Thanksgiving Grace
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (12)
Related Discussions
Social graces
Comments (32)I'm guilty of using "you guys" when addressing a group. It's a habit I've had for a while! My grandma hates it though so I try not to do it around her. I also answer "thank you" with "sure" or "no problem" or "of course" and sometimes "you're welcome." It depends on the setting. If it's a big thing or a more formal event I will say "you're welcome" but if someone thanks me because I hold the door open for them in the bathroom, I will usually say something like "no problem" because it wasn't. But I suppose it's personal - I've certainly never intended or inferred any disrespect by any of these responses. There will always be standard social graces, like being nice and not chewing with your mouth open, but I think a lot of standards evolve. I am sure the ladies of several generations ago would be horrified by some of the perfectly acceptable politeness standards nowadays. :) All that being said, I do especially love seeing children with lovely manners as it doesn't happen very often. Most have some manners, and will say please or thank you (though sometimes prompted!) but I mean the ones that go above and beyond that. I have a set of young cousins (8 and 12 years old) from Tennessee that I love to observe. Whenever their mother calls them, they get up, walk over to her and answer "ma'am?" instead of yelling "what?" like a lot of children do. Any questions from adults are answered with a "yes ma'am" or "yes, sir" and they will hold doors open, say "excuse me" if they need to speak while their parents are talking, and just overall are extremely polite without being prompted because they have been taught all their lives....See MoreThanksgiving Turkey Delivered to My Door
Comments (15)Out by the cabin some brainiacs got the idea to plant "wild" turkeys. Well the turkeys they got weren't too wild and they *did* thrive out there! They also made quite a mess and caused a lot of destruction. When you see a 20+ pound "wild" turkey sitting on the telephone wire you understand why the phones were out a lot in the area! It was nice to see them in the area. They'd wander through in front of the cabin and one quiet day mama brought 7 or 8 little ones toddling through while I was sitting there. So when people finally had enough and complained enough the brainiacs got the idea they'd hire hunters to harvest them. Well, yes, turkeys aren't the brightest but when you put a couple dozen hunters out there popping caps in their parson's noses, their IQ increases quickly. Time for plan B. They then brought in a bunch of real wild turkeys and planted to "wild up" the bunch that's there. Also more people are hunting them so it straightened out a bit and people had their phones again....See MoreThanksgiving: Family Traditions?
Comments (33)On Wednesday night I was at work, sitting in my office doing some paperwork (I work all night) when I heard a most unusual noise...the door opening. I don't get too many visitors. Actually I don't get any visitors, especially at 10 PM on a holiday eve. It was one of my co-workers. He was trying to thaw the turkey we had been given by our benevolent employer, and wanted advice on cooking a Thanksgiving dinner for his two children (teenagers). He had purchased some vegetables and didn't even know what they were! (Probably butternut squash) After asking him a few questions, I realized that he doesn't know anything about cooking. I really didn't know what to tell him. Rather unusual to try to cook a Thanksgiving dinner when you have no idea how to cook anything. I wonder how it turned out?...See MoreGrace Rose Farm order
Comments (10)I’m in ND and in the same situation… same storms, probably, gave us 99 inches of snow this winter. I emailed Grace Rose Farms last week and my shipment is delayed shipping until next week, so I’ll probably get it Wed. Here’s what I am going to do. 1. Soak the roses in cold water for 24 hours. Thankfully by then, we will have above freezing temps during the daytime, so they should be fine in the garage. 2. I have coconut coir blocks on hand that I will add water to and make a lot of soiless mix. (DO YOU HAVE A LOWE’S OR HOME DEPOT OR MENARDS, OR HARDWARE STORE NEARBY? They will have some potting soil in large bags. Get some of that.) 3. Take a box that is not so huge that the roses will fit in. Line it with a garbage bag that has a hole cut in the bottom to let any extra water drain out, and add some soil mix in the bottom. Then put the roses at a slant so they fit in. Add soil to cover.. I make sure the soil is moist, but don’t drown the roses, and keep them in an unheated garage. Don’t let the soil get dried out. Don’t bring them in the house unless you have grow lights and that’s a whole different ball game. They should be fine until the time you plant them. I would not leave them for a very long time if they are already sprouting when they come. It’s ify because they are coming from California and will be exposed to warm temps along the way. If they are sprouted, plant them in their pots when you get them. You can always plant them in your garden after the snow is gone and it thaws enough to dig. By the way… WHAT ROSES DID YOU GET? I ordered 2 Distant Drums, Crazy Love and my free rose is Apricots N’ Cream. I’m pumped!! Happy Rose-ing in the North Country!!! Rebecca...See More
Related Stories

LIFE13 Ways to Make Your Thanksgiving More Meaningful
Long after the stove is off, you'll feel the warmth of love and gratitude when you try these ideas this Thanksgiving
Full Story
FALL AND THANKSGIVINGHouzzers' Tablescapes Capture the Thanksgiving Spirit
We feel blessed with abundance sharing all these wonderful, creative Thanksgiving table decorations by Houzz users
Full Story
HOLIDAYS10 Tips for a Calm, Heartfelt Thanksgiving
Go easy on yourself this year and allow some breathing room to enjoy the holiday
Full Story

MOST POPULARThanksgiving Tales: When the Turkey Tanks
Houzz readers prove adept at snatching victory from the jaws of entertaining defeat
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGDishwasher vs. Hand-Washing Debate Finally Solved — Sort Of
Readers in 8 countries weigh in on whether an appliance saves time, water and sanity or if washing by hand is the only saving grace
Full Story
FALL AND THANKSGIVINGCelebrate the Season With Colorful Visions of Fall
Houzz readers share what autumn looks like in the United States and beyond
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES15 Fall Decorating Ideas From Great Country Homes
Get the handsomeness of a pastoral estate even in an urban studio using color, artwork and accessories
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: 20 Vintage-Inspired Finds for Your Table
Mix a few older pieces with newer tabletop wares for an eclectic, collected Thanksgiving place setting
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Talkin' Turkey
20 kitchen essentials and extras for the star of your Thanksgiving feast
Full Story
cindy-6b/7a VA