SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Did You Watch Watergate? Watching Now?

chisue
4 years ago

I know some here would have been watching Mr. Rogers back then, but some are oldies, too. Are you watching the hearings? You don't have to have opinions about impeachments, but I'm wondering ...Why? Why not?

Comments (65)

• lily316
    4 years ago

Yes and yes.

• Uptown Gal
    4 years ago

My Dad was in the Government back then....so I heard plenty about Watergate,

but don't remember listening to the news that much...just my Dad talking. Can't do it today and maintain my sanity and keep from muttering to myself...so have been trying to avoid large doses of it. And, yes, the worse is the

way the rest of the World feels about us.

• Related Discussions

Watching 'The Voice'? (or did you watch?)

Q

Comments (17)
    I did watch it and liked the new spin on this show. I am already sick of Christina though, she just keeps talking and talking and not letting the others talk, thought there was going to be some boxing gloves coming out there for a minute. I like Blake too and I like the ones he picked.
    ...See More

How closely did you watch you cabinet installation?

Q

Comments (17)
    Hover, yes that's the right word. I will find out definitely tomorrow when the cabinets are delivered, but best I could gather from the owners of cabinet store are that the contractor would be doing the install. I am assuming one of his carpenters will be assisting. The contractor was brought by to meet me when we finalized the cabinet order. Next time I met him was 2 months later when the cabinet order was in and they started demo. He was here for demo but left midday. BF is retired and stays here all day, but I'm in the middle of a large project and have to go to the office every day. The contractor has been here 4 times over the last 3 weeks, but I gather from BF that any time he comes here, that he will leave after about an hour. The owners of the store call to let me know what subs to expect over the week and what time to expect them. When subs come, I give them any extra direction they need. But I have to be at work by 9:30. I don't get home until 6pm, so by that time all I can do is inspect, take pictures and send emails. The last time he was here was about a week ago. I was so pissed off, I went ballistic as soon as he opened his mouth. I feel like I have taken over as GC and no one is allowed to make decisions or purchases without my approval. I hired the tile installer and granite people myself so the work will be done outside of my contract with the cabinet store. So far the tile guy was wonderful and while I will be here for the granite measurements and installation, I'm not worried about it. I am honestly thinking of sitting here though and watching every move the cabinet installers make.
    ...See More

Are you watching/going to watch any JB Ramsey documentaries?

Q

Comments (54)
    I watched the CBS shows and I've watched the Dateline and some of the Dr. Phil. I don't know what to think, other than believing an intruder is the least-likely scenario. Not impossible, but very unlikely, due to the way the note was written, the way the body was discovered, and Burke's interviews shortly after the crime and 18 months after the crime. Burke said he heard his mother come into his room and then go out of it looking for JonBenet, and then he heard her in hysterics (as he said in the interview afterward "going psycho") and just stayed in bed pretending to sleep or trying to sleep, rather than go try to find out what had happened. Picture your own kids. You burst into your 9 year old's room and then just as suddenly depart. You are frantically crying and screaming, alerting your spouse and then placing a 911 call. Your 9 year old doesn't freeze with fear. They don't hide. They also don't come ask you what's wrong. They don't go find dad and ask what's wrong. They just stay in bed and wait. The only reason I can think of for him to do this is either that he was used to the sound of adults "going psycho" in other parts of the house and did not find that unusual/alarming--or he knew what the problem was and was waiting to find out how his parents were going to handle it.
    ...See More

If you watch Manifest (and watched last night)

Q

Comments (29)
    Just have to chime in. started warching it after DD talked about it, then saw this thread, then it popped up on Netflix sceen. My view point, sappy, sappy, drama, drama and more drama, improbable soap opera plot lines. Reminds me of some Lifetime movie scenes. I’ll continue watching just to see what the fuss is all about!
    ...See More
  • aok27502
    4 years ago

I would have been around 10 years old during Watergate, so I do remember the event but I don't really remember paying much attention. I'm certain I wouldn't have understood what was going on.

I'm not watching this time, but I have caught bits and pieces on the radio in the car. Much like Dawn, I think the end result will be the same whether I listen to all of it or not. And yes, I vote in every election possible.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

No I didn't and no I am not.

Sue

• nicole___
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No & No. I DO vote. I DO care. I did watch JonBenet Ramsey rehashes & the white Ford Bronco/OJ......

• graywings123
    4 years ago

I am glued to the television watching this.

During Watergate, I worked during the day and could not watch. This was before VCRs existed for the masses.

• Lars
    4 years ago

I do remember watching Barbara Jordon during the Watergate trial. I voted for her for congress representative when I lived in Houston. I also thought she would have made a good president.

Not watching now.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

I didn't watch Watergate, and I'm not watching now. I'm interested, but I have too much to do right now to let myself be distracted by the hearings. I figure I'll catch up at the end of the day. I did hear Ambassador Yovanovitch live on NPR , and was impressed with her.

Ironic that Adam Schiff is being called "shifty" (in posts above) when the current administration is way more dishonest and corrupt than anything we've ever seen in Washington, and the kingpin very much like a mob boss. Can you imagine how Jim Jordan, etc., would sound if a Democratic president was the focus of these hearings?

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

wanda and Marilyn, how can you be so callous about this? Trump has broken the law in many ways, many times. As "prosecutors" do, this particular illegal act is being pursued because it seems to have the best likelihood of sticking.

There are a lot of real problems in the world and the inept actions of the current administration are at the root of many of them.

I'm mostly non-partisan. I try to vote for those I think are best suited to do the jobs they run for, no matter which of the two parties they're in. I'm also law abiding and try to maintain high standards of personal integrity and ethical conduct - you can't do that and turn your head away from all the slimy and egregious acts that have been committed by Trump.

And no, I didn't support or vote for Clinton in 2016.

• Chi
    4 years ago

I don't care to discuss with you "lefties"....I don't give a schitt that your opinion is different from mine and I don't care what you believe. Liberals pretend to be so fair minded and nothing could be further from the truth.

Hmm, and it's the liberals who aren't being "fair minded"?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

There are so many real problems

Yes, like for the new president of Ukraine there is that little war trying to keep Russia from gobbling up half his country (and in the end, all of it). But our president thought that investigating Hunter Biden should be his priority. Really?

I am liberal on some issues (a few of them, in fact, I really don't understand why they are still Dem vs Repub), but in the main I am conservative. Definitely fiscally conservative.

I can't admire Trump, and really don't know what you mean by "the things he has done for this country". He has promised a lot, in the main has either backed off of or failed to accomplish most of it (yet still claims credit in his speeches to doing what, in fact, he has not - even for what was done in the previous administration), and some things (like the Syria withdrawal) he has done badly and only at the instigation of another head of state (Erdogan) in a way that met only Erdogan's desires and ceded power and influence to Russia -again.

ETA: and, Schiff did put me off with his smirking, boastful declarations about how he was going to investigate Trump, on the news shows after the Dems got control of the House. Unfortunately, Trump and most of his original cabinet have left the barn door of suspicion wide open ever since he was elected.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"I don't give a schitt that your opinion is different from mine and I don't care what you believe. Liberals pretend to be so fair minded and nothing could be further from the truth."

Sure, and in return I'm happy for you to have whatever opinion you want too. I just asked the question how you could turn your head away from all the lawless conduct, elementary school bullying, and other inept actions coming from the administration. He's sullied the office and history will remember him for that above all.

"I don't care to discuss with you "lefties"....I don't give a schitt that your opinion is different from mine and I don't care what you believe. Liberals pretend to be so fair minded and nothing could be further from the truth."

I hope you're not referring to me, this characterization couldn't be more wrong.

What you're demonstrating, unfortunately, is how so many people (on both sides) can do little more than hurl sound-bytes. I tried to ask you some questions and point out my concerns and your response was to spew verbatim dogma without considering what I asked. It would seem that your views are not thoughtful and not formulated on your own, you only repeat what you've heard others say. Too bad.

• katrina_ellen
    4 years ago

Why isn't this "discussion" on HT? Don't ruin KT with this BS.

• Chi
    4 years ago

Why isn't this "discussion" on HT? Don't ruin KT with this BS.

People who don't want to participate can ignore it. There aren't any rules against politics on the KT anymore. This is a major current and historical event and I think it's fine to discuss it. Those who don't want to discuss it don't even have to open it.

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

I just object to the language used. Thinly veiled misspellings of words that, as my father said, are not acceptable in polite society, are offensive. If the word being misspelled can't be printed on the front page of the New York Times, it does not belong here.

• Chi
    4 years ago

Yep, purposely misspelling Schiff into profanity shouldn't be allowed.

• katrina_ellen
    4 years ago

Ok, there is an appropriate forum for those who like to "discuss" politics. You both post on there all the time, why here as well? Why pit people against each other who formerly managed to enjoy their time on here and get along. Too much of this going on in our society, you don't need to add to it.

• Chi
    4 years ago

Too much of this going on in our society, you don't need to add to it.

Again, it's entirely optional to participate. If you don't want to add to it, no one is forcing you to.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

I thought it was a great conversation until the name throwing started. I watched Watergate and Clinton impeachment and I'm watching as much of this as I can.

And I believe trump is closing in on 14,000 lies told in the last three years.

I could go on and discuss the fallacy that trump supporters live under but this isn't the conversation for it.

• lily316
    4 years ago

I watched both impeachment hearings and agree with Carl Bernstein, who was prominent in Nixon's impeachment, saying trump has done far worse than Nixon ever did. {Plus Nixon was intelligent)

• blfenton
    4 years ago

Nixon and Clinton's issues for impeachment involved domestic issues, trumps involves foreign policy and involves a foreign government. Very, very, different circumstances and yes, far worse.

• amylou321
    4 years ago

Nope. I am sure I will hear ALL about it if this circus ever amounts to anything. I don't like watching political stuff. It's like watching preschoolers fist fight. Or mean girls in high school bullying each other. I get annoyed that my local news dedicates so much time to it,replaying the same thing over and over. JUST TELL ME HOW IT ENDS!

I am horribly under informed as a result. But probably less stressed than the average person who stays glued to CNN all day.

I am watching old episodes of barefoot contessa on the food network go app,and trying to resist watching "The man who invented Christmas " on Amazon Prime until after Thanksgiving. I heard it is really good.

Oh, I wasn't alive during Watergate.

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

Interesting thought Blfenton.

refinement:

Clinton's involved personal domestic issues

Johnson and Nixon involved national issues

Trump's involves international issues.

We have them covered. the next president is going to have to shoot for Universal issues to score any points. At the moment it looks like Trump is winning on most points since he has involvement with his Cabinet which counts as national. I wonder how his wife feels about it?

• Bookwoman
    4 years ago

I was a teenager during Watergate, and my high school set up a small TV set in one of the unused classrooms so that we could watch whenever we had free time. There were some riveting moments.

I'm watching selectively now, and reading the recaps in the WaPo and NYT. I'm following the hearings partly because I'm a news junkie, but mostly because I'm concerned about the fate of our democratic institutions under the current administration.

• chisue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can't say that DH and I are watching minute by minute, but we are monitoring and listening to CNN, MSNBC, and local stations' coverage. I tried FOX, but learned nothing when coverage failed to address the initial issue at hand.

Issue: Did President Trump withhold US-approved military aid to Ukraine while insisting that Ukraine announce an investigation of the son of a political rival?

It's not about who made the claim, but whether it's true. The Trump administration has refused to provide the transcripts of a phone call that could prove this didn't happen. It's prohibited people in its administration from testifying.

I can't understand why this would not be of vital interest to any American. Our government only works when citizens fulfill their roles. How could anyone 'not care'?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

I was in high school during Watergate. We covered it in class but I don't recall watching the inquiry on TV. I remember the following year, the answer to an Academic Competition question was 'John Sirica'. My grandfather was a staunch Republican and Nixon supporter, and my grandmother was a staunch Democrat, so it was discussed at home, too.

I've been able to see only short blocks of the current impeachment inquiry, but let me take this opportunity, as an Ohioan, to apologize to the nation for Rep. Jim Jordan.

• Suzieque
    4 years ago

"However, I will vote for Trump when he runs again. I like the things he has done for this country. I also like the fact that he hasn't folded to all of the attempts to overthrow his election...and I am sickened by the lies and hypocrisy of the Democrats. I don't care to discuss with you "lefties"....I don't give a schitt that your opinion is different from mine and I don't care what you believe. Liberals pretend to be so fair minded and nothing could be further from the truth."

Wow. Just wow. Hate much?

To answer the question, no, I didn't watch Watergate hearings (too young). I am watching now with interest and open-mindedness (although I do have an opinion based upon all I've seen along the way).

• Uptown Gal
    4 years ago

Thank you Alisande...well said.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I admire Rush Limbaugh for his phenomenal career success. What his loyal audience doesn't realize is that he does not view himself as a political commentator or ideologue, but rather as an entertainer. He says and does things to engage his audience and provide what they're looking to hear. Not necessarily with sincerity, that's less important. The more outrageous and far-fetched his comments, the more his rabid fans are satiated. Listeners are being played and don't realize it. As alisande suggests, some of the comments here show that naivete.

One of the pioneers of this style of broadcasting persona was Joe Pyne, who was active in Los Angeles and with syndicated radio and TV shows in the 60s.

• Suzieque
    4 years ago

Excellent, Alisande. Applause to you.

• Michael
    4 years ago

I've distanced myself from both parties since both parties engage in deceit, corruption and self-indulgence.

• Kitchenwitch111
    4 years ago

I posted this on Hot Topics when I found it this morning. I looked it up and it's real - It's amazing to me that the same talking points from the Nixon era are being re-issued now

• Bookwoman
    4 years ago

Art Buchwald was a gem. Thanks for posting that.

• lily316
    4 years ago

Anyone who says they are not informed, it's a witch hunt and if they do they watch some fraudulent cable network like Fox which is all pro trump and gives no negatives on him. And when Chris Wallace and some others dare to speak truth to power, trump screams obscenities to them asking what happened to HIS network. He is deranged.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

Kitchenwitch - Thanks for posting the list of excuses. Only the names have changed.

• chisue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It just gets bigger. This afternoon Dr. Hill (Trump's top adviser on Russia) testified to several instances where Trump made it clear that he supported Russia's positions in anything to do with Ukraine. (Since Putin wants to reabsorb the whole country, while the US supposedly supports the nation's sovereignty...could his loyalties be more clear?) She quoted Trump stating that people in the Crimea were delighted to be occupied, then taken over by Russia.

We're hearing from person after person, "Everybody knew" that Trump's agenda has been to support Russian interests. (No, we weren't 'imagining' it.)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    4 years ago

Watergate: Yes. It was of the time, and there was suspense and intrigue. Also, civility among members of Congress.

Now: No. Witnesses refusing to appear is horrible, IMO. Everyone involved should testify, if they have relevant knowledge. I’d rather watch sports, TCM, and “Law and Order”.

• Chi
    4 years ago

I would like to see Trump take the stand. Like Hillary did for the Benghazi hearings.

• chisue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can't understand the 'nevermind' attitude when paying attention is the LEAST a citizen could do.

• lily316
    4 years ago

Many don't watch but turned on Fox and Friends this morning to watch trump destroy all the dedicated public servants who received death threats for testifying calling them despicable mean childish names. These are people with 30 years experience and trump was a reality tv host show who couldn't point out Ukraine on a map.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

Lily - I so agree with you. The damage that he does to the career foreign officers and the public civil servants with his mean-spirited demeaning comments is heart-wrenchingly sad. Of all the groups of people that he has chosen to attack, goldstar families, the disabled, American allies, even his fellow campaign competitors, I think this one makes me the saddest.

To become a career foreign officer is extremely difficult and they work quietly behind the scenes protecting and furthering American interests around the globe and then they get chopped down by the President. The State Department is at risk of becoming a nonentity in the world of diplomacy because of his third grade behaviour.

And for what, to make him feel better about himself, and to further is own personal interests? He knows they're smarter than he is and this is the only way he has of puffing himself up.

• chisue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Someone on Hot Topics has posted a video of Sasha Baron Cohen accepting an award from the Anti-Defamation League. It's worth looking up.

Cohen makes the point that lies and hatred are being spread far and wide by Facebook and Google -- unchecked -- as some sort of 'entertainment'. I agree with him that these for profit companies should be held to the same regulations as newspapers, broadcasters, magazines, movies, etc. NOT to disseminate fake news and foment hate. "Free Speech" has bounds.

Journalism slid into this when it began presuming that *everything* has 'two sides'. No, not everything is 'debatable'. Facts do not have 'alternative meanings'.

A pound IS 16 ounces, not some alternative number. Regarding this thread, President Trump DID withhold aid to Ukraine while demanding that Ukraine announce an investigation that he could use to smear his political rival. It is not "OK" to so abuse the office of the President, nor to use taxpayer money for personal profit.

• socks
    4 years ago

I've watched some of it, not all. It wears on me, a lot. Fiona Hill was remarkable. What an intelligent, articulate woman. I respect all those who testified.

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    4 years ago

This is why I liked the old kt. Politics and religion were not allowed.

• sheesh
    4 years ago

Intelligent discussion should be welcome at all times, of all topics, in all places. Participation is never required. Differing opinions, presented factually and without rancor, are essential to civilized society. This has been a great thread.

• chisue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There are people who sometimes march around Red Square with signs and photos of Joe Stalin, pining for 'the good old days'.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Can you link to photos any such activity, chisue? I'd expect to see Giuliani, Pompeo, and Pence (with his wife nearby to prevent acts of carnal temptation) in disguise but participating in the march. To please Putin. If asked, they'll deny it, of course.

• chisue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Elmer -- I've seen this on the news. (Like your ideas to add to the events.) BTW -- Have you ever seen "The Death of Stalin"? I got a pain in my side from laughing...but it's pretty dark humor!

• Bookwoman
    4 years ago

chisue and Elmer, here's a relevant article: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47975704