith

Prime - Jack Ryan,

• gsciencechick
    5 years ago

Seems Mrs. Maisel is all over the place here. We do want to check it out.

Late to the party but just saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. Really enjoyed it more than I thought, mostly because I knew going in there was a lot was wrong in the chronology. I get that it is not a documentary. Rami Malek deserves every accolade he gets for his role as Freddie.

I think we're going to see Vice this weekend.

• dedtired
    5 years ago

I haven't started season 2 of Mrs M but others have said that you have to sick with it and it improves greatly.I watched the Netflix movie called Dumplin and it was cute although the story line is rather time worn. If you like Dolly Parton at all, you will like this. It was just what my holiday-weary brain needed.

I started Ballad of Buster Scruggs and Kominsky Method before Christmas. I have to get back to them since I was thoroughly enjoying both.

• rockybird
    5 years ago

I just wanted to add a plug for Roma on Netflix. I really enjoyed it. It’s in black/white with subtitles. It moves slowly, but that’s part of the beauty of it, as it portrays a snapshot of a 1970’s middle class family and the family helpers/laborers in Mexico City.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

I know that I forgot to add one to my list, it was Roma. I have issues with Roma. It was well acted, but I'm not as enthralled with it as many other people seem to be.

• Bonnie
    5 years ago

DH and I started watching season 1 of The Wonderful Mrs. Maisel yesterday and watched 3 episodes. What a hoot!

• User
    5 years ago

sas95, yes, both seasons of GLOW were fantastic, highly recommend. We just started watching Wanted, an Australian show with strong female leads (my fav mind of show), pretty good so far, and the scenery is lovely.