SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Yup can you believe it's that time already and that all our plants are inside for what is hopefully a short cold season although it is really off to a bad start. It's suppose to be the coldest Thanksgiving ever.

Minus -0 wind chill factor with highs in the teens tomorrow for here.

But all my plants will be cozy me tomorrow, that's the fun thing about having them inside.

Do you actually enjoy them inside although they prefer to be outside?

I hope every one is safe tomorrow, our friends in California and all over.

Happy Thanksgiving to all here, long time friends and new ones))

A picture or two of your set up and or your plants that are special to you would be just great.

Mike

Comments (34)

• 5 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving! It will be in the low 60's here in middle GA tomorrow and the following days will be roller coasting between 55-60*.

myermike_1micha thanked Denise Becker
  • 5 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving, Mike!

My cranberry sauce is cooling as I type, and my eggs are boiling for Deviled Eggs with my new smoked paprika!!!

My plants are all indoors or in the greenhouse now. The rain is falling and it's a balmy 54F outside.

• Related Discussions

Happy Thanksgiving To All Of You

Q

Comments (12)
    Hey Pauline, what beautiful roses you have and I love your home:) It's nice to put a face to your 'voice' too. Thanks for the complement and the link. Carla, I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow with your family, I'll be thinking of you. Kate, thanks for your so very kind words and I enjoy your friendship very much too. I hope tomorrow is a lovely day for you and Joseph. Thanks Judy, ham, potatos & stuffing for me:) Thank you Randy, I always enjoy pics of your roses also. I have the smell of pumpkin pies baking in the oven and roses in a vase at the sink, all is right in my house tonight and I can hear the sound of rain that we need so bad outside. Sweet:) Les
    ...See More

Happy Thanksgiving!

Q

Comments (3)
    Hope you had a great day, Kay.I haven't cooked the big dinner in a few years, now.I think since 99 to be exact. a daughter took that job over, and I stayed home and didn't go no where, but, a great thanksgiving ,meal was brought to me.Since the last fall I took, its hard to get around very good, and the back has gotten worse, so not wanting to get out very often. jean
    ...See More

Happy Thanksgiving

Q

Comments (8)
    Silvia, I grew the cherry tomato seeds you gave me in my Earthbox and they produced sooooo many tomatoes! They are just starting to turn ripe now. I had light bug and disease pressure this year so things were less aggravating than usual. Your carrots are super pretty :) Veronica, I always enjoy pictures of roses. What variety is yours?
    ...See More

Happy Thanksgiving

Q

Comments (7)
    Yes, nana, thank you ...you are such a 'joy' on this forum & I hope you will be celebrating w/your DD ...if not, then enjoy wherever you are. I've been setting up the buffet style 'Jewel Tea' tonight...house is ready (well, semi-clean, anyway!) LOL! Happy Thanksgiving, Holiday-ers! Jeanne S.
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

happy thanksgiving Y'all,

wind chill

A human body in 32F still air + A cooling affect of 32 F put into a high wind the energy drain at 32F might be equal to still air -5F in still air.

A citrus tree in still air at 32F will have a temp of 32F an will remain at 32F even if the wind is at 60 mph at a temp of 32F.

wind chill only applies to bird and mammals.

That is good news for our trees

Steve

myermike_1micha thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • 5 years ago

Shhh! We don't speak about windchill here in GA. lol. When we do have it, it's in the low 20's and we, Georgians, do feel it. I get the Buck Stove fired up when temps are that low.

myermike_1micha thanked Denise Becker
  • 5 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Mike and everyone!!

Greenman, I just discovered smoked paprika and have started adding it to my chili - makes a world of difference! I bet your eggs will be delicious!

myermike_1micha thanked Kelley_GA8a
  • 5 years ago

I grow my own peppers, then smoke them, dry them, and grind them up with salt, onion, and garlic powder for a delicious blend! Here are the Deviled Eggs that I prepped for tomorrow's festivities.

myermike_1micha thanked greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
  • 5 years ago

gobble til you wobble

myermike_1micha thanked bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
  • 5 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

myermike_1micha thanked calamondindave
  • 5 years ago

happy thanks giving day

I am going to a vegan tofurkey potluck today.

myermike_1micha thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • 5 years ago

Have a great Thanksgiving to friends and everybody else.

myermike_1micha thanked Monyet
  • 5 years ago

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday! Made some yummy candied yams as my contribution for my sis & BIL's Thanksgiving spread. Hoping that next year I'll be able to contribute some fresh citrus. lol (still waiting for the red centre limes to turn red - soon soon!). Had a low of 21F (-6C) this morning. Ugh. Supposed to dip down to the teens F tonight. We don't usually get these kinds of temps until deep into January.

Also, I have been a long-time smoked paprika user (I use it as a rub for wings mixed with ancho pepper and other good stuff).

myermike_1micha thanked jenny_in_se_pa
  • 5 years ago
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Been busy in the kitchen lately, Tuesday I made two vanilla and two samoa cheesecakes. Crazy thing is I can not eat a bite because of a food allergy. As they were cooling I made a burnt caramel sauce for them. Yesterday I made a pecan pie followed by an artichoke and spinach cheesy type dip, friends at a party last night devoured it.
    Okay, gotta go cook! Have a fun day all!!
    myermike_1micha thanked nanzjade z5 MA
  • 5 years ago

Nancy, I love a good dip! Yum!

Oh, a burnt caramel sauce...so a toffee sauce, eh? hahaha ;-)

Thanksgiving was a success here!

Josh

• PRO
    5 years ago

Hope everyone bad a Happy Thanksgiving :) and a successful Black Friday! Lol

Wow that smoke wafting off that chunk of paprika! Awesome shot and great looking spice. Bet it tasted so good with your Thanksgiving dinner!

jenny, I use gardenweb on my phone and while scrolling I saw your post. My thumb was still holding onto the screen along the margin and I swear I thought you said you were also a “long-time smoker.” Then I read “paprika user” and got confused lol! It all made sense when I moved my thumb off :)

• 5 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving! We had two days of gentle rain which washed all the smoke out of the air, and we are so grateful! Though we are quite far from the fires, the smoke flowed into the valley and then got stuck here, so we have had some nasty air quality, and everything is so lovely and clean today!

• 5 years ago

We, too, have had a lot of rain that cleared the air! We got just over 5 inches in the last couple days. Beautiful Autumn storms, heavy downpours, winds, and last night a deep misty fog on all the roads.

Josh

• 5 years ago

I had a very great black Friday. I saved so much money. I stayed home. My friends, Family and I don't need anything. We agreed not to buy things for each other.

Steve

• 5 years ago

For Black Friday, I went on a date and painted some pottery at one of those pottery lounges, then watched a comedy on Netflix. Didn't cost a thing!

Josh

• 5 years ago

We spent black Friday on the beach away from stores. Found a big black sharks tooth! (from a megalodon someone said).

• 5 years ago

I had to spend the afternoon in the kitchen and follow orders from headquarters, this is

what i had to do, i do not know anything about fixing turkey, not my favorite.

• 5 years ago

Bob,

holy toledo! That is exactly the kind of dish I would love. Love the looks of those shrimps! Yummy

Calamondin,

what a nice thing to do on that day. I actually go shopping on Halloween night when I know there is no one there. ha. Glad you found that rare tooth)

Josh,

between those awesoem pics of food and the description of the weather, I'd say you really love life, the fresh air, and the flavors of so many foods!! That is why I wish we lived closer. lol. No wonder you and I have been friends beyond ten years now! Oh, by the way, I love Deviled eggs! What do you flavor the stuffing with?

Denise, love to sit by the fire like that. I'll bet you must love the cold once in awhile just to do that.

Kelley, thank you))

Kev,

I thought the same thing too.lol Too funny. Hopeing you had a wonderful time.

Nancy and everyone else, just think, Christmas will be here before we know it. Ha

Thank you all, and I hop everyone stays safe through the Hoilidays'

Mike

• 5 years ago

Bob, I'd take shrimp and steak over turkey any day of the week! Looks bomb!

Mike, this has been one of the best seasons of my life. The weather has been incredible, and even better is having a companion to cuddle up with while the rain falls and the first fire of the year burns in the woodstove. I was just telling my significant other about you, and how we've been friends for over a decade. One of her co-workers is a succulent enthusiast and happened to mention how much she loves her Jades...and I was like, Oh boy you don't know the half of it! Let me show you some rare and wondrous Jades!!! hahaha

Take care, all!

Josh

• 5 years ago

Mike, I forgot to answer your question about the Deviled Eggs! So, my filling is pretty simple, and delicious. I lightly mash the yolks, then add in a lot of yellow mustard, and a little bit of mayonnaise. I season with garlic and onion powder, black pepper, and kosher salt. Then I very finely dice white onion and mix it all together. Finally, I add in lemon juice to loosen the yolk filling to the smooth consistency. If it's a little dry, I'll add in small amounts of mayo until just right. The final seasoning is smoked paprika over the top.

Josh

• 5 years ago

LOL @ kvetch! :-D I have misread many posts and couldn't even use the phone as an excuse. As a side note about that paprika - I use Penzey's paprikas (both smoked and Hungarian).

And as a follow-up to my post, I did end up having the opportunity to bring citrus to Thanksgiving - by "accident". I.e., I was moving the stand with my Australian red center lime and a fruit dropped off. Most on there are getting close to done but apparently the little bush decided to drop that one on it's own as I wasn't really jerking the plant around enough to generally dislodge fruit. I will make a thread about it as I took some pics and actually tried it. This has been its first year bearing fruit since I bought it from Logee's last year.

myermike_1micha thanked jenny_in_se_pa
  • 5 years ago

Josh, they are similar sauces I suppose, I make the burnt caramel by starting with just white sugar in a heavy bottom wide pan and letting it melt, swirl/tilt pan (don't stir!) until it smokes for a half minute or so, it's really a read the color type thing after you've made it a few times. Then carefully whisk in heavy cream and then butter. I often add a split vanilla bean, and on occasion bourbon. Always have an ice water bowl within reach, it's very dangerous at around 350F!!! I knew someone that accidentally dipped his fingers in making a croquembouche.

I enjoy deviled eggs too, they sound amazing with your homemade smoked paprika! Ohh you add lemon juice, brilliant! I'm going to try that sometime this week, I have plenty of eggs on hand (cheesecakes take a lot!) and newly opened jar of mayonnaise. Besides setting a timer for hard boiled eggs, I use one of those silicon color changing egg thermometer gadgets, love it.

That's awesome you found someone, you sound very happy :) She's a lucky gal, as it's great when the guy can cook well and grow their own veggies!!

___

Bob, fantastic holiday decor. I love that massive store fireplace! Wow! That's my cup of tea, I would live in a stone castle, medieval style or Victorian style home over all this cookie cutter crap that they build nowadays. Ohh and great looking steak n' shrimp! This weekend I had that but much smaller at a Vietnamese restaurant in a bowl of Bún (rice vermicelli with homemade fish sauce).

____

Mike, it's so dark out! Think I may cave and buy 1 or 2 lights for the racks.

Yep, Xmas will be here too soon, I keep it pretty simple and minimalist. How much stuff do people that already have stuff really need? I got my dad two used CD's from Savers, a Jackson Browne and Johnny Cash. That reminds me, I should make sure they play with out skipping. I got myself an old Celine Dion album too.

I don't want to put up and decorate the Xmas tree. I can just see my crazy little kitty climbing through it with all those wires and then knocking it over. Really it is just more stress for me.

____

Jenny, I will look for your thread later, the red lime is intriguing and tempting! I figured see how I do with getting my four citrus through the winter before spending big bucks for that one.

-Nancy

• 5 years ago

Thanks, Nancy! My gal made some caramel sauce to put on S'mores a couple weeks ago, and she slightly overcooked the sauce and it had that toasted toffee flavor :-)

Yes, the lemon juice gives that bright zing to the egg filling! You'll love it, I think.

Josh

• 5 years ago
    Josh caramel sauce on S’mores! That sounds ridiculously good!

Ok I made the deviled eggs! Lol you got me craving them. I used lemon as you suggested along with mayo, tiny dot of yellow mustard (I only like a little) dash of onion & turmeric powder, salt & pepper. (I am out of garlic powder & think fresh garlic may be too strong) Then used the mini ice cream scooper to fill them up, topped with chopped scallion (grocery store didn’t have fresh looking chives) and store bought smoked paprika. I ate a couple, letting them set up in the fridge before having a few more. I think the lemon addition is a keeper :)
  • 5 years ago

They look fantastic! I always forget the green onion!

Josh

• 5 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you (belatedly)! I see that everyone had a good time...Bob, that does look delicious! Josh, haven’t seen you around here in a while. Welcome back! Mike, hope you had a nice day! Steve, I’ve had tofurkey...not my favorite ;). I know I missed some, but I certainly wish all of you a great holiday season. Now you guys have me wanting to make deviled eggs...those pics are hard to look at when hungry! Lol

We had thanksgiving here with my family. It was nice. My trees appear fine so far although I did discover a small patch of scale today. I watered them today. I’m super paranoid now about scale - especially when I see ants. I ordered a bunch of ant bait stations. Night everyone!

myermike_1micha thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • 5 years ago

Hello, Laura! Thank you for the welcome back. I haven't been around much, but I've been busy with plants, friends, family, music, art, teaching...all the good things in life!

Josh

• 5 years ago

Greenman, don't know what music you like, my all time favorite c/d is Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warner and i also have Laura's Band C/D's, also good stuff, waiting for a video.(Don't want to push my luck).

Sometime in December, i have to go back in the kitchen to put together her favorite desert, Improved Cherries Jubilee, have to do that twice a year, with pleasure, like it myself.

Why improved? Short story, We used to go to New Orleans for vacations and stop at several places to dine, one is the famous Antoine's, there we always have Cherries Jubilee. When you order that desert they fix it table side and shut-of the lights. Then we found a better place and cheaper to dine on the south side of Chitown, where we live. Our waiter was Calvin, never forget this guy( likes his whiskey), he is the one that gave me "The Recipe", still use it, 30 years later.

myermike_1micha thanked Monyet
  • 5 years ago

Bob, I like a lot of different music, but interestingly I like that song Famous Blue Raincoat by Leonard Cohen.

Josh

• PRO
    5 years ago

I love reading what everyone else has been doing during their holidays! All these recipes sound so good too. I’ll have to try them sometime, maybe for Christmas

Steve, I agree you can save so much buying your necessary goods on Black Friday. It’s a bit hard to plan for the best deal, but definitely worth it for large appliances/electronics. I also stayed in on Friday and had some bonding time over video games

Dave, I didn’t think shark tooths could be found on the beaches of the Atlantic. That’s an awesome find

Bob, I don’t like turkey very much either. The shrimp dish you made looks super tasty. HQ had the right idea to let you cook that one up.

Mike, I had a great time eating good food with everyone. I can’t wait until Christmas for the second round :)

nancy, great tip about not stirring the sugar at the bottom. I’ve tried making marshmallows from scratch one time. Tasted delicious but the mess of boiling sugar water has stopped me from making it again. Maybe it’ll be cleaner if I try the swirl and tilt next time

Josh, it’s def comfier watching something on a cozy sofa in a warm and familiar room. That’s the ideal date plan when its raining buckets all day too.

Laura, I had one small patch of scale awhile ago too. I noticed it after I had seen an ant on the tree the day before. After I flushed the ant down the toilet, I don’t think there’s been anymore ants or scales. I hope they don’t return for you

myermike_1micha thanked Home